UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

Hogan was AWA's top babyface. He was in the WWWF and he filmed Rocky III without Vince's permission so was fired. He ended up as a heel in the AWA but the fans turned him face through their reaction. Hogan became the top babyface but Verne didn't think him an "AWA wrestler". Hogan was the musclebound brawler and AWA the home of technical wrestling so he was booked in a number of false finishes and reversed finishes for the AWA title against Nick Bockwinkel. In April '83, his big showdown with Bockwinkel drew 20,000 to the Saint Paul Civic Center and when they pulled the reversed decision schtick again, the crowd rioted. Arguably, that was the point where a lot of fans lost faith with AWA and the beginning of their slide. If anything, it proved how stuck in the past Verne Gagne was. Hogan claims he was later offered the title but, by that point, he was bigger than the belt and Verne was playing silly buggers, trying to get a cut of Hogan's Japan money, not giving him enough of a cut on the merchandise and trying to get him married into the family.

How big of a draw was Hulk Hogan pre-WWF/1984 in the AWA and New Japan (post Rocky III). I'm just reading a old article in Power Slam from 2002 where it says "contrary to popular belief, Hulk Hogan was the biggest attraction in wrestling long before he hooked up with the World Wrestling Federation." Is this true? And where does Hulk Hogan come on a scale of popularity between him and other notable foreigners who compete in Japan (like The Steiner Brothers, The Road Warriors, Stan Hansen, Andre etc.)

I'm not sure about the AWA - though I know that losing Hogan was generally considered one of the major blows that helped put the company down for the count - but in New Japan, yes, he was right up there with the likes of Hansen and Brody. I'd think he's probably a bit ahead of the Steiners and the Road Warriors, if only because they're tag teams and so don't have the individual star power of a Hogan. Andre's a slightly harder one to judge, as Andre was never a guy who hung around very long, having competitive matches with everyone. He was a main event guy his whole time there though and faced Inoki in the finals of the first IWGP title tournament. Unless I'm very much mistaken, he won that (although he wasn't really meant to), so he was a major player.

Certainly, even in the States, he was marked out for stardom from very early on. He was pushed in Florida when he started, went straight into main events in Memphis (but then who didn't?) and was one of the first guys in New York to really get a lot of heat on Andre in the build-up to the Shea Stadium show. However, contrary to Hogan's book, he wasn't a main eventer at that point, being I think third or fourth from top underneath Bruno/Zybszko and Samoans/Backlund/Pedro.

An answer creates a question - what do you mean by 'wasn't really meant to'?

I always thought the finish of that match was that Inoki had apparently "swallowed his tongue" and thus couldnt continue, thus giving the win to Hogan, meaning that Hogan was actually the planned winner of the match.

• Paid Members

Dont know if this is Wrestling Q's only but i donated so money the other day and have not heard back tryed to PM MOO but his in box is full.

Any ideas what i need to do now?

• Paid Members
Dont know if this is Wrestling Q's only but i donated so money the other day and have not heard back tryed to PM MOO but his in box is full.

Any ideas what i need to do now?

Wait I think, Moo will get to you in the end. :)

• Paid Members
Does anyone have match listings for all the WWF Wrestlefest videos? I'm sure i used to have '93 or '94 but cant remember which one.

From Pro Wrestling History Tape Guide -> http://www.prowrestlinghistory.com/videos/wwf/wwfindex.html

Wrestlefest (WF058)

07/30/88 Jacques & Raymond Rougeau vs The Killer Bees

07/30/88 Bad News Brown vs. Bret Hart

07/30/88 Jim Duggan vs. Honkytonk Man

07/30/88 The Powers of Pain vs. Nikolai Volkoff & Boris Zhukov

07/30/88 Jim Neidhart vs. Lanny Poffo

07/30/88 Jake Roberts vs. Rick Rude

07/30/88 The Ultimate Warrior vs. Bobby Heenan (weasel suit match)

07/30/88 Demolition vs. The British Bulldogs

07/30/88 Dino Bravo vs. Ken Patera

07/30/88 Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant (steel cage match)

Wrestlefest 1990 (WF080)

01/22/90 Roddy Piper vs. Randy Savage

02/14/90 The Ultimate Warrior vs. Dino Bravo

12/28/89 Brutus Beefcake vs. Rick Martel

01/23/90 The Hart Foundation vs. The Powers of Pain

08/09/90 The Hart Foundation vs. The Honkytonk Man & Dino Bravo

08/29/89 The Hart Foundation vs. The Rockers

1990 Segment on WWF fleet of trucks

01/15/90 Hulk Hogan vs. Mr. Perfect

03/06/90 Jake Roberts & The Ultimate Warrior vs. Ted DiBiase & Akeem (referee Big Bossman)

Wrestlefest 1991 (WF093)

02/19/91 The Ultimate Warrior vs. Earthquake

1991 The Mountie vs. The Big Bossman

04/15/91 The Rockers vs. Hercules & Paul Roma

02/18/91 Ted DiBiase vs. Kerry Von Erich

1991 Davey Boy Smith vs. Haku

1991 Brutus Beefcake grooming tips

03/12/91 Greg Valentine vs. Rick Martel

1991 The Warlord vs. Koko B. Ware

03/12/91 The Legion of Doom vs. The Hart Foundation

03/15/91 Marty Jannetty vs. Pat Tanaka

Wrestlefest 1992 (WF105)

03/23/92 Shawn Michaels vs. Virgil

04/07/92 Ted DiBiase & Irwin R. Schyster vs. The Bushwhackers

03/10/92 Davey Boy Smith vs. Rick Martel

1990s Highlights of various Bret Hart matches

11/12/91 Bret Hart vs. The Barbarian

03/10/92 The Nasty Boys vs. Earthquake & Typhoon

04/08/92 Randy Savage vs. Irwin R. Schyster

04/08/92 Tito Santana vs. Repo Man

04/28/92 The Legion of Doom, Earthquake, & Typhoon vs. The Nasty Boys, Irwin R. Schyster, & Ted DiBiase

Wrestlefest 1993 (WS927)

07/21/92 Owen Hart, Koko B. Ware, & Tito Santana vs. Repo Man, & The Nasty Boys

10/12/92 Crush vs. Papa Shango

09/01/92 The Big Bossman vs. Rick Martel

11/24/92 Earthquake vs. Repo Man

10/28/92 Shawn Michaels vs. Virgil

12/15/92 Ted DiBiase & Irwin R. Schyster vs. The Nasty Boys

06/01/92 The Undertaker vs. The Berzerker

07/09/91 Jim Duggan vs. Irwin R. Schyster

11/23/92 Randy Savage vs. Terry Taylor

08/10/92 Bret Hart vs. Kamala

10/13/92 Razor Ramon vs. Tito Santana

01/18/93 Mr. Perfect vs. Ric Flair (loser leaves town match)

Wrestlefest 1994 (WF136)

01/12/94 Randy Savage vs. Rick Martel

01/11/94 1-2-3 Kid & Marty Jannetty vs. Headshrinkers Fatu & Samu

1994 Men on a Mission "Wrestlefest Rap"

09/28/93 The Undertaker vs. Adam Bomb

01/11/94 Rick & Scott Steiner vs. Bret & Owen Hart

10/19/93 Yokozuna vs. Mr. Perfect

09/01/93 Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon

1994 "The King's Court" with Bret Hart

02/22/94 Bret Hart vs. Diesel

There are 95, 96 & 97 tapes too but I think they were In Your House compilations.

• Paid Members

1988's was a full stadium show, all the rest were a bunch of random match compilations IIRC.

EDIT: No Randy Savage - DiBiase title match on the 1988 version. Rather strange. :(

Edited by bAzTNM

Does anyone have match listings for all the WWF Wrestlefest videos? I'm sure i used to have '93 or '94 but cant remember which one.

From Pro Wrestling History Tape Guide -> http://www.prowrestlinghistory.com/videos/wwf/wwfindex.html

01/11/94 Rick & Scott Steiner vs. Bret & Owen Hart

Had that match had larger exposure it probably would have been a MOTYC for 94. Utterly terrific. Come to think of it, that entire tape is pretty great, and much of the Wrestlefest tapes are largely great - maybe not as great as the Supertape series (of which I remember Supertape 2 being pretty darned great, while Supertape 92 - not the 92nd in the series, you understand - had Tuesday in Texas on that)...

• Paid Members

would any one recomened the G1 climax shows.

what are they like over all?

also what years would people generaly say are best, im not sure how many they did but im sure its a regular thing

Are there any rats in British wrestling, or are they only in America?

I have no evidence to prove it, but a lot of the female fans that spend entire 1PW Doncaster Dome shows in the corner where the wrestlers merchandise tables are appear to be rats.