UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members

Times were different in the early 90s. For all those complaining about the lines at Axxess this year or how shite the streams were for Dragon Gate, think on. Back in 93 all you'd get was a press conference, some egg sarnies and a plate of quiche during WrestleMania weekend. There's more entertainment on Pro Wrestling Syndicate fan fest than their was at those Mania's when the business wasn't hot.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Cheers, air_raid. Was that the last feud that was intended for house shows only? I can't think of anything since that never headed to a ppv/TV blow-off, but I'm probably forgetting loads. In theory, that practise would've still been in place until they started doing In Your House, wouldn't it?

• Paid Members
Cheers, air_raid. Was that the last feud that was intended for house shows only? I can't think of anything since that never headed to a ppv/TV blow-off, but I'm probably forgetting loads. In theory, that practise would've still been in place until they started doing In Your House, wouldn't it?

Off the top of my head from around that time, Perfect and Diesel had a house show run that emerged from SummerSlam '93, but we'll never know if there was meant to be a televised blow off due to Perfect leaving. Luger and Borga likewise never had a televised singles match before Borga sustained his injury, although they did collide in their team match at Survivors, as Perfect and Diesel had been scheduled to do. The closest I can think of is when Luger spent all summer wrestling Crush on house shows in 1994, but they still had the one televised match on Sunday Night Slam at the end of the run when the attention was just being shifted to Luger VS Tatanka.

Even as early as 1994 Raw started to feature more Superstar v Superstar matches and less jobber content, so even if a feud didn't get a PPV blow off chances are it still got onto TV. In late '94 and early '95 Diesel was having a run with Backlund but again there was still one televised match between the two, tucked away on Action Zone as it was. First the introduction of In Your House and then the advent of Nitro virtually guaranteed that no series between notable talent was kept for house show only consumption any more.

Tatanka/IRS between WMX and Summerslam 94 is another one I guess. I'd highly doubt that the original plan for any high profile feud in 1993/94 (or even earlier - like Taker/Warrior) wasn't to squeeze a PPV match out of it though as the practice of TV feuds for house shows only was more an 80s thing. Plans and circumstances just change I imagine. Occasionally there were some mini feuds that they advertised for MSG house shows and the like but they were never high profile rivalries with any significant coverage or angles on weekly programming.

• Paid Members
Tatanka/IRS between WMX and Summerslam 94 is another one I guess.

I should have remembered that really, being present for a match Tatanka lost (to Bam Bam) due to IRS' interference.

That's right, they had a finish on a house show that built heat for a seperate feud, also taking place on house shows.

Off the top of my head from around that time, Perfect and Diesel had a house show run that emerged from SummerSlam '93, but we'll never know if there was meant to be a televised blow off due to Perfect leaving. Luger and Borga likewise never had a televised singles match before Borga sustained his injury, although they did collide in their team match at Survivors, as Perfect and Diesel had been scheduled to do. The closest I can think of is when Luger spent all summer wrestling Crush on house shows in 1994, but they still had the one televised match on Sunday Night Slam at the end of the run when the attention was just being shifted to Luger VS Tatanka. Even as early as 1994 Raw started to feature more Superstar v Superstar matches and less jobber content, so even if a feud didn't get a PPV blow off chances are it still got onto TV. In late '94 and early '95 Diesel was having a run with Backlund but again there was still one televised match between the two, tucked away on Action Zone as it was. First the introduction of In Your House and then the advent of Nitro virtually guaranteed that no series between notable talent was kept for house show only consumption any more.
Speaking of Mr Perfect did any of his matches in 1992 - 1993 against Razor Ramon get televised? I know they faced in a tag match at Survivor Series and seemed to make a big deal of a feud between the two.On a old coliseum video release Hart faced Luger where Razor got involved and got knocked out by Luger, I think they had a scrap. I remember the odd match on a house show but guess nothing major happenned before Razor turned face.Who actually sang With my Baby Tonight? First it was Jarrett until WWE said Roadie but Powerslam said Brian never sang the song and Jumping Jim Brunzell actually sang it.Final question. Why does Kevin Nash get a bad rep for his year long WWF title run? Viewing the first half of 1995 he was booked against Hart, HBK and 2 encounters with Sid in a 2 giants match. Very entertaining, didnt seem to me on second viewing about his reign sucking. From this time period it seems odd as to why he was given a year run with the belt as no other person from WWE in the 1990s got a year run with the belt. Edited by iamthedoctor

• Paid Members

Speaking of Mr Perfect did any of his matches in 1992 - 1993 against Razor Ramon get televised? I know they faced in a tag match at Survivor Series and seemed to make a big deal of a feud between the two.

None of them were. Most of them went to non-finishes anyway.

On a old coliseum video release Hart faced Luger where Razor got involved and got knocked out by Luger, I think they had a scrap. I remember the odd match on a house show but guess nothing major happenned before Razor turned face.

They didn't wrestle on any house shows. Luger worked Bret right up until his face turn.