What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
2) Stringing out the ridiculous Leonard & Penny relationship. It was just about possible to suspend disbelief to the point you could just about accept she might give him a sympathy shag, but the idea a lass who looks like that couldn't find a half decent bloke who didn't dress like a paedophile or speak in a whiny nasal drone anywhere in California is beyond silly, even for a sitcom.

I think that's the biggest problem really. Any show where the main storyline is "Will this Guy get this Girl" is going to have a limited shelf life because once you put them together, the story is over and everything you do after that is just treading water. Friends was the same in that respect: The main focal point was Ross and Rachel and once they were together the show just got louder and wackier in an attempt to hide the fact that they didn't really have anywhere else to go with it.

It's one positive about the British sitcom model of only doing a few, short, seasons so you don't burn through the story too quickly and overstay your welcome. Well GOOD British Sitcoms anyway, I am aware that Last of The Summer Wine was on for about a hundred years.

• Paid Members

Frasier

I have often watched episodes of Frasier, but back then I'd be damned if I had a clue where in the chronology it was from. My friend who's just gone off to travel the world has lent me the 11 season boxset. Currently up to Season 4 and it has been brilliant viewing. Almost every episode hits the high mark for laughs and as a Cheers fan it's nice to see Frasiers whole character fleshed out. The support chracters are brilliant. Roz and Martin Crane and brilliant roles to play under Frasier as his polar opposites and Niles Crane is, as most would say, the highlight of every season so far. The romance with Daphne is a great arc that I know goes on forever but it leads to some great episodes during the show I've watched so far (Moon Dance from Season 3 being a shining example). The second tier support characters are brilliant as well especially Gil Chesterton. The episode I finished this morning was 'Ham Radio' featuring the KACL stars performing an old radio detective play that goes to shit because of Frasiers manic directing. I haven't tired of it yet, though I hear the show starts to take itself seriously too much near the end. So far though, so good.

• Paid Members
Frasier

I have often watched episodes of Frasier, but back then I'd be damned if I had a clue where in the chronology it was from. My friend who's just gone off to travel the world has lent me the 11 season boxset. Currently up to Season 4 and it has been brilliant viewing. Almost every episode hits the high mark for laughs and as a Cheers fan it's nice to see Frasiers whole character fleshed out. The support chracters are brilliant. Roz and Martin Crane and brilliant roles to play under Frasier as his polar opposites and Niles Crane is, as most would say, the highlight of every season so far. The romance with Daphne is a great arc that I know goes on forever but it leads to some great episodes during the show I've watched so far (Moon Dance from Season 3 being a shining example). The second tier support characters are brilliant as well especially Gil Chesterton. The episode I finished this morning was 'Ham Radio' featuring the KACL stars performing an old radio detective play that goes to shit because of Frasiers manic directing. I haven't tired of it yet, though I hear the show starts to take itself seriously too much near the end. So far though, so good.

Frasier is by far my favourite TV show of all time, and I've watched the same 11 Season Boxset twice through so far. While the later seasons are less packed with jokes, they touch more upon winding the characters down and different dramas and relationships. They're still very very funny though and still full of memorable moments.

• Paid Members

Ah, that's good news. It's been brilliant so far, though for some reason I was really fond of the first two seasons, more than I enjoyed season 3 & 4. I also like all the nods to it's father show that they reference. The episodes where Sam and Diane returned neatly tied up Frasiers relationships with the characters. Lillith is also one of my favorite sitcom characters.

Edited by Chilli_Dog

• Paid Members
episode I finished this morning was 'Ham Radio' featuring the KACL stars performing an old radio detective play that goes to shit because of Frasiers manic directing. I haven't tired of it yet, though I hear the show starts to take itself seriously too much near the end. So far though, so good.

What a brilliant episode. Especially Bulldog's dsylexic girlfriend "Oh no! He's got a Nug!"

Personally I think the moment Niles and Daphne got together the show went pretty rapidly down the toilet. Especially with Daphne's mum and brother Simon in it all the time. The final episode is great fun though and a fitting end.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

It was on DVD but was probably on TV at some point but the latest series of Curb Your Enthusiasm has been prettay prettay good. The last episode Larry vs Michael J Fox is brilliant.

New Girl starts up again, on E4 this time (not C4) at 9pm tonight. From episode 12 from what I can tell.

I'm such a cunt now. Somebody on my Facebook got excited about "Series 2" starting tonight, and for no other reason that to be a prick, I corrected them. UK channels advertising things incorrectly really gets on my tits though. Comedy Central do it with The Office, just ending showing episodes when they like and calling it a "Season Finale". The US/UK gap is tiny compared to how it used to be, why lie about the way they're presenting it?

I watched the first episode of The Newsroom and thought it was quite good - Kind of reminded me of the West Wing - teensy bit preachy but very entertaining. Lots of good actors in it too - although the lady who plays Maggie looks kinda funny in a distracting way.