General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Moderators

Oh yeah, The Hills Have Eyes slipped my mind for some reason. That's the other pretty great remake to have come out of the post-TCM remake fad. Even the sequel's quite fun, although it goes the route of "This time let's do it with marines, like Aliens!"

It goes without saying that the Friday the 13th and Elm Street remakes were garbage. Friday the 13th is particularly dull, although the franchise it came from is shit to begin with. Jason's a horror icon, sure, but the films are shitty, shitty, shitty.

The remake of 2001 Maniacs is also pretty fun, in its b-grade way, and has Robert Englund and Lin Shaye hamming it up like fucking crazy, which is always great.

It goes without saying that the Friday the 13th and Elm Street remakes were garbage. Friday the 13th is particularly dull, although the franchise it came from is shit to begin with. Jason's a horror icon, sure, but the films are shitty, shitty, shitty.

That's the thing that always confused me about Friday the 13th. Everybody knows Jason, everybody knows the mask and the machete but he isn't even in the first fucking film. I quite enjoyed the remake, I just took it onface value, I did like the prologue scene wheren he slashes the kids achiles tendon, that was fun. Again though the best part about the original was the ending-she's drifting along on the boat, everybody takes their hands from over their eyes and relaxes and it's all peacful and serene and then BOOM a big suckerpunch ending. The imigary of her being dragged out of that boat is definately in the same league to me as the Texas Chainsaw ending, just not as celebrated.

Talking about remakes the Dawn of The Dead remake with Ving Rhames in it is cracking. I also really liked The Last House On The Left remake. Nothing comes close to The Thing though, that movie is incredible.

Edited by cobra_gordo

• Paid Members

What the fucking hell is going on here?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zpm8k9b10k

Woyzeck - agreed about Friday The 13th. They're all awful (aside from Part VIII, of course) and it is almost certainly one of the worst franchises of any kind of films of all time. In fact, the original is probably one of the worst of the series because it's so po-faced and played seriously. Might do a horror franchise thread soon.

Edited by Gladstone Small

• Paid Members

I have a soft spot for the Friday 13th films. The first one ripped so much off from Halloween but has some cracking steady cam stuff in it. Saying that they just ran out of ideas, jumped the shark more times than any other franchise (Copycat killer, Jason is a devil Parasite, having Mahatten in the title of a film and setting the majority of it on a boat in Canada, letting Crispin Glover dance)

Im pretty sure its common knowledge that the last shot from Friday 13th (Jason out the water) was actually filmed by Wes Craven (and the chase scene in Nightmare on Elm Street was filmed by Sean S Cunnigham) and stuck on the end of the film.

Good call on Dawn Of The Dead, massive fan of the original and the remake is a cracker

• Paid Members
That better not be slagging off of Jason Takes Manhattan I see in there, chokeout :angry:

I could never hate a film where someone gets their head punched clean off

When I first saw this, many years ago it was cut to buggery. Thankfully now we can see the effects as was originally intended.

My daughter and i have a movie night on a thursday where we sit and watch the films i used to watch when I was around her age (14)

I got around to telling her about freddie krueger and jason Voorhees and we watched a few of the deaths on youtube

funny thing is when you take these killings out of context they`re pretty shite.

So once I can be bothered we`ll watch the entire nightmare & friday series followed by the excellent freddie vs jason to finish.

I certainly dont mind currupting her fraggile mind with 80s and 90s crap (most have certainly dated and knowing the full extent of censorship back then compared to now i really wonder what all the fuss was about!) but i certainly wouldn`t allow her to watch some of the heavier stuff (saw, hostel or any other gore film) thats kicking around now.

love the friday the 13th films, spent last halloween weekend watching all 11 films back to back. didnt like the remake though, same with elm street's remake, had high hopes for that but it was god awful. tempted to do a freddy marathon this weekend, that or watch some of the horror films in my collection that i havent seen yet like the hills have eyes and halloween

• Paid Members
I have a soft spot for the Friday 13th films. The first one ripped so much off from Halloween but has some cracking steady cam stuff in it. Saying that they just ran out of ideas, jumped the shark more times than any other franchise (Copycat killer, Jason is a devil Parasite, having Mahatten in the title of a film and setting the majority of it on a boat in Canada, letting Crispin Glover dance)

How dare you. :angry:

• Paid Members

In 1991 thay had an all nighter in the cinema on Deansgate in Manchester (It's now a bar called moon over water)

Friday 13th parts 1 through 6. Fantatsic to see them all on the big screen for the first time.

Classic night.