What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
People who are complaining about The Big Bang Theory being rubbish are way off the mark. It's an inoffensive, harmless mainstream sitcom that at least comes up with new scenarios for its non-stock set of characters.

You only like it because you work with nerds.

US sitcoms have never been as good as they are now. 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation, Modern Family, The Office, Community, It's Always Sunny and Eastbound & Down absolutely piss all over any TV comedy lineup there's ever been. Unless your criteria for good comedy consists purely of "was on telly when I was fifteen," which makes you nearly as bad as Dillnom's "I liked wrestling better when my mum was in her second trimester with me, it should go back to that" arsewank. Workaholics is alright as well.

• Paid Members
US sitcoms have never been as good as they are now. 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation, Modern Family, The Office, Community, It's Always Sunny and Eastbound & Down absolutely piss all over any TV comedy lineup there's ever been. Unless your criteria for good comedy consists purely of "was on telly when I was fifteen," which makes you nearly as bad as Dillnom's "I liked wrestling better when my mum was in her second trimester with me, it should go back to that" arsewank. Workaholics is alright as well.

Yeah good point and all, sitcoms have also evolved. I do love an old school sitcom with a live audience. Taxi just randomly popped into my head. Channel 4 (when I didn't have Sky) was wonderful for showing random american 80's sitcoms at dinnertime. Still though in the last few years the amount of good quality sitcoms has been high in the US, the evolution away from a studio based show has aided that. The Big Bang Theory is the only really successful studio based US import we have at the moment, and How I met Your Mother isn't too bad either.

Edited by Chilli_Dog

• Paid Members
People who are complaining about The Big Bang Theory being rubbish are way off the mark. It's an inoffensive, harmless mainstream sitcom that at least comes up with new scenarios for its non-stock set of characters.

It's also not funny in the slightest. It reminds me of when in South Park they got the new school chef, Mr. Derp. And after every "joke" he did he'd go "DEEEEERRRRRPPPPP".

• Moderators

If you compare it to other mainstream US comedies like Everybody Loves Raymond, or According To Jim, it looks like a Rembrandt.

Raymond pisses all over Big Bang Theory. Raymond is how you do a totally mainstream sitcom - bland as shite center, and some awesome character actors around them. Let's forget his terrible, terrible, nasty wife, though.

Or you do a King of Queens and hire Jerry Stiller and let him carry the show. Now that was some watchable shit sitcom! Raymond definitely got the inferior Costanza parent on his show.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Moderators

8 Simple Rules was pretty rubbish but I didn't mind it because I had a soft spot for John Ritter from watching Three's Company every day when I got home from school for a couple years as a kid. (and his turn in Stay Tuned, amongst other classics).

David Spade is such a turd. I can't believe I used to like him in Just Shoot Me.

What's that other sitcom with David Spade in it now where we're supposed to find it believable that he is some amazing ladies' man? Absurd.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

8 Simple Rules was pretty rubbish but I didn't mind it because I had a soft spot for John Ritter from watching Three's Company every day when I got home from school for a couple years as a kid. (and his turn in Stay Tuned, amongst other classics).

David Spade is such a turd. I can't believe I used to like him in Just Shoot Me.

What's that other sitcom with David Spade in it now where we're supposed to find it believable that he is some amazing ladies' man? Absurd.

Yeah I quite liked Just Shoot Me, although there is that fear if I rewatch it I'll find it shit. Rules of Engagement I think its called is the most recent one!

• Moderators

Yeah, Rules of Engagement.

I think I enjoyed 8 Simple Rules because I have a soft spot for Ritter, and a raging hard on for James Garner. Also see Hope and Faith for Ted McGinley (Fuck off, he's great).

ABC1 was great "Well, there's fuck all else on" fodder.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

anyone see the Sinking of the Concordia last night? absolute insanity. Basically a documentary pieced together from passengers camera phones, video camera etc. Fascinating and equally scary at the same time. The footage of the rescue guy telling the captain to get off his lifeboat and get back on board is wild.

In this day and age the fact that everything is documented by film means that we get to be inside of these crazy types of things, crazy.