What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Watched the first three episodes of New Girl on a plane, and then when I was away one of the channels in my hotel room there had the next two episodes on by chance. I know I shouldn't, but I totally love it. And not just because I ended up purging out a lonely one to Zooey Deschanel doing nothing in particular. She's hot, which carries it initially, but the dialogue really has its moments and I'm game enough to stick with it. And since getting home, I'm already up to the eleventh episode and I'll probably be up to speed by the end of tonight, especially if I can get Mrs NEWM on board with it. And it's shit enough that I probably will.

I'm still not sure if I'm selling myself out with it, because there's something so....wrong about it, but I can't put my finger on just what that is (Jess' glasses? The glorious appartment they have? How unmercifully twee the whole thing is? I dunno...), so I've just stopped looking for it, and I love it. There, I said it.

I'm with you pal, I'm really enjoying it. It's super-light and fluffy, but I think the thing that's carrying it is the same as carried Friends - that the characters are broad-strokes enough for everyone to find something to relate to, but individual enough to feel like real people.

How old are the characters meant to be though? How old is Jess? Mid 20s? 30? The scene where she tried to dress up sexy, in that weird spidery-lingerie thing, was lovely incidentally.

zooey-deschanel-bra.jpg

I know i'm proper fighting the tide of opinion, but the new Two and a Half Men is sort of hitting form. It's a decent sitcom now. Perhaps even more well-rounded than the Charlie incarnation.

Plummy British accents aside

Yep, I'm another loving New Girl, it's a mix of nice and fluffy and a great character in Jess and some really funny stuff from the chaps. It started off great and then I wasn't so sure but it's really hit it's stride now, the last 2 or 3 (Channel 4) have been great. It's apparently taking a mid-season break on Channel 4 because it's not performed that well, when you put it in an 8.30 slot and a slot opposite Corrie you're asking for trouble.

Oh and Coach was amazing in the first episode so it's a shame the actor had to suddenly go back to another show. Winston is more of a 'normal' character though so stops things getting too wacky for the sake of it.

Yep, I'm another loving New Girl, it's a mix of nice and fluffy and a great character in Jess and some really funny stuff from the chaps. It started off great and then I wasn't so sure but it's really hit it's stride now, the last 2 or 3 (Channel 4) have been great. It's apparently taking a mid-season break on Channel 4 because it's not performed that well, when you put it in an 8.30 slot and a slot opposite Corrie you're asking for trouble.

Oh and Coach was amazing in the first episode so it's a shame the actor had to suddenly go back to another show. Winston is more of a 'normal' character though so stops things getting too wacky for the sake of it.

i thought the reason it had gone off was because channel 4 had caught up but looking at wikipedia they are about 5 behind and its playing every week till the finale in the US. hope they give it a good time slot when it comes back.

lizzy caplan just came into it as well and long with cece youve got some hot women on that show. schmidt's great as well. a recent ep that ended with his various doucheness ws great

'Happy endings' (what coach is in) is great as well. really funny cast and its a very fun half hour

Edited by iamtheman

• Paid Members

Yep Coach went to back to Happy Endings which he thought wouldn't get renewed but did. It actually started finding itself in the middle of Season 1 and as carried on into season 2.

Well worth a watch.