What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Super Hans saved the series, he was the best thing about it. The first episode was great and the paintball one, but the rest, while having some top moments, weren't all that.

Dobby def has run her course, she was good for 2 series where Mark was trying to get her and failing.

Just spunked my whole dick off watching the last four episodes of The Wire Season 3. Fucking AMAZING. I get the formula now, and I love it. Though brilliant by any other standards, I now see why the first 6/7 eps of the season seem low on incident. They're weaving layer upon layer of stories forming the complex narrative and multiple motivations for all the characters and their arcs. You don't realise quite how much until you get blitzed with payoff after payoff at the back end of the season, and by that point you're picking your jaw up having watched THE BEST SHOW EVER. I'm pretty sure I posted something similar in this thread around the end of my watching of Season 2 (and maybe even 1), but I just can't help being so enthused at perfection of the craft. Phenomenal, just phenomenal. The show just feels once-in-a-lifetime good.

I'm aware my observations are about 5 years old by the way, but it's all new to me, so go bollocks. And obviously please don't be to spoilery in the thread if you don't mind, I'll be cracking on with Season 4 soon. I'm excited but totally clueless of where they'll go next with it. I'm one day quite excited to read that Wire thread on here, hope it's still kicking about.

• Paid Members

I have just watched season 1 again after about 3 years and it's scary how much stuff i didn't pick up on the first viewing.

That's not to say i didn't have the "BEST SHOW EVER" banner out first time round.

Next level TV.

• Paid Members
Just spunked my whole dick off watching the last four episodes of The Wire Season 3. Fucking AMAZING. I get the formula now, and I love it. Though brilliant by any other standards, I now see why the first 6/7 eps of the season seem low on incident. They're weaving layer upon layer of stories forming the complex narrative and multiple motivations for all the characters and their arcs. You don't realise quite how much until you get blitzed with payoff after payoff at the back end of the season, and by that point you're picking your jaw up having watched THE BEST SHOW EVER. I'm pretty sure I posted something similar in this thread around the end of my watching of Season 2 (and maybe even 1), but I just can't help being so enthused at perfection of the craft. Phenomenal, just phenomenal. The show just feels once-in-a-lifetime good.

I'm aware my observations are about 5 years old by the way, but it's all new to me, so go bollocks. And obviously please don't be to spoilery in the thread if you don't mind, I'll be cracking on with Season 4 soon. I'm excited but totally clueless of where they'll go next with it. I'm one day quite excited to read that Wire thread on here, hope it's still kicking about.

You lucky bastard! As utterly spectacular as season 3 is, somehow season 4 is even better. As our own Woyzeck once said "Season 4 of the Wire is the greatest season of television, ever."

Though I was depressed for about 3 hours after watching the season 4 finale.

Edited by LaGoosh

Was Season 4 the schools one?

I still feel the second series was the best. The story of the failing docks and the proud Polacks was just really touching. Whilst all series of The Wire dealt with the results of poverty and social failure, the second series was the one that dealt most closely with the cause - the slow decline of American industry.

I think it's time to watch the whole lot again to be honest. I'm still torn on which was better, The Wire or Deadwood, but they're so different it doesn't really matter. The Wire is probably the peak of television, I can't see someone making something that good again.

Watched Restless on BBC1 the last two days, very good WW2 spy SOE thing starring Rufus Sewell, Michelle Dookery and her out of Captain America, Hayley Atwell. Worth a watch if you like Wish Me Luck, Charlotte Gray and that kind of thing as well as Spooks.

Superb!

I think the best thing about The Wire is how worthy it felt. It seemed really important, like you're watching really vital stuff and getting the secret underbelly of how society works (or doesn't). Watching it, you feel like you know more and are just better than the people who don't. It's a ticket to be in a special, superior club. It's basically a Guardian subscription for the price of one illegal download.

I think Breaking Bad might be better telly, but it might just be more recent.

Edited by King Pitcos