General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members

Jim Kelly of "Black Belt Jones" and "Enter the Dragon" has passed away. He was 67.

SAN DIEGO (AP) — Actor Jim Kelly, who played a glib American martial artist in "Enter the Dragon" with Bruce Lee, has died. He was 67.

Marilyn Dishman, Kelly's ex-wife, said he died Saturday of cancer at his home in San Diego.

Sporting an Afro hairstyle and sideburns, Kelly made a splash with his one-liners and fight scenes in the 1973 martial arts classic. His later films included "Three the Hard Way," "Black Belt Jones" and "Black Samurai."

During a 2010 interview with salon.com, Kelly said he started studying martial arts in 1964 in Kentucky and later moved to California where he earned a black belt in karate. He said he set his sights on becoming an actor after winning karate tournaments. He also played college football.

The role in the Bruce Lee film was his second. He had about a dozen film roles in the 1970s before his acting work tapered off. In recent years, he drew lines of autograph seekers at comic book conventions.

"It was one of the best experiences in my life," he told salon.com of working on "Enter the Dragon." "Bruce was just incredible, absolutely fantastic. I learned so much from working with him. I probably enjoyed working with Bruce more than anyone else I'd ever worked with in movies because we were both martial artists. And he was a great, great martial artist. It was very good."

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
I might join you Matrix. We can share a tent :love:

mqdefault.jpg

Can't think of any other way i'd rather spend the wait.

Shit news about Jim Kelly, he was my favourite jig with a passport. I hope John Saxon is still going, he presented that "The Best of Martial Arts" VHS compilation, one of the first videos i ever bought, and had me searching all over for the version of Wheels on Meals with the second Benny fight, that ended up being from Dragons Forever.

• Paid Members

I just heard this, I posted about it in another thread. Sad news. I watched Enter the Dragon relentlessly as a kid and i thought Williams was the coolest fucker going. I only posted about a year or so ago in one of the MMA threads about him looking good for his age and how sound he seemed in some interview. RIP.

• Paid Members

I too hated Quantum so much so I fell asleep in the cinema while watching it, Skyfall was very good though, strong story for a Bond film and some nice action sequences. I'm not sure that you'd love it as you seem a traditional Bond kinda guy but i'm confident you'd like it alot more than Quantum which really was utter dogshit.

Hollywood film studio 20th Century Fox has joined forces with a top Broadway producer to develop a raft of stage musicals based on Fox films.

"For years we have been eager to expand our entertainment expertise to the world of live stage," said Fox chairman Jim Gianopulos in a statement.

"But we wanted to do it right and, most importantly, with the right people."

Kevin McCollum, the producer behind Broadway hits Rent and Avenue Q, is among those co-financing the operation.

He has teamed up with film producer John Davis and entertainment mogul Tom McGrath to match Fox's 50% investment in the venture.

"Theatre is about surprises and things that you haven't seen before on stage," McCollum told the New York Times.

"There are amazing Fox Searchlight titles and great films from the '70s that nobody today has heard of."

Some nine to 12 films will be developed into musicals, bound either for Broadway or US and international tours.

McCollum declined to say what films he saw as potential candidates for a musical makeover. However, Fox's back catalogue includes such successes as Star Wars, Home Alone and Avatar.

"Most important is not forcing anything," said Davis, whose big-screen hits include Doctor Dolittle, Predator and I, Robot.

"A big, popular movie doesn't always lend itself to a live experience."

Potential profit

Co-financer McGrath previously worked for Viacom, where he was involved in the musical adaptations of Paramount titles White Christmas, Footloose and Saturday Night Fever.

McCollum, who brought a version of High Fidelity to Broadway in 2006, is currently enjoying success with Motown: The Musical, which opened on Broadway in April and was nominated for four Tony awards.

McCollum told the New York Times he hoped Fox would become a partner in reverse by bringing his original stage shows to the big screen.

Fox's only prior experience of stage musicals has been as a licensee for productions such as 9 to 5 and Big.

Warner Brothers, MGM, Sony and Universal all have Broadway operations of varying sizes, where the losses are relatively small compared to the film business.

The profits can also be impressive, with Disney recently claiming the US tour of The Lion King has taken more than $1 billion.

"A lot of different companies have wanted to get in," said Thomas Schumacher, head of Disney's theatrical group, when asked about the new Fox alliance

"But to do this with someone like Kevin, a smart producer who knows everybody, is a great decision."