Official Darts Thread

Dai

Even if Wade gets ahead, Taylor will do what he done to Newton and fucking obliterate him. Taylor seems to be back to his good form in this championship and on that form there's absolutely nobody that can beat him.

Well it didn't go according to plan for Wade. Shame really as for most part of the match he was averaging 100+. Phil was magnificent to watch. 12 time winner of the Matchplay now and thoroughly deserved the title. He was simply awesome to watch.

Loved the crowd chanting "Are you watching Nicholson" during the presentation.

• 4 weeks later...
So, ESPN and BBC to share Lakeside. Apparently BBC are only taking the Semis and the Final, While the money is good for the BDO, what does this mean to grassroots, and most importantly the county and superleague game?

I think that the deal is going to do some good to be honest. The BDO has always been seen as a sort of diddy league. If ESPN can give them some sort of professional presentation, it can go a long way to rectifying people's views of what the BDO is.

I'm not sure what difference things will have at grassroots level, unless the new guys in charge are going to consider a future deal made by the PDC. I can see Barry Hearn seeing Croft's departure as a step forward in any plans he might have had. Barry Hearn was willing to put a LOT of money into the counties with the last offer, was he not?

Read about this over on Digital Spy this morning and not sure what to make of it. It could either give the BDO the long needed injection that it has needed, or the whole event moving away from the Beeb could be the final nail in their coffin. I haven't been on the Dart's forums for a while, but last time I was, even BDO stalwarts like Ross Montgomery appeared to be getting very delusioned with them.

We're actually heading up to watch the Masters on the Friday, so it'll be interesting to see the presentation, what with this event now being shown on ESPN. It'll be the first BDO event I will have been to, and am looking forward to comparing it to the PDC events I've seen live in the past.

• 3 weeks later...

Was at the Ice Arena on Friday to watch some of the action. Very disappointed in the BDO and the organisation of the event. Will write a lengthier post tomorrow at some point, but we left after the Hyslop/Wagner qualifier and went to find a pub in the town centre to watch the England game. Highlight was probably heading back to our lodgings for a late meal and seeing an absolutely legless Trina Gulliver being held up by her partner and being carried back to her room.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
The former BBC darts commentator Sid Waddell has been diagnosed with bowel cancer.

The 71-year old, whose voice has become synonymous with the sport, left the BBC in 1994 to broadcast for Sky Sports.

Waddell thanked fans for their best wishes via Twitter, saying "Bowel cancer's not a barrel of laughs so I'll be switching off from Twitter until things get better."

The Cambridge graduate is also a published author and screenwriter.

He also noted, while watching Eric Bristow become world champion: "When Alexander of Macedonia was 33, he cried salt tears because there were no more worlds to conquer... Bristow's only 27."

A statement from his manager Dick Allix read: "Following recent tests, Sid has unfortunately been diagnosed with bowel cancer. He is now undergoing treatment and will, regretfully, be unable to undertake any professional engagements for the time being.

"As treatment progresses, I will issue further statements. I would ask that everyone respects his privacy at this time."

Professional Darts Corporation chairman Barry Hearn said: "Sid is a hugely popular character throughout the sport of darts and I'm sure I speak on behalf of the PDC, our players and fans in wishing him a speedy and successful recovery.

"Our thoughts will be with him and his family as he begins his treatment."

Waddell, who began commentating on darts in 1978, was inducted in to the PDC Hall of Fame in 2008.

Outside of his commentary work, he has had 11 books published and wrote the sport-based BBC children's programmes Jossy's Giants and Sloggers, receiving a Screenwriter's Guild nomination for best scriptwriter for the latter.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/darts/15012394.stm

• 3 weeks later...