The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

Yeah, fair point. Goalies and wicketkeepers are the one area where you can make the most direct comparison, and there the cricketers unquestionably outshine their footballing counterparts. Then again, I'm not sure Karen Bardsley would be too far behind Joe Hart in the pecking order – but that says more about him than the quality of female footballers. 

• Paid Members

I've umpired a couple of women's county championship matches. The standard wasn't great to be honest, though it was the bottom division so perhaps that's not an overall indicator. Lincolnshire's captain plays in Division 4 of the local men's Saturday league. Which again isn't a great standard. 

The best female player who plays regularly in Lincolnshire is former England player Arran Brindle. She plays mainly in division 1 of the same league. Her team had both Charlotte Edwards and Suzie Bates of New Zealand play for them in a game last year. Edwards got a golden duck. Arran also played last year in the women's T20 super league and was one of the better players. 

So while the world cup was good to watch and great for England fans I think the Standard has a long way to go to get anywhere near the men's. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Indeed, much like Atherton, a great bowling career curtailed by a cruel back injury.

Nasser Hussain was a better bowler younger. And he was even more dogshit after 21 at it.

• Paid Members

One of the best sights in cricket that...a part time bowler that comes on to bowl a bit of filth and ends up breaking a big partnership. Brilliant!

• Paid Members

TRJ called up and Finn put on 'standby' for the next test.

Finn really has to be one of the most uninspiring England bowlers of recent times. He's not even that young anymore, 28, and just seems to have got mildly more shit year-on-year while still getting a handful of test appearances when everyone else is broken. I had so much hope for him too. He's the Gary Ballance of bowling. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

17 hours ago, The Curious Orange said:

I watched the video of Trescothick's test wicket after that Ian Bell one above, then noticed it was the 1st innings of the match and Pakistan had only scored 40 odd. 

Trescothick came on first change that day, ahead of such bowling luminaries as Craig Shite and Ian Salisbury. Apart from the wicket Trescothick had Inzamam absolutely plumb LBW when he was on about 10, not given and he went on to make 140 odd. 

Finn looks like he should be a fearsome bowler but often trundles in like a poor man's Neil Mallender. His confidence is shot to bits. 

Edited by Lion_of_the_Midlands
To slag off Finn.

• Paid Members

It's that wonderful time of year when cricketers draw shit pictures of other cricketers for charity. I preferred some of the older editions of this, although Joe Root has done an excellent Graham Gooch. Link here if anyone is interested: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/cricketunited/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from= 

Gary Ballance has drawn Butch. 

s_l1600.jpg

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Anyone know why in the T20 group stage they only play 14 games (six opponents home and away, one only at home, one only away) rather than the seemingly more sensible "play everyone home and away"? Surely they could squeeze in two extra games, particularly given they are meant to be money-spinners.