UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members

That's 100% true. Savage did a similar thing with TNA. He tried holding them up, but they'd seen enough of him in his only 'match' for them to be happy to send him on his way. He's been glorified since his death, but Savage was a massive liar and con man for years. Probably down to his unhealthy paranoia. Savage showed his true colours when after years of using charity events to promote a fight with Hulk Hogan that was never going to happen, he sneaked out of the Impact Zone shitting himself when Hogan threatened to drop him.

It seemed like the last decade of Randy Savage's life was exploiting charities, using other peoples names to get publicity and conning money marks and walking out as the fans sit there expecting to see him. No wonder nobody wanted to do business with him. He burned every bridge.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

That's 100% true. Savage did a similar thing with TNA. He tried holding them up, but they'd seen enough of him in his only 'match' for them to be happy to send him on his way. He's been glorified since his death, but Savage was a massive liar and con man for years. Probably down to his unhealthy paranoia. Savage showed his true colours when after years of using charity events to promote a fight with Hulk Hogan that was never going to happen, he sneaked out of the Impact Zone shitting himself when Hogan threatened to drop him.

It seemed like the last decade of Randy Savage's life was exploiting charities, using other peoples names to get publicity and conning money marks and walking out as the fans sit there expecting to see him. No wonder nobody wanted to do business with him. He burned every bridge.

Thanks for clarifying. The second I read "charity" I remembered some PR Andrew McManus did with Savage where they presented a cheque to a hospital in Tampa (for talking sake), and perhaps asked Hogan to make some kind of contribution. I could be way off the mark on the Hogan point, but I definitely recall some kind of joint contribution to a charity or hospital. From what you're saying the extent of the joint contribution may have been Andrew McManus funds the donation, and Randy hands over the oversized cheque in front of the press pack a la Jimmy Savile.

EDIT: perhaps not the best source, but Google came up with this:

The Spirit of Giving, Oh Yeah!

For those of you that have been following the Savage/Hogan charity match saga, it has come to an apparent end. Since Hogan turned down Macho Man's challenge to a match, Savage did what he said he would and donated $10,000 in Hogan's name to All Children's Hospital Foundation Christmas Eve. "It would have been great if he had accepted," said Savage. "This is only a fraction of the money we could have raised with the event." Joining Savage for the presentation was Andrew McManus, representing World Wrestling All-Stars. In an unprecedented show of support, McManus and his partner Doc McGhee (legendary manager of Kiss) matched Savage's donation dollar-for-dollar, presenting All Children's Hospital with a second check for $10,000 (also donated in Hulk Hogan's name). I wonder if Hogan can write this off on his tax return?

http://fanboyplanet.com/chair/chair12-25-01.htm

Edited by Ant

• Paid Members
Power Slam said something about it being a possibility, IIRC. Randy himself was going around at the time saying the WWF was the place to be, the big time etc.

I have serious difficulties believing that the WWF had any interest in bringing Savage back in 1999, regardless of what scuttlebutt graced Findlay's desk/inbox.

He didn't have the same level of mobility when he came back from his knee injury and tried to cover that up by putting on unnecessary amounts of muscle mass leaving him slow and sluggish. He would not have been able to have satisfactory main events in the raucous arena-wide brawling style that Austin, Rock and Mankind had popularized at the time, and there would have been little point picking up a guy like Randy Savage if you weren't going to put him in big matches. Furthermore, given the transformation the WWF had undergone to get to what their TV was like at the time, it would have been completely anomalous to bring back a guy that Vince had thought semi-retired as an in-ring competitor five years earlier. Savage - synonymous with the Hulkamania days - was being shunted to one side during the New Generation campaign, they'd have made themselves look ridiculous bringing him back in the Attitude Era, given how much airtime they'd dedicated to slagging off WCW's policy of "past it" guys with artificial hips and bald spots contesting main events - Nacho Man, Jim Cornette's ranting and so on, and just how successful they'd been in moving on from his heyday.

In short, I can't imagine for a second that the WWF would have thought Savage would have had anything left to offer them at that time, especially in comparison to what he likely would have expected to be paid.

• Paid Members

Its like Wesley Sneijder's agent sending out messages Man City want him or something. I think Savage to WWF was put out to give him leverage he didn't have when his WCW contract was up. If WWF wanted him, he would have been there. Savage was out of contract from 99-2011. He never appeared once in WWF/WWE. That says it all really. They didnt want to do business with him.

Has it been explained/commented on as to where Vince is while HHH and Steph are firing people, punishing people and running Raw and Smackdown?

I am guessing that they are keeping him off TV until they are ready to build up to the proposed HHH/Vince feud leading into Mania 30, but has anything been said on TV about where he is?

Speaking of Savage, has anyone that some degree of faith can be placed upon ever commented on Savage's alleged relationship with Stephanie McMahon?

It was one of those wild net rumours and I've only heard blowhards like Honky discuss it.

• Paid Members

A lot of people reckon its true. The rumour came from someone inside the company. The rumour cropped up one day and there isn't a strong denial that its bullshit. Lanny Poffo has even been asked about it and says there's a strong chance that could be why he was never brought back. Savage spent a lot of time down in Memphis, so that would explain the attraction to 14 year olds. And the Randy One was always at Vince's house. That was back when you had to go to Vince's house and he had to get to know you before he gave you the belt. Hogan, Savage and Warrior were all tight with the McMahons. Probably why Vince took them leaving way more personally than he did Hall and Nash and even the likes of Foley and Rock. Its very conceivable that Savage sorted her out.

Here's Dave Meltzer's take on it:

Here's his ex Gorgeous George on the reason why they broke up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Paq3GcBztRg...player_embedded

Oliver Copp (German announcer) said this on it:

Again - people may not want to hear this but Stephanie during the mid 90s and in colllege was a really wild party girl. If this had been about Savage sleeping with her, it would have made no sense for Vince to blow his gasket over it since a LOT of the guys had a go at Steph back then and Vince had to know it. Everybody else did.

I love the above take on it. Its like "everyone had a go on her, can't see why Vince would mind".

How would Vince have not known Savage was shagging Stephanie in 1990 (when she was 14) but have somehow found out after he left? I can't imagine someone sitting on that for years and then thinking it's a good idea to go and tell Vince about it the day Randy rocks up on WCW.

I wish CM Punk would've made some reference to it in his terrible "this is Phil Brooks asking for ice cream" phase.

Edited by King Pitcos

Guessing Vince's reaction to finding out the Macho Man was beefing his princess reminded me of the out-take that leaked on-line a few years ago. Steph and Vince were filming a backstage vignette and I'm sure Vince started ogling then commenting on Steph's assets.

The first time I remember Vince noticably having a look at Stephanie's norks was at her third wedding in February 2002.

eDd0dzg4MTI=_o_stephanie-mcmahon.jpg

I'm sure there have been other occasions since.

Edited by dopper