What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

The thing with Broadchurch was that the first couple of episodes felt a little uninspired and then it picked up. Its certainly one of the best things on TV at the moment, and probably Tennants best TV acting role. The sly critique of middle England on ITV, of all places, is rather nice too.

To be honest I was tempted to give up on Broadchuch two weeks in because it seemed like msot other ITV shows. Well that and the slow motion effect they used for the first couple of weeks, that really irked me. But its pretty tidy.

Anybody been enjoying Hannibal? Well they've pulled the 4th episode.

Link

Small spoiler for episode 4 in the article, deleted in the below.

The show's creator Bryan Fuller told Variety that he asked NBC not to air the fourth instalment

Fuller explained that "given the cultural climate in the US" following Monday's attack and the recent Sandy Hook school shooting, it wouldn't be appropriate to air such an episode.

"I didn't want to have anyone come to the show and have a negative experience," Fuller explained. "Whenever you [write] a story and look at the sensational aspects of storytelling, you think, 'This is interesting metaphorically, and this is interesting as social commentary'."

He continued: "With this episode, it wasn't about the graphic imagery or violence. It was the associations that came with the subject matter that I felt would inhibit the enjoyment of the overall episode... It was my own sensitivity."

Clips from Hannibal's fourth episode will be available online in the US, and the episode will air in full in other territories.

NBC also insisted that Hannibal's continuity will not be affected by its decision to cut an episode.

Hannibal will jump ahead in schedule by next airing episode five, with its finale now scheduled for June 20.

Not sure how it can't affect continuity.

Has it start airing here yet? and how many episodes have aired?

Really uncertain on the continuity thing as one of the neat things about Hannibal is that it's been quite serialised rather than most American crime procedurals that tend to be standalone episodes - the third episode is all about the fallout from the first case rather than a new one..

Apparently they're only not showing the episode in America, so if you watch at the UK pace you'll see the 4th episode. If you watch at the American pace apparently Canada will be showing the 4th episode this week, so it should be available in the usual places..

• Paid Members

Link

The show's creator Bryan Fuller told Variety that he asked NBC not to air the fourth instalment

Fuller explained that "given the cultural climate in the US" following Monday's attack and the recent Sandy Hook school shooting, it wouldn't be appropriate to air such an episode.

"I didn't want to have anyone come to the show and have a negative experience," Fuller explained. "Whenever you [write] a story and look at the sensational aspects of storytelling, you think, 'This is interesting metaphorically, and this is interesting as social commentary'."

He continued: "With this episode, it wasn't about the graphic imagery or violence. It was the associations that came with the subject matter that I felt would inhibit the enjoyment of the overall episode... It was my own sensitivity."

Clips from Hannibal's fourth episode will be available online in the US, and the episode will air in full in other territories.

NBC also insisted that Hannibal's continuity will not be affected by its decision to cut an episode.

Hannibal will jump ahead in schedule by next airing episode five, with its finale now scheduled for June 20.

That's the weird thing about US series. Even their short run ones (Hannibal is 13 episodes) are quite long and usually have a few unneeded episodes. Dexter has become notorious for it. They just feel like padding and it seems that they plan out a start, middle and end then cram in a few other episodes around. Saying that the writing on Hannibal so far has been great and I honestly wouldn't have expected that from them.

I watched a few episodes of Community (the election one, the Pulp Fiction party one and the one where Ben tries to retain custody of his unborn son) on an obscure cable channel on Friday night. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't spleen-burstingly funny like Arrested Development or whatever.

• Paid Members
Are you up to date with Community?

That episode with the puppets was one of the worst things I've ever seen.

I haven't watched episodes 9 or 10 yet, sir. I wasn't too enamoured with the claymation episode, so I doubt I'll like the venture into Muppet-dom.

It's finger on the pulse of modern zeitgeist is slowly slipping, it's sad to say. Which is why - in the grand scheme of things - I'm thankful Spaced only made two seasons.

Is Abed still with Rachel? I quite liked that storyline, and think the Mr.Nadir deserves a lady, but I'm not vibing on the Troy/Britta relationship. The obvious lack of chemistry between them is cringeworthy at points.

I watched a few episodes of Community (the election one, the Pulp Fiction party one and the one where Ben tries to retain custody of his unborn son) on an obscure cable channel on Friday night. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't spleen-burstingly funny like Arrested Development or whatever.

Watch Season 1 and Season 2 in full. It was a phenomenal show, once it got cooking.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

Link

That's the weird thing about US series. Even their short run ones (Hannibal is 13 episodes) are quite long and usually have a few unneeded episodes. Dexter has become notorious for it. They just feel like padding and it seems that they plan out a start, middle and end then cram in a few other episodes around. Saying that the writing on Hannibal so far has been great and I honestly wouldn't have expected that from them.

You find that with alot of US series. Ones like CSI are the fucking worst for it, each series running for around 25 episodes and only having one or two story-arcs for the whole series. Networks seem to order so many episodes for the year so that then they only have to have a handful of shows in which to wedge in 15 minutes of adverts per hour.

Anyone whose watched Blue Bloods knows that it is another one guilty of this. In series 1 it had a 'Knights of The Blue Templar' story-arc (which was basically about a rogue section of police officers) which progressed slightly every 3-4 episodes, then seemed to completely disappear with no explanation whatsoever

• Paid Members
I think 8 is the magic number for an amount of episodes in a series. The second half of Oz extended season 4 was terrible and that's my favourite programme ever.

6-8 is a great amount. Have the Americans ever done that for a long running series (outside of the short run first seasons like Breaking Bad, Walking Dead etc)