"Your least favourite level"

FLips

Halo 3 : Cortana

08_cortana_017.jpg

Nothing too hard, but it's just an incredibly annoying, tension breaking gauntlet run of the flood. And the flood are never, ever fun to fight a whole level with. It's a shame the level even exists to break up what an epic tail end the game had [Arc & Covenant being two of the best levels in the series history, especially on co-op].

Streets Of Rage : Stage 8

sor36.jpg

You go backwards. And you fight every boss in the game. And the item crates willingly fuck themselves at you. I always found myself doing fine on the harder settings right up until this level. I remember almost always being down to my last life heading in to fight Mr. X because of the twins outside his doors [those Blaze lookalikes that hopped around and had you kicking around the screen hoping you would eventually hit them].

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I hated the Library level when I played Halo. I say it in the past tense because after I finished it I never played the level again. If I ever play the campaign, I always skip it.

It was incredibly dull and must have been a lazy developers dream. The same small area and sequences multiplied and cloned enough times to create a full level. I didnt feel it was a test or big challenge, I just lost the will to live while playing it and wasnt entertained.

The same small area and sequences multiplied and cloned enough times to create a level.

Thats the entire first game, bar one or two levels. The developers had to rush the game out to launch. Notice how the second half of the game is almost all the first half of the game in reverse, or upside down. It's a shame because the game starts very, very promising. I never 'got' the whole Halo thing until Halo 2, and even that had it's fair share of repetition [those later levels on board the foreign crafts again - just keep it to the grass, Bungie!].

I hated the Library level when I played Halo. I say it in the past tense because after I finished it I never played the level again. If I ever play the campaign, I always skip it.

It was incredibly dull and must have been a lazy developers dream. The same small area and sequences multiplied and cloned enough times to create a full level. I didnt feel it was a test or big challenge, I just lost the will to live while playing it and wasnt entertained.

The first time I played Halo The Library was actually one of my favourite levels. I really bought into it and it struck me that this was exactly how being attacked by a force called The Flood would feel like. I was genuinely suprised to find out that the level had inspired so much hatred amongst people.

Subsequent playthroughs do expose it's flaws but for me that initial run through was amazing and given that Halo is an FPS that has more levels that reward repeated playthorughs than any other I can think of I can easily forgive the fact that The Library doesn't.

Not a level as such but on my second playthough of Fallout 3 I've managed to go straight to a place the game didn't signpost and as a result have skipped out a fair section of the main quest. If this was my first playthough this would really piss me off.

• Paid Members
Notice how the second half of the game is almost all the first half of the game in reverse, or upside down.

Honestly no. As long as some levels are indoors/outdoors and they mix it up a bit I dont really notice. It was only the library level that smacked me over the head with repetition.

• Paid Members

Yeah I loved The Library the first time, particularly on Legendary. We died a fuckload of times, but JTL's point about it being exactly how you'd imagine facing the flood to be is spot on. It was (quite literally) backs to the walls, firing until your last bullet against a scary and endless wave of enemies. "Hold your position" is a pretty lazy mechanic and it wasn't an amazing work of level design, but as an experience on the first play through I thought it was pretty exhilerating despite the frustration.

Heh, SOR stage 8 is a bit of a bastard. Some of the bosses in the original are just actively unfair, which means that fighting them in succession is kind of a chore. SOR2 has a boss gauntlet as well but there are things you can do to beat most of them. Especially if you're Axel. Axel is just too good in that game. GRAAAND UPPAAAH. Ahem.

I remember playing through SOR1 online with Moo a long time ago. He chose to join Mr. X. That was a mistake. There are times when a guy makes an especially bad decision in life and it is required that a friend or colleague must whup his ass. This was one of those times.

The Streets of Rage twins are a nightmare, until you realise they're suckers for a well timed back kick.

EDIT: Just remembered how much I used to hate the castle on Alex Kidd in Miracle World, but can't for the life of me remember why. It was really tough though.

I think that's as far as I ever got. I couldn't get past one room that filled up with water. There was probably a trick to it that I could figure out now, but my Alex Kidd skillz have regressed to the point that I doubt I'll ever reach that level again.

• Paid Members

I watched a walkthrough of the Library on google to remind myself, and I got the same feelings. Not only was it repetitive but it was so dark. I probably didnt know what the fuck was happening half the time. I'm glad some of you enjoyed it, but even on my first time I didnt like it.

• Paid Members

Being several years behind the herd I was dreading Wrong Side of The Tracks after reading comments on here. However, my several year delay did allow time for people to come up with solutions, including one YouTuber who did a clip with six different ways to complete it.

The one that worked for me (eventually) was to forget the whole idea of riding beside the train and instead ride as far ahead as possible without losing the train off the menu, ride up the verge to the bridge over the tunnel, get off the bike and jump over the edge when the train was going past, land on the roof, then shoot the fuckers in the back like a coward.

SANDBOX ~!~!

Halo 3 : Cortana

08_cortana_017.jpg

Nothing too hard, but it's just an incredibly annoying, tension breaking gauntlet run of the flood. And the flood are never, ever fun to fight a whole level with. It's a shame the level even exists to break up what an epic tail end the game had [Arc & Covenant being two of the best levels in the series history, especially on co-op].

This is the one that immediatly sprung to my mind aswell. Its just so tedious, and then you have to go all the way back through it again to get out. Fucking annoying.

• Paid Members

Echoing the hatred for Sandopolis Act 2. There always seems to be one level on each Sonic game that stick out like a sore thumb. Sonic 1 had Labyrinth, Sonic 2 had Metropolis, Sonic 3 & Knuckles has Sandopolis and Marble Garden. I can't stand any of them :(. Marble Garden is a right pain in the arse because it seemingly has no route to it at all, it's just jump on the spinning top things and hope you don't end up in spikes or being crushed.

If Cortana is the one where the entire level is just brown and Cortana pops up on the screen every 5 seconds to completely kill any momentum then I too also hate that level. Though to be fair, I don't really rate any of the Halo single player campaigns at all. Mediocrity at best.

Being several years behind the herd I was dreading Wrong Side of The Tracks after reading comments on here. However, my several year delay did allow time for people to come up with solutions, including one YouTuber who did a clip with six different ways to complete it.

The one that worked for me (eventually) was to forget the whole idea of riding beside the train and instead ride as far ahead as possible without losing the train off the menu, ride up the verge to the bridge over the tunnel, get off the bike and jump over the edge when the train was going past, land on the roof, then shoot the fuckers in the back like a coward.

SANDBOX ~!~!

Wish I knew that. I always got past the mission the dirty way. Spawning a jetback, triggering the train, and floating along up to the train with Uzi #1 & Uzi #2.

Wish I knew that. I always got past the mission the dirty way. Spawning a jetback, triggering the train, and floating along up to the train with Uzi #1 & Uzi #2.

You must be seriously crap at games if you had to cheat to get past that mission. It's not that hard.

I echo the hate for Zero's missions in San Andreas, they were an absolute pain in the ass and I didn't enjoy any of them.

On the harder difficulties, some parts of God of War could be infuriatingly difficult, particularly the level at the end when you have to fend off the hundreds of Kratos clones on that ledge. Bloody impossible at times. Still though, what a fucking game.

Goldeneye - Control

goldeneye-01.jpg

Goldeneye, to me, is still the greatest First Person Shooter ever and in it's time was totally unbeatable. This level, however, was a fucking nightmare. Completing it on "Agent" difficulty setting was survivable but we all know that to get the two secret levels, ALL levels have to be completed on "Secret Agent" and "00 Agent." Cue wall mounted guns murdering you from virtually the moment you leave the lift. If you manage to survive them and the guard with granades, you then get to experience Goldeneye's most frustrating section - Natalya fucking about with the computers for what seems like ages whilst you try and protect her from enimies trying to kill her.

TOTAL NIGHTMARE!

Oh and check out this sick fuck doing it on 00 Agent difficulty setting in under 5 minutes. Some people should be banned for being too good at games.

Archived