What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
I think the best thing about The Wire is how worthy it felt. It seemed really important, like you're watching really vital stuff and getting the secret underbelly of how society works (or doesn't). Watching it, you feel like you know more and are just better than the people who don't. It's a ticket to be in a special, superior club. It's basically a Guardian subscription for the price of one illegal download.

I think Breaking Bad might be better telly, but it might just be more recent.

No no no tell me I wasn't imagining things. That word was not best.

• Paid Members

Started watching The Shield on Lovefilm Instant over Christmas. Only midway through the second season at the minute but I'm really enjoying it. It's not blowing me away or anything, bar a few great bits, but it's well worth the watch so far.

Started watching The Shield on Lovefilm Instant over Christmas. Only midway through the second season at the minute but I'm really enjoying it. It's not blowing me away or anything, bar a few great bits, but it's well worth the watch so far.

That's what I love about The Shield, it's not amazing by any sense of the word, it's just consistently solid.

When I was younger I had the first season of the Spider-Man cartoon on various VHSs. This is the one that ran from 94-98 (I think). Anyway, I only ever saw that first series, as I didn't have Sky, so didn't get to watch Fox Kids. So I've found myself blasting through the other four seasons this Christmas. Episodes are just about 20 mins so it's easy to watch another, and there are season-long story arcs, like Spider-Man going to Russia to find out about his parents' origins and ties to a Doomsday device. So yeah.....

• Paid Members

I've been watching Misfits on Netflix,. They have the first two series up, and I'm up to to the penultimate episode of series two. Series one through four are up at 4oD. So, it I want to watch series three and four I'm going to have to fire up 4oD and suffer the indignity of being forced to sit through adverts. I think I will end up doing that as I really like the show.

Without knowing much about the show, I had always dismissed it as a British Heroes rip-off and assumed that it would be shoddy. A bad copy done on the cheap. I was wrong. It's a really fun show. I watched, I think, the first two seasons of Heroes. I liked season one but thought that the show somewhat lost it's way after that.

My main criticism of Heroes though would be that, Jesus Christ, did that show take itself too seriously. Misfits on the other hand is done with a sense of humor - it seems to owe a lot to Heroes (the basic premise is essentially exactly the same - normal folks manifest superpowers after a a freak event) but I think the whole thing is done much better. The narrower scope works in Misfits favour - ain't no one trying to be leader of the Free World they are instead mainly just trying to get through the day. Plus, the idea of centering the show around a group of young offenders who get superpowers while doing community service is a very intriguing starting point, and I like the fact that some of the main characters aren't especially good people but at the same point aren't evil. They are just the kind of pricks you meet in everyday life.

Edited by nfc90210

The other two get a bit better as they go along and i quite like the new lass they bring in towards the end. Alex gets worse and worse as it goes on though. Episode 6 is a fun party episode as well but if Gilgun left they would be fucked, it's his show now.

• Paid Members

Heroes was the drizzling shits, everyone was telling me I'd love it because I like comics. I like comics because they can be well written and amazingly illustrated with great characters that stand the test of time. Superpowers do not make something good, heroes, misfits, chronicle unbreakable etc can all fuck off.

I tried Heroes recently on the request of my mate who swore the first season is the best thing on TV. Considering he wanks daily over Firefly I should have known better. Despite the hotness of two of the female characters, and the awesomeness of Hiro it is utterly wank. It's boring, I couldn't get into the majority of the characters and the score is laughable.

Shows I'm going to start watching soon are:-

American Horror Story

Sons of Anarchy

Game of Thrones

Just need to find the time really. I got the Lost Blu-Ray boxset for Xmas so I'm working my way through them again. I'm 6 episodes in on Season 2 (still as amazing as I remember, and looks sensational in Blu-Ray), so once I'm done with them I'll start one or two of the others.