UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

plus Giant Haystacks was taken from Haystacks Calhoun

I remember when I first saw a tape of Calhoun, and when I heard his name I thought "orr yeah, he's well ripped off Giant Haystacks with that name". I had no idea the opposite was true. Once again, I have learned something today.

Why did the Steiner Brothers leave the WWF at the time? I was reading on wiki they went to ECW and didn't go directly back to WCW...so was it for more money in WCW, if that was the case how come they went to ECW? Did they have a bad reputation in WWF?

Cheers>

I think they went to ECW as they had a no compete clause for 90 days but Vince allowed them to leave. They were promised by Vince that although he didnt give guaranteed contracts out, they would make more money in WWF than they had been in WCW. Obviously, that wasn't the case.

• Paid Members

Did WWF even have 90 day releases back then? I'm sure they only came into play in late 90s to stop talent switching over. Also, when a contract runs out, there is no none compete, because there is no contract. An old Power Slam I was reading has the answer to this, but I cant be arsed to find it.

Here's something I read just the other day from Meltzer in 1998 on the subject on none complete clauses.

"In most of the WCW contracts there is a 90-day non-compete clause which means after the contract ends if it isn't renewed, the talent can't work for WWF for three more months. Whether that is legal is speculative, and in the case of Steve Regal, it was taken to court and before a ruling was made, WCW simply dropped its claim of keeping Regal from appearing, which ended up being a moot point due to Regal's various injuries and illness this (98) year."
Edited by Ian_hitmanhart

• Paid Members

I've said this before but WWE doesn't actually have "no compete clauses" exactly. It's actually just a clause that gives them the right to terminate a contract at any time as long as they give ninety days notice. Paul Bearer posted the exact wording from his contract a couple of firings ago.

Ian's right though. It was something that was brought in during the Monday Night Wars so I doubt it had anything to do with the Steiners working for ECW. I DO have a dim memory of reading somewhere that they worked for ECW while they were waiting for their full, legal release from their WWF contracts but I'm not totally certain.

Yeah I knew it was something along those lines, I was certain that their contract hadn't actually expired as they left in like April 94 and came in December 92, and that they had asked for their release due to not making as much money as they'd hoped.

Edited by bumclasshero