General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

Me mate is a DJ for a radio station in Ireland and I'm going to a screening of Zero Dark Thirty next week.

Actually looking forward to this, coz I really dig on Kathryn Bigelow as a filmmaker and somebody who is 61 and can turn the ol' flopper into ripe Butternut Squash.

Just watched the trailer.

I'm made up that Jason Clarke is getting a lead role, as he's a superb actor. He's been rocking it in the sadly-cancelled Chicago Code, so good to see him getting improved recognition off the back of that.

Having said that... looks a bit hagiographic a bit too soon for my liking. Plus the moody song was annoying over the trailer. In Bigelow we trust though, Hurt Locker was ace.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Just seen that the BBC have posted the list of nominees for the 2013 Oscars. Its a biggish list so i'll put them in spoiler tags.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Best film

Amour

Argo

Beasts Of The Southern Wild

Django Unchained

Les Miserables

Lincoln

Life Of Pi

Silver Linings Playbook

Zero Dark Thirty

Best actress

Jessica Chastain - Zero Dark Thirty

Jennifer Lawrence - Silver Linings Playbook

Emmanuelle Riva - Amour

Quvenzhane Wallis - Beasts of the Southern Wild

Naomi Watts - The Impossible

Best actor

Daniel Day Lewis - Lincoln

Bradley Cooper - Silver Linings Playbook

Hugh Jackman - Les Miserables

Joaquin Phoenix - The Master

Denzel Washington - Flight

Best director

Michael Haneke - Amour

Ang Lee - Life of Pi

David O Russell - Silver Linings Playbook

Steven Spielberg - Lincoln

Benh Zeitlin - Beasts of the Southern Wild

Best supporting actor

Alan Arkin - Argo

Robert De Niro - Silver Linings Playbook

Tommy Lee Jones - Lincoln

Christoph Waltz - Django Unchained

Philip Seymour Hoffman - The Master

Best supporting actress

Amy Adams - The Master

Sally Field - Lincoln

Anne Hathaway - Les Miserables

Helen Hunt - The Sessions

Jacki Weaver - Silver Linings Playbook

Best foreign film

Amour

No

War witch

A Royal Affair

Kon-Tiki

Bond tribute

The Oscars ceremony will also be hosted by MacFarlane, who created the animated series Family Guy.

It has already been announced that the star-studded event will feature a tribute to 50 years of the James Bond movie franchise.

"We are very happy to include a special sequence on our show saluting the Bond films on their 50th birthday," said the producers of the Oscars show, Craig Zadan and Neil Meron.

The nominations are selected by a ballot of 6,000 members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

A total of 24 categories will be announced, including the best acting performances of the year and technical awards in areas such as editing, design and music.

Nominations for this year's awards are being announced two weeks earlier than usual.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences said the move would "provide members and the public a longer period of time to see the nominated films".

The Bafta nominations were announced on Wednesday with Lincoln leading the way in 10 categories.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by Nick James

• Awards Moderator

The Guardian's got a full list of nominations ongoing - looks like they're still in the middle of announcing the technical categories.

EDIT: Perhaps not - Empire looks to have a completed full list

Might do a UKFF Oscars sweepstake/pool thing for this year, if anyone would be interested in that. Basically you make your predictions and I'll keep track of them all, then come Oscar night I can produce a 'favourites' list, we'll also see who gets the most right and they win an Oscar. Or a picture of an Oscar in their sig or something. Might spark some discussion on the nominees, too!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
The Guardian's got a full list of nominations ongoing - looks like they're still in the middle of announcing the technical categories.

Might do a UKFF Oscars sweepstake/pool thing for this year, if anyone would be interested in that. Basically you make your predictions and I'll keep track of them all, then come Oscar night I can produce a 'favourites' list, we'll also see who gets the most right and they win an Oscar. Or a picture of an Oscar in their sig or something. Might spark some discussion on the nominees, too!

Depends on how many categories you were going to cover but yes Id be interested.

• Awards Moderator

Depends on how many categories you were going to cover but yes Id be interested.

I'm open to suggestions. I could just do the main ones - Picture, Director, the acting nominations, Screenplays and maybe Animated - or I could do all of them. I'm not sure I could do anything in between those options because I'd end up tailor-picking ones I'm interested in and leaving out ones I don't know much about (if it was my preference I'd include Costume, Visual Effects, Sound Editing and Hair/Make-Up, and leave out Foreign, Short and Documentary, but I'm sure there are people who'd do the opposite).

If it was up to me, I'd include them all and say that if you didn't know much about a category, just pick a nomination at random because where's the harm, it's just a bit of fun, etc. But if the majority only want the major categories, I'm fine to do that. Makes the admin a bit easier, at any rate!

So - I leave it up you to lot, I'll go with the majority. If nobody says anything, I'll do all-categories, maybe with a majors-sub-pool for those not as into their films, end up being the only participant, and run away red-faced.

Prize could also include a custom title of 'Best Supporting Forum Member'.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator