The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

Just because i love it Transmetropolitan. It really is the greatest series i have ever read.

Others? You should probably get some Frank Miller. I suggest The Dark Knight Returns but you might want to get away from Batman and go for Sin City or Daredevil. V for Vendetta is also top notch.

Thanks. I wanna avoid franchises like Batman and Superman for the moment. I'll consider the other three though, cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

The Civil War collection is a bit hit and miss. I know people who love it and people who hate it. I'm not saying you shouldn't pick it up but just be aware it might come off as well as you think.

Just a personal note, i've dropped the name several times now but is there no one else on this thread who reads Sinister Dexter or Nikolai Dante? Both are 2000AD creations and i love them. Especially early Sinister Dexter. The artist is incredible. Simon Davies

Edited by spotlightmagnet1

The Civil War collection is a bit hit and miss. I know people who love it and people who hate it. I'm not saying you shouldn't pick it up but just be aware it might come off as well as you think.

Just a personal note, i've dropped the name several times now but is there no one else on this thread who reads Sinister Dexter or Nikolai Dante? Both are 2000AD creations and i love them. Especially early Sinister Dexter. The artist is incredible. Simon Davies

I'm a 200ad reader. Nikolai Dante has kept strong but I feel Sinister Dexter just lost some of it's momentum after the euro crash where Demi Octavo copped it

Yeah, i'll agree with that but i still enjoy Sinister Dexter especially during Christmas specials where they usually inject a load of humour. Nikolai i'm enjoying now more than i did say 10 years ago. Dante the rogue is alot better than Dante the unoffical prince.

I do this all the time :)

Green Arrow: Year One, something i think people might overlook but a good story and good origin of one of my favourite charcters. While you're at it try to pick up Moving Targets and Archers Quest. Two very important and well written pieces that make Green Arrow the greatest DC character in my opinion.

Other than that, if you don't want a series i recommend picking up a couple of one offs like The Pro, Pride and Joy and Paul Jenkins Sidekick. Sidekick in particular is hilarious.

I do want to start with a big name graphic novel first as I've never read anything like it before and have really always shied away from comics as a whole as I, like many ignorant fools have judged something before trying it.

Hell, if I enjoy Civil War, the likelihood is that the next one I get will be V for Vendetta

• Paid Members
Other than that, if you don't want a series i recommend picking up a couple of one offs like The Pro, Pride and Joy and Paul Jenkins Sidekick. Sidekick in particular is hilarious.

I thought Pride & Joy was a load of shite personally and I love Garth Ennis.

I thought Pride & Joy was a load of shite personally and I love Garth Ennis.

Pride and Joy is one of those comics i didn't like at first until i read it a couple times. It's not really funny or balck like most Ennis books but i feel he was working out some issues and it's an interesting story. Plus it's quite short, perfect for a trip.

Yeah, i'll agree with that but i still enjoy Sinister Dexter especially during Christmas specials where they usually inject a load of humour. Nikolai i'm enjoying now more than i did say 10 years ago. Dante the rogue is alot better than Dante the unoffical prince.

yeah, the sword of the stzar thing has really been excellent and struck the right ballance between gritty action and the devil may care attitude of Dante

I do want to start with a big name graphic novel first as I've never read anything like it before and have really always shied away from comics as a whole as I, like many ignorant fools have judged something before trying it.

Hell, if I enjoy Civil War, the likelihood is that the next one I get will be V for Vendetta

Get Watchmen, you should be able to get it pretty cheaply with the movie coming out. I made my girlfriend read it and its opened up the whole medium to her.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll see what I can find on saturday.

Edited by Andy Of Deth

• Paid Members
I used to love comics and graphic novels when I was younger. Was a massive X-Men fan, but lost interest after the Onslaught Saga. Wouldn't mind re-reading that, actually...

You're in luck - it was collected recently. It'll set you back a bit, but it's just about every related issue.

Also, Age of Apocalypse was collected in it's entirety, which is awesome.