UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members
You also had those Space Cadets/Vipers matches in 1997. All of them were masked and i'm sure there were a couple of atomicos/8 man tags.

You are correct, for some reason I remember them being amazing. Although that might have been because I was 15 and impressed by MOVEZ!1 at the time.

They filmed one eight man tag for a saturday show :

25/3/97 Raw taping

Luxor, Super Nova, Discovery, & Venum defeated Abismo Negro, El Mosco, Maniaco, & Histeria

• Paid Members
Jerry Lawler joined the WWF in 1992, was there any particular reason he was not featured on Wrestlemania 9 at all?

He was supposed to be there. Press Conference over in Japan said that Lawler would be facing Tenryu at Wrestlemania 9, which would have been great. It was announced on a Wrestlemania 9 preview show, then never mentioned again.

Like Bam Bam Bigelow vs Kamala, it didn't happen.

• Paid Members
Jerry Lawler joined the WWF in 1992, was there any particular reason he was not featured on Wrestlemania 9 at all?

He was supposed to be there. Press Conference over in Japan said that Lawler would be facing Tenryu at Wrestlemania 9, which would have been great. It was announced on a Wrestlemania 9 preview show, then never mentioned again.

That used to happen a lot in the mid 90's didn't it? Remember a lot of matches being dropped at the last minute with no explanation.

Remember the proposed 10 man tag at Wrestlemania 10?

Edited by garynysmon

That used to happen a lot in the mid 90's didn't it? Remember a lot of matches being dropped at the last minute with no explanation.

Remember the proposed 10 man tag at Wrestlemania 10?

The 10 Man was pushed off the show due to time constraints. The kayfabe reason given was that the heel team (Irwin R. Schyster, The Headshrinkers, Rick Martel and Jeff Jarrett) could not agree on who would be the team's captain for the match. The match was held the next night on RAW and was on the WWE 'Mania' VHS tape as well I think.

• Paid Members

You can probably understand why the Lawler vs Tenryu match didn't happen. Big Press Conference over in Japan. Big hype. You'd think Lawler would be winning it due to the push he'd get that Summer. Tenryu won't have came over to lose.

• Paid Members
Anybody remember the shows like "March to Wrestlemania"?

In the days of endless jobber matches they featured an all star card.

Various ones happened. "Summerslam Spectacular" in 1990. "Superstars and Stripes Forever", just before Wrestlemania 7, featured a belting Shawn Michaels vs Mr. Perfect match, IIRC. I believe they also had a few "Survivor Series Showdown"'s too.

I know for a fact that the Summerslam one from 1990 is on Youtube. I was watching Jake Roberts vs "Iron" Mike Sharpe (!) from it a few days ago. Jim Duggan vs Earthquake was also on that show.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

Anybody remember the shows like "March to Wrestlemania"?

In the days of endless jobber matches they featured an all star card.

Various ones happened. "Summerslam Spectacular" in 1990. "Superstars and Stripes Forever", just before Wrestlemania 7, featured a belting Shawn Michaels vs Mr. Perfect match, IIRC. I believe they also had a few "Survivor Series Showdown"'s too.

I know for a fact that the Summerslam one from 1990 is on Youtube. I was watching Jake Roberts vs "Iron" Mike Sharpe (!) from it a few days ago. Jim Duggan vs Earthquake was also on that show.

That Perfect/Bulldog match made it to a VHS release too, It was notable for Shawn losing the plot with an insane dive about 5 years ahead of it's time. I remember Hacksaw/Quake as being a great big steaming turd; the most phoned-in of phone-ins. Despite not liking Duggan I was expecting something decent as he seemed to be suited to matches v big men (Vader, Andre, even Yoko), but it wasn't to be.

These specials weren't actually full of star v star matches, they tended to be more like a combination of Prime Time, SNME, and a PPV pre-show, with 2 or 3 star matches, the same number of squashes, as well as recaps & repeats from Superstars/Challenge and PPV promotion. For one of the 'name' matches, you almost always had the obligatory singles match between members of two teams facing each other at the PPV.

I think they lasted from around 1989 up until Wrestlemania X, before they switched to 'Sunday Night Slam' for a year or so when they fizzled away, probably around when the Free-For-Alls were introduced.