Reply to this topicStart new topic
> DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2
Richie Freebird
post Mar 29 2012, 23:37
Post #5056

Inter-Continental Champion

Group: Sig/Avatar Abusers
Member No.: 13,829

Just watched 1950 sci-fi flick Destination Moon. I did enjoy it, and of all the moon landing sci-fi flicks of the pre actual moon landing era, this has been the most accurate and realistic portrayal of the story up to now. The acting wasnít always phenomenal, but there was enough well presented suspense in the film to evoke genuine feelings of terror and dread at times.

For anyone interested in sci-fi films of the era, here is Destination Moon, the full movie online. Did I mention Woody Woodpecker has a speaking role!?...

QUOTE (Rosegarden Funeral @ Mar 30 2012, 0:28) *
That list is wank - I've never seen Dead Snow, but Re-Animator is fantastic, Braindead is great fun, Return of the Living Dead is pretty good too, and Street Trash is a whole lot a enjoyable trash.

Pssst... Richie... watch Combat Shock.

I enjoy watching a lot of trash, as evident in my Toxic Avenger wankery the other night. Iíll probably enjoy most of the stuff on there. smile.gif

Combat Shock eh? Iíll take your word for it bro.

--------------------

Provided by the UKFF 'Ugly Sig' Police

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dearly Devoted D...
post Mar 30 2012, 1:17
Post #5057

I Mark for ButchReedMark, Kevin Nash and Vince McMahon. roh is p

Group: Paid Members
Member No.: 11,052

Watched the HBO film Game Change the other day, thought both Woody Harrelson and Julianne Moore were very good as Steve Schmidt and Sarah Palin respectively.

This post has been edited by Dearly Devoted Dexter: Mar 30 2012, 1:18

--------------------

+Quote Post
chokeout
post Mar 30 2012, 15:47
Post #5058

Card Filler

Member No.: 6,870

QUOTE (bAzTNM#1 Fan @ Mar 26 2012, 23:56) *
I was never a massive Toxic Avenger fan, but I did like Sgt Kabukiman NYPD and Surf Nazi's Must Die.

Whilst the film was disappointing, A Nymphoid Barbarian in Dinosaur Hell is a great name.

That was from when Troma used to buy up cheap movies that had already had a release and re-title them with names that would appeal to the video rental market. Back in about 2000 Troma had their own show on Channel 4 on Friday nights and I think they went through almost their entire back catalogue. Some proper shite in there

--------------------

+Quote Post
Halitosis Romant...
post Mar 30 2012, 15:57
Post #5059

European Champion

Member No.: 7,486

Yeah, stuff like Rabid Grannies.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Devon Malcolm
post Mar 30 2012, 23:12
Post #5060

Best In The Off-Topic World 2010 (with Frankie!) & 2011

Member No.: 10,962

Having watched Ghost In The Shell for the first time tonight, I can totally see how it was such a big inspiration for The Matrix.

--------------------

+Quote Post
patiirc
post Mar 31 2012, 0:12
Post #5061

Sad Sack

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,717

QUOTE (Gladstone Small @ Mar 31 2012, 0:12) *
Having watched Ghost In The Shell for the first time tonight, I can totally see how it was such a big inspiration for The Matrix.

The net is vast and inifinite. True Story thumbs-up.gif

--------------------
UKFF Championship Fantasy Football Winner 2010, 2011. 2nd 2012

+Quote Post
WWFChilli
post Mar 31 2012, 0:19
Post #5062

Mid Carder

Member No.: 15,033

I'm working my way through the Columbo Cigar Boxset. Every episode. Only up to season 3 at the moment. Anyone else own this?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Devon Malcolm
post Mar 31 2012, 0:19
Post #5063

I believe so, Pat. Maybe it's where the 80 minutes of my life I wasted on such a boring film disappeared in to.

--------------------

+Quote Post
gmoney
post Mar 31 2012, 1:15
Post #5064

Card Filler

Member No.: 8,958

QUOTE (Chilli_Dog @ Mar 31 2012, 1:19) *
I'm working my way through the Columbo Cigar Boxset. Every episode. Only up to season 3 at the moment. Anyone else own this?

I don't own it, but every episode before the revival I've ever seen is great. Especially rewarding is if you watch each show from the position of rooting for the villain, and then treat the show as an ever more claustrophobic horror, where the incompetent smelly investigator begins to stalk your man, leading to confession or humiliation.

This post has been edited by gmoney: Mar 31 2012, 1:16

--------------------

+Quote Post
WWFChilli
post Mar 31 2012, 1:20
Post #5065

Mid Carder

Member No.: 15,033

QUOTE (gmoney @ Mar 31 2012, 2:15) *
QUOTE (Chilli_Dog @ Mar 31 2012, 1:19) *

I don't own it, but every episode before the revival I've ever seen is great. Especially rewarding is if you watch each show from the position of rooting for the villain, and then treat the show as an ever more claustrophobic horror, where the incompetent smelly investigator begins to stalk your man, leading to confession or humiliation.

I'm nowhere near the revival yet (Season 8 onwards) but there are some good episodes in that section as well. Harder to come across them but there are some nuggets there. The last episode I finished was the Johnny Cash episode which is wonderful seeing Peter Falk and Johnny Cash acting together. To use wrestling terms, Falk does a wonderful job carrying Cash. Johnny himself is great in it too. The best villain so far is Jack Cassidy.

What's the preferred Columbo type killer then. The total bastard or the sympathetic 'I understand why you did it' killer?

--------------------

+Quote Post
gmoney
post Mar 31 2012, 1:21
Post #5066

Card Filler

Member No.: 8,958

Preferred villain:

This post has been edited by gmoney: Mar 31 2012, 1:25

--------------------

+Quote Post
Richie Freebird
post Mar 31 2012, 14:19
Post #5067

Inter-Continental Champion

Group: Sig/Avatar Abusers
Member No.: 13,829

Just had my first stab at a silent film with Le Voyage dans la lune (a trip to the moon) from 1902. I didnít know what to make of it at first, but once we got to the actual taking off of the ship and the scenes on the moon itself I kind of liked it. It had a pretty trippy vibe to it, and the setís were wonderfully creative and looked great. The use of stop motion effects when the humans are smashing the Lunar natives to smoke with thier umberellas is quite well presented too, for the time.

The version I watched had bits and peices of commentary added, describing parts of the scenes with a heavy French accent. I thought this would be a hindrance at first but it actually became quite poetic and charming, with phrases like ďThe astronomers arrive in the interior of a most curious craterĒ. At not much more than 10 minutes, it was an easy watch, and something I found interesting to say the least.

Hereís the version I watched, if anyone fancies a few minutes of intriguing, kitsch entertainment this afternoon.

--------------------

Provided by the UKFF 'Ugly Sig' Police

+Quote Post
Devon Malcolm
post Mar 31 2012, 14:29
Post #5068

It genuinely amazes me that it was made in 1902. I mean, you are talking a whole quarter of a century before technology advanced to a point where speech was a part of cinema, and yet despite that they were still able to come up with a film of this amazing level of sophistication. I don't think I could ever fail to be amazed by it. It has been beautifully preserved, too, a real credit to everyone involved down the years.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Halitosis Romant...
post Mar 31 2012, 14:45
Post #5069

European Champion

Member No.: 7,486

Richie, have you ever seen any Jose Mojica Marins? I think you'd enjoy his stuff; I'd say to start with At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Devon Malcolm
post Mar 31 2012, 14:51
Post #5070

I've heard a lot about those Coffin Joe films, RoFu. What would you compare them to, I've never actually seen one?

--------------------

+Quote Post

506 Pages V  « < 336 337 338 339 340 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 23:49