General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members
I would definitely like to watch Stay Tuned again as I watched it as a kid.

Bloody nora! That takes me back, i had completely forgotten about that little beauty. Absolutely cracking little family film, and one if i recall, that got away with a fair bit for a PG rating back in the day.

That, and i'm delighted to see someone give Problem Child a mention. That was on a couple of weeks ago, and again, watching it back, there is no way some of those themes and scenarios would play out in a modern day PG movie.

On the subject of the new Robocop trailer, i honestly dont know. It was like playing russian roulette watching that. I bum Robocop. Hard. But given i dont much care for Peter Weller, in principal, i dont mind the idea of a remake despite the fact that having watched the original very recently, it hasnt aged a bit....in fact, if you work for one of these giant companies that goes around snapping up government contracts these days, it's amazing just how accurate and ahead of the game it was! Anyway, watching it my heart sank a little. It has such a different feel to the original going by what i can see, the action looks more along the lines of the later Terminator movies, that being elaborate but family friendly, but i agree entirely with whoever it was earlier that said the whole thing just looks too clean and squeaky.

Torn down the middle really, i like the idea that they appear to explore what would happen if Murphy was reunited with his family, and so there's elements of the film i'd like to see but i cant help but feel i'm gonna leave the cinema crying into my hands.

• Paid Members

In total agreement on the Total Recall front. I will never watch that. I cant tell you how upsetting it is scrolling through the Sky guide and seeing it, getting excited, pressing "i" then shouting FUCK OFF is. I fall for it every time.

You must go back and watch Robocop again, i literally watched it maybe a fortnight ago. The special effects to date have aged better than even the sequel did and i'm sure i remember everyone wanking over how much was spent on SFX for Robocop 2. Clarence Boddiker is still by far one of the best movie villains of all time, or at least, the Kurtwood Smith version is and i'm a sucker for any movie where Ronny Cox plays a dick. (Ok, so Robocop and Total Recall)

You can get the directors cut with a shit load of extras for about

The director's cut of Robocop is one of my favourite films of all time. It's practically flawless as an action movie and as satire. The extras on that DVD are ace, as you say.

• Moderators
In total agreement on the Total Recall front. I will never watch that. I cant tell you how upsetting it is scrolling through the Sky guide and seeing it, getting excited, pressing "i" then shouting FUCK OFF is. I fall for it every time.

Did we have a conversation or a thread at some point about things on the EPG that fool you into thinking it might be something good and then isn't?

The biggest ones for me are -

The Cube. What they would be doing showing that film on TV in the early evening is beyond me, but it still gets me. I'd love to see the crossover (i.e. Schofield brutally murdered by a contraption).

Judge John Deed. Not Judge Dredd.

Teen Mom. I think it just combines Teen Wolf and Serial Mom in my head and I expect something entertaining and stupid. Instead it's just shit and stupid.

edit: is there a big difference between the normal and Director's Cut? Should I make a point of watching the latter when I get around to watching the film again?

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Wasnt me, but i've definately fallen for The Cube a couple of times.

About 11 minutes of extra violence from memory. I dont think there's much in the way of plot points, Verhoven's point was that the additional gore give it a more comic book feel, and that in editing it out, the censors only served to make the whole thing feel far nastier.

That said, i remember not even being able to watch Emil post toxic waste when i was a little'un. That was by far the scariest thing i'd ever seen for a long time.

• Moderators

That's one of those films I've got fond memories of seeing when I was a student, but haven't seen for a good old while... which is why I get momentarily excited when I see it on the guide :/ It's something I'll never purposely put on to rewatch, but I would totally get sucked in if it was on telly..

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

go.jpg

This is what Godzilla is going to look like in the new Godzilla film out next year, he looks adorable, much better than the Matthew Broderick film where he looked like a blue crocodile.

I have no idea why he appears to be holding a motorbike's wing mirror but he looks happy about it.

Hopefully Godzuki will make an appearance in this film.

(there was a great childhood cartoon that I don't think ever got brought up in any of the nostalgia threads we've had... "Up from the depths, 30 storeys high!")

Probably second only to Uni from the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon in the most annoying 80's cartoon sidekick category. (Snarf's the other one)

Hopefully Godzuki will make an appearance in this film.

(there was a great childhood cartoon that I don't think ever got brought up in any of the nostalgia threads we've had... "Up from the depths, 30 storeys high!")

Probably second only to Uni from the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon in the most annoying 80's cartoon sidekick category. (Snarf's the other one)

What about that awful cunt Scrappy Doo?