The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

This Indian side are not awful players of spin. I'm not having that at all.

Really? They're utterly incapable of playing spin, as the latest test against Sri Lanka has shown. 'Indians play spin bowling well' is a tired stereotype that has no basis in reality, at test, ODI or T20 level, and is as relevant today as 'the West Indies produce brilliant fast bowlers'. India used to, they had some remarkably gifted players of spin, but this current Indian side is unquestionably awful at playing it. Give them a slightly turning pitch and they'll be found wanting.

• Paid Members

You reply to a post 12 months old and by someone with better things to do with life.

Debate cricket with me, my knowledge is limited by beefy bothams middle stump.

Edited by Tommy!

Yeah, strange post to reply to, Smokin'

:laugh: It was just something which stuck in my head because it was so obviously wrong. When I watched the Indians get bowled out cheaply to decent spin bowling, it made me think of that discussion. I'm not as obsessive as that post suggest though...I hope!

Edited by Smokin'

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Paid Members

Apologies in pulling a Lazarus on this thread.

Anyone playing at all this year? I never got the chance to at school because we essentially played rugby 13 months per year, with the odd bit of athletics stapled on. However, a good mate of mine who captained a uni side helped train me up the other year and I had my first club game a few weeks ago.

I decided to learn to bowl leg spin because I wanted to, despite being naturally athletic and quite obviously suited to pace bowling. So I'm skipping in and bowling like Richie Benaud on smack at the moment. Absolutely no accuracy, but I can actually get it to turn quite a bit, which is rewarding.

My batting is even worse. As our captain said of me: "When you hit it, it stays hit". Unfortunately, I hit one at about the same regularity as Hayley's Comet, so scored a disgustingly agricultural straight pull for 4, before being bowled through the gate immediately after.

I was absolutely shit, but it was an incredibly fun experience. It's also a real departure for me in terms of the sports I am used to playing. I have taken up cricket and golf in the past 12 months, both of which require you stay quite relaxed. I'm completely used to rugby, distance running and weights, none of which really engender being laid back.

On a separate note, have managed to get to quite a few live games this season including the hated Surrey vs. my beloved Somerset last Friday in a T20. Despite being a pig, I defy anyone to find anything more satisfying than Chris Gayle hitting enormous sixes, particularly against a team captained by Gareth Batty. Got Somerset vs. Pakistan in a few weeks, which will mean that I have seen every major country play apart from New Zealand.

It's wonderful being able to hop on a train, get to the County Ground within 40 minutes and watch a day of good quality sport for about £15. Anyone else getting to a game or two this season?

Edited by Gus Mears

• Moderators

I'm taking my nephew to his first international cricket match soon. Unfortunately it's Twenty fucking bastard shitting twenty instead of proper cricket. My original plans of taking him to watch a county championship game were put the kibosh on by his father lest I "put him off the game for life".

• Paid Members

Your nephew would have absolutely loved day two of Gloucester vs. Glamorgan from a few weeks ago, Butch. The most notable things were David Lloyd getting out on 99 and me missing Graham Wagg hitting the best shot of the day because I was in the khazi.

There must have been literally dozens of people in attendance. I was the youngest one there by 83 years and a window broke in one of the flats for absolutely no reason and started pissing glass down on top of spectators. It was absolutely wonderful day.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

You get out too the Swalec much Butch? I headed down for a 50 over game a few years ago but it was rained off. Im keen to get too another. Between 2006-2010 I went to several games a year but unfortunately my family take up too much of my time now?