"Your least favourite level"

FLips

• Paid Members

I agree with all the GTA ones so far, especially anything that involved flying anything or keeping a set distance fro something (they've put them in all of them i think, and none were much cop).

One level/mission on fallout 3 where you have to rescue two cunts from bigtown. They either cower behind a rock and won't follow me as i run for higher ground resulting in them getting butchered or they run of into the middle of a radioactive lake to punch some tooled up raider in the face and then just stand there until i go in there and tell them to get a fucking move on.

That one on the getaway 2 where you had to sneak into some where as the woman, and couldn't fight anyone or be detected which was no fun and far far too hard for its own good. Also some of the "drive from A to B you slagggg" bits from both games as driving started off great fun and soon got quite dull.

That one one max Payne where you just walked along a red line. I can see what they were trying but it must be the least enjoyable 15 minutes I've had playing a game

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
That one on the getaway 2 where you had to sneak into some where as the woman, and couldn't fight anyone or be detected which was no fun and far far too hard for its own good. Also some of the "drive from A to B you slagggg" bits from both games as driving started off great fun and soon got quite dull.

Stealth levels in non-stealth games are usually awful, but The Getaway II's were the worst ever. There was one, sneaking through a garage that I must have tried 50 times, purely because I'd suffered through the rest of the game, but I ended up giving up and never playing it again.

The game was almost saved by a piece of dialogue from the main character as he walks around, voiced by shit MMA fighter and terrible actor Dave Legeno.

"Now I've gotta go and see this Hector nonce. Hector? Sounds like a cunt's name."

• Paid Members

Stealth levels in non-stealth games are usually awful, but The Getaway II's were the worst ever. There was one, sneaking through a garage that I must have tried 50 times, purely because I'd suffered through the rest of the game, but I ended up giving up and never playing it again.

The game was almost saved by a piece of dialogue from the main character as he walks around, voiced by shit MMA fighter and terrible actor Dave Legeno.

"Now I've gotta go and see this Hector nonce. Hector? Sounds like a cunt's name."

I gave up after putting up with it in the hope of it getting better. It didn't, and that level was the last straw.

I quite enjoyed the first but the second was so very dire.

• Paid Members

I dont know how to make this anymore detailed...

Has anyone ever played 'Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?' on the Mega Drive?

As soon as you turned the game on, instant boot to head. WTF did you have to do, the very first thing.. what?

One level/mission on fallout 3 where you have to rescue two cunts from bigtown. They either cower behind a rock and won't follow me as i run for higher ground resulting in them getting butchered or they run of into the middle of a radioactive lake to punch some tooled up raider in the face and then just stand there until i go in there and tell them to get a fucking move on.

If you've gone to Big Town first you can then fast travel there as soon as you leave the police station and it will get rid of all that bullshit. Normally I wouldn't dream of fast travelling in order to shortcut a mission but I made an exception in the case of those annoying bastards, mainly because I knew that I needed to gt them back in order to get the Lucky 8 Ball.

• Paid Members

Vanilla Dome annoyed me more. Any level where the screen pushes you is awful enough, but the one in the cave with the raising floors and ceilings made me angry. The secret exit you need Yoshi for but you can't see anything coming and don't have enough room in some spaces to dodge properly so he ends up running off and falling down a gap.

AIRWOLF - ZX SPECTRUM

airwolf-01.png

See ^^^^^ that picture? You are the helicopter, trying to get past that blue wall. You shoot the wall, and a square block disappears. Hit the wall, and you die. So you have to shoot at least ten blocks to get through the wall. Easy aye? Well, not if the game suffers from the trickiest-to-maneuver gravity of all time and the blocks of the wall reappear after a few seconds.

And this cunt of a level appears on the second fucking screen of the game. I tried for hours to get past this bastad level, to no avail.

Look as this smug cunt on youtube. He gets past it straight away. I hate him. I'm sure he put in some kind of cheat to make the gravity stop and the wall permanently disappear. Wanker.

(As you can tell, I'm still not over how difficult this game was.)

• Paid Members

:laugh:

I like your style, that's what this thread is all about. Almost any suffering with a bit like that is compounded when some bastard on Youtube has his speed run through the level up there and makes it look totally effortless.

Heh, seeing this thread has brought THE RAGE back. I know a few of these levels, particularly the DOOM one, I remember thinking there were a few too many Baron of Hell things in that stage. The Cyberdemon totally isn't necessary and telefragging it brings great satisfaction. Also, the extremely large wave of flying tomatoes blocking the exit is totally, totally unnecessary. Sick level design.

Now, for some rage.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - The Great Bay Temple

First let me set the scene. This is probably going to contain minor spoilers, I guess.

You enter the Zora part of the continent and a Zora guitarist in a band dies in front of you. He'd tried to rescue the eggs of his bandmate which had been kidnapped and she is now mute as a result of a her grievances. All fine so far, and you get the ability to morph into a cool Zora. Good. Cue some interludes where you find Zora land and a bit more of what's going on. The useless Zora singers eggs are in all sorts of enemy fortresses and enemy riddled undersea grottos. Obviously, you must be the one to get them for her! This is a fairly irritating task, but you travel through some stealth sections with a series of boss fights to get some eggs in the fortress. This takes a while, and you also have to go spelunking in the water grottos which is fidgety and annoying to get the lady her eggs. When this is done, a giant turtle with a tree on it's back decides it wants to take you to some temple to top it off.

Ugh. People bitch about the Water Temple in OoT (which I've never really understood, I guess I was lucky to find all the keys and the boss is really pathetic), but I believe this is much, much more irritating. It's something akin to a partially sunken mechanical factory, filled with one-way water currents, dead ends and many, many cogs and gears. It requires the combined use of Fire & Ice arrows to temporarily thaw obstructive ice and create short-lived precarious stepping stones to cross enemy infested waters. There is a main hub room with tons of switches which are only accessible when you've activated other parts of the temple. This is not a new thing for such a game, but the sheer scale of this mechanic on this level warrants notice. Parts of the temple have switches you must activate in sequence to allow you to progress, though sometimes if you fail odd jumps then you fall and must reactivate them in order to get back to your previous position. The music is unnerving. The enemies are annoying. The 2 sub bosses are difficult. The boss is even harder.

Once is enough, right?

Apparently not. The very first time I played this, having got a good 2 hours into the temple and having struggled with the frogspawn sub boss thing and the gecko, an "incident" was to happen. After my time investment, I was immersed in the level and intent on finishing it. However, my brother was rounding up JLM's things for him as he was travelling back home that day. In an act of true mindlessness, he ejected the game cartridge while I was playing it. The game didn't even belong to JLM. He had no idea why he'd done this, and wasn't even consciously aware of it at first. I remember the still image of Link on the walkways of the stage jumping over the water burned onto the screen. My brother's pure apologetic tone diffused me slightly, though I felt like I had wasted 2 hours of my life.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

OK. Attempt 2 was conducted grudgingly - how it feels to do something in a game, find out it hasn't saved and then face up to the task of doing it again. It's tough to work up the motivation. Anyway, having got a feel for the level this time, things went a little quicker. Not too much, mind, precarious platforming and fidgety time-pressured runs across hazardous areas don't tend to improve so quick. The frogspawn boss thing actually seemed more difficult this time, but it still went down leaving me not too damaged. Things seemed good. I was about 3/4 of the way through the level I'd say when, without warning, the screen goes black and all noise ceased.

Fucking power cut.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only on my THIRD attempt I would finally beat this dungeon, though not before dying on my first attempt on the boss. This wasn't actually too bad as you can restart right outside of it. The boss is a cunt. Well, it's actually a big fish thing, but go figure. It's quite tough, and probably fairly enjoyable for a Zelda boss, but I was in no mood after effectively having done the Great Bay Temple three times. As much as I quite enjoyed the rest of Majora's Mask, I would never even consider playing it again because of this experience.

Just thinking about it gives me the shivers...

:laugh:

I like your style, that's what this thread is all about. Almost any suffering with a bit like that is compounded when some bastard on Youtube has his speed run through the level up there and makes it look totally effortless.

Mr Youtube cheated. He fucking must have. Either he (yes ladies, it will be a "he") knew somebody at Elite who programmed the fucker and got them to remove the hard bits, learned Z80 assembler code and removed the levels himself, or typed out some POKEs from Your Spectrum or something to get around it. I refuse to believe that the bastard did not cheat.

There were screenshots of further levels inside Crash magazine at the time, I can only assume that they got a copy of the game without that second fucking level. If I was the art editor at Crash at the time, I would have fashioned a two-colour (magenta and red) blocky penis, spurting out pixelated man-goo on that fucking, fucking wall, in all of it's attribute-clash glory on a screenshot, and had a A3 colour poster of the cunt in the centre pages instead of the typical Oli Frey poster. I'd have been sacked, mind.

• Paid Members

Here's a few that have been annoying me highly lately for all different reasons;

Quake 4 - The Nexus (Last Boss)

So I picked Quake 4 up for a fiver the other week and I really got into it. The game itself is particularly quite easy even on the harder difficulties and despite being a bit too long towards the end it has some really good parts in it. The Stroggification part is fantastic and they don't ruin the game by giving you any stupid powers like time control or laser or any other generic space marine bollocks. I sailed through it and only had difficulty on some parts, but managed them. Then I got to the last boss...

The first part you fight the Makron, which is the leader of the Stroggs as far as I know and he's not really hard at all, despite his size.

quake4_20070608170718.jpg

Makron.jpg

So you kill this thing twice (the first time you only blow it's legs off) and this came as no challenge. Then you fight the Nexus.

The Nexus is the brain or heart of the entire base and it doesn't attack you. Sounds easy right?

Wrong.

0.jpg

Although it doesn't attack you, you're stuck in a medium sized room with teleporters in every corner and two levels from which numerous amounts of the final enemies in the game spawn from. The majority of them have rocket launchers and rail guns, they can fly, teleport and take tons of ammo to kill. Now I was under the assumption that you had to hold off these bad guys until the Nexus' sheilds lower and allow you to shoot at it. The game gives you no hints as to how to beat it so I spent around 10 minutes straight wasting all my health and ammo fending off these monsters until I couldn't take any more and they overwhelmed me. I tried this about 6 times and got nowhere and it really annoyed me so I looked on youtube to see what to do and it turns out I was doing it all wrong. See that small blue beam coming from the top? It's behind the health bar. Apparently I had to work out that I needed to shoot that to destroy the shields :/

So the last boss wasn't hard at all unless you figured out that a small blue beam is the Nexus' weak spot. What a pain in the arse, some hints would be nice.

DOOM II - All of it on Co-operative mode

3413-doom2.jpg

So I've finished DOOM 1 and went to CEX to buy DOOM 3 - Resurrection of evil on the original XBOX as it had DOOM 2, DOOM 2 master levels and Final DOOM as extras. It was only a fiver so I thought it was a bargain. Brought it home and me and my mate stuck it on and went into Co-op mode. The first level was how you'd expect it to be, the usual early solider enemies and Imps and not much more. We got to about level 3 and suddenly there's Barons, Cyberdemons, and allsorts of other boss enemies just wandering around, on Level 3 :/

So we kept playing as it was a laugh and it's still really enjoyable, but what the fuck? Why is the game so hard on the first few levels? DOOM 2 isn't like the other DOOM either, so instead of episodes you play one long episode with around 30 levels. We're not even a tenth into the levels and we already have to fight off dozens of boss enemies. We're still going to play through it, but it looks like one big struggle.

Here's the level that annoyed us most so far, it's called Tricks and Traps and every single room spams you with lava, boss enemies or both.

Always found the nexus feller easy to be honest. Quake IV is a cracking game though. Wish it had a sizeable online community. Fast, fluid deathmatch. I cant bear Unreal Tournament III now and have come to realise that I actualy really, really hate the series because the levels are beyond generic and make your character feel tiny, and the whole quasi-futuristic feel of the thing just gets to me after fifteen minuets. Feels like I am in a videogame, within a videogame. As opposed to just ... well ... shooting the shit out of people in poorly lit corridors.

• Paid Members
Always found the nexus feller easy to be honest. Quake IV is a cracking game though. Wish it had a sizeable online community. Fast, fluid deathmatch. I cant bear Unreal Tournament III now and have come to realise that I actualy really, really hate the series because the levels are beyond generic and make your character feel tiny, and the whole quasi-futuristic feel of the thing just gets to me after fifteen minuets. Feels like I am in a videogame, within a videogame. As opposed to just ... well ... shooting the shit out of people in poorly lit corridors.

It's not that it was hard, it's just I had no idea what to do so found it hard doing the wrong thing. And please don't say that about UTIII, I bought it today :/

Archived