UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members
Yeah. Cornette said they did every trick in the carnie handbook to get people to the building on that night. His exact words were that it was a "stadium that needed a show, rather than a show that needed a stadium". It was a perception based tactic, to make it look like they were still capable of filling stadiums. They wanted to show that WWF could still draw a huge crowd like they did back in the late 80s/early 90s, but with cheap tickets and running the show in the champions home town.

It's a shame that posts from 2008 have been deleted because I gave quite a comprehensive answer to a question about the 97 Rumble and I can't quite recall all the details. On top of what you said, though, they also went on a publicity overdrive with Shawn skipping shows to go on local radio and had the stations giving away free tickets, as was a local restaurant chain (Taco Bell springing to mind).

Yeah. Cornette said they did every trick in the carnie handbook to get people to the building on that night. His exact words were that it was a "stadium that needed a show, rather than a show that needed a stadium". It was a perception based tactic, to make it look like they were still capable of filling stadiums. They wanted to show that WWF could still draw a huge crowd like they did back in the late 80s/early 90s, but with cheap tickets and running the show in the champions home town.

It's a shame that posts from 2008 have been deleted because I gave quite a comprehensive answer to a question about the 97 Rumble and I can't quite recall all the details. On top of what you said, though, they also went on a publicity overdrive with Shawn skipping shows to go on local radio and had the stations giving away free tickets, as was a local restaurant chain (Taco Bell springing to mind).

The also promoted the show heavily to the Mexican population in Texas (and Mexico I guess) and basically had a small Mexican show for them before the Rumble started.

Just listening to Johnny Saint on Colt Cabana's podcast - which UK show did they wrestle on, was it any good and can someone point me in the direction of where to get the match if it was filmed?

It as filmed at a premier promotions show in 2004- october november time in potters bar at the Wyllots centre. I was in attendance and funnily enough complimented John Freemantle again recently on that show.

The filming was done for UK round up on the wrestling channel.

The rest of the card was Robbie Brookside Vs Dave Taylor, Paul Birchall Vs Kendo Ka Shin and Andy Simmons Vs Phil Powers.

One of my favorite shows of all time. I would imagine if you had the time to track it down there is a DVD somewhere

It was a very good show, but you're misremembering an important part - Cabana wrestled Johnnt Kidd on that show, not Johnny Saint. The Saint/Cabana match happened on a 1PW show, but I'm not sure of which one.

Not misremembering, just getting names wrong. Thanks for pointing it out though and apologies if anoyone has been searching for that show wrongly because of me. still a great show worth mentioning

Does anyone think it is worth going to more than one of the Foley comedy shows? I've already got a ticket to the Newcastle one but I was thinking about the doing the Nottingham one as well. Obviously if its the same material on both it's probably not worth it...