UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

Why were WCW ppv's not shown in the UK? I know they were on DSF if you searched etc but it seems strange that TNT or any channel never showed them at all despite how huge wrestling was at the time, you'd think any channel would want a slice of it.

Its one of the reason I couldnt get into WCW as much as WWE cos I'd watch the build up on Nitro but miss the ppv and only get stills of what happened the next night.

It is amazing that with the WWEs global reach and appeal there are 8 US states they havent held a RAW in. Granted, Hawaii and Alaska arent really runners but id have thought there'd be interest and a suitable arena for the others?

I'm kind of surprised about Hawaii. Ok obviously flights for crew, workers etc. aren't a problem but logistics of equipment etc. may be - but I'm still surprised. Be awesome for a summer outdoor Raw.

I've been quite a few times and the big arena in downtown Honolulu is right in the centre and well placed for hotels, beaches etc. I would've thought it would be a great place especially if you stick someone like the Usos on as they'll be seen like hometown heroes plus it has a big US military presence still with lots of servicemen's families living out there.

Think you hit the nail on the head with the costs there. Would be really high for a single one off show and even more than ever WWE runs like a business and not a wrestling company doing certain things for the sake of it. Its not like the UK where they can tour several venues either it would be one shot only.

That said they did Puerto Rico for a PPV in 2005 didn't they which always seemed a bit odd and expensive for the sake of it

• Paid Members
That said they did Puerto Rico for a PPV in 2005 didn't they which always seemed a bit odd and expensive for the sake of it

That crowd was brilliant. Made Maven sound like an utterly despised superheel, and utterly erupted for a still-technically-heel Big Dave. The Chamber match might be my favourite. Shawn Michaels costing Undertaker in 2010 would have been my favourite for storytelling, but it's marred by the fact we all predicted that precise ending weeks in advance, since it was obvious both that Michaels and Undertaker would wrestle each other, and that Jericho needed to be the champion for Rumble winner Edge to challenge at Mania XXVI. So yeah, Dave's big night out is probably my favourite. He gave everyone a beasting.

Why were WCW ppv's not shown in the UK? I know they were on DSF if you searched etc but it seems strange that TNT or any channel never showed them at all despite how huge wrestling was at the time, you'd think any channel would want a slice of it.

I always figured it was because TNT had such limited hours. A quick look at Wiki shows that TNT ran from 9 til 5am. Say the peak prime time viewing window closes at 11, that gives them 14 hours a week of peak viewing time. 3 hour nitros aside, on a PPV week, you'd be looking at 7 hours of wrestling, half the prime time schedule on a channel that marketed itself as being a classic movie channel. Admiteldy, Thunder went outside of the "peak hours", but to get the ad revenues to justify the cost, they would have probably have to pick another night

• Awards Moderator

Did Batista and Brock Lesnar ever really had much in the way of meaningful interaction when they were both in WWE? I know they were both in the final four of the Rumble in 2003, but Lesnar was long gone when Batista rose up to the main event... I'd still want to see them have a match.

Did Batista and Brock Lesnar ever really had much in the way of meaningful interaction when they were both in WWE? I know they were both in the final four of the Rumble in 2003, but Lesnar was long gone when Batista rose up to the main event... I'd still want to see them have a match.

They had a match in OVW, but no, they never had any sort of meaningful interaction in WWE.

• Paid Members
Why were WCW ppv's not shown in the UK? I know they were on DSF if you searched etc but it seems strange that TNT or any channel never showed them at all despite how huge wrestling was at the time, you'd think any channel would want

Admiteldy, Thunder went outside of the "peak hours"

Was "Thunder" on TNT? I don't recall it. Was it shown from the beginning? Cheers!

From the summer of 1998 or so. I think it started at 9pm on Saturdays, then moved into the WCW HELL BLOCK to 11:30 after Nitro on a Friday.

Ive just consulted my big wrestling book of all the tapes I recorded at it seems the first show I recorded was 8th October 1998. Whether that date means US date or UK date ive no idea but the first match I have written down for that show is Kanyon vs Iaukea with a main event of Stevie Ray vs Lex Luger.

As for it being a Saturday im not so sure because the tape has Nitro first then Thunder and after that Raw and as I recorded the 2am airing weekly im guessing Nitro aired on a Thursday and Thunder aired on a friday unless these were both on a Friday evening.

Edited by iamthedoctor