Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Are Virgin Media worth a go over Sky Digital?

Just got a package in the post offering me a TiVo box, an extra V+ box, HD, BT & ESPN, Servicing, repairs and installation and half price six months.

I'm unsure as to whether this is junk mail to be honest. Are Virgin media worth any whack?

They are, but just hope it works fine for you. I've had Virgin in two separate student houses, the first time it worked wonderfully, but the second time the internet was absolutely appalling, even though we had the same package and only moved a few streets away. They told us on the phone that there was a fault in the area that would be fixed within the month, but then 5 months later it still wasn't sorted. The people on the phones are retards, too.

So yeah, when it's working fine it's brilliant, but they're a shoddy company when something goes wrong.

There seems to be something wrong with my Xbox connection to my TV. I've had the console plugged in to a different TV for a while without problem, but now I've put it onto this other TV and it shows up like this:

It's connected via HDMI, but I've tried 2 other HDMI cables and the same thing is happening. However, my Blu Ray player works fine on this TV connected via HDMI, and the Xbox works fine on two other TVs, leading me to the conclusion that my TV and Xbox just don't like each other. Does anybody have any idea what could be going on here?

Plug it back into the other TV that works, then change the resolution that it's outputting at to something else, like 1080i or 720p. Then plug it back into the LG and see if that works. Maybe it's at 1080p and the LG can't cope. Alternatively there might be some setting on the TV that you can change. On certain plasma TV's, not all the HDMI ports were capable of doing full HD - check it's not some bullshit like that. I would think that lowering the resolution of the Xbox output would be the way to go, though. If all else fails, you could do component video out of the Xbox if the TV has the connections for it - that'll get you baby HD at 720p. I have it on my 42" and it's pretty sharp.

Got 2 questions for some I.T. savvy people.

1) I've removed the HDD from a long dead laptop and wouldn't mind getting some data off of it, nothing really important just sentimental stuff. Is the best way to do this with an external HDD enclosure connected to my current laptop via USB? If so, how do I figure out which one to use for my particular HDD?

2) I've put together a Windows Movie Maker project with video from a recent family holiday. Cany anybody recommend a good(free if possible) program i can use to burn this on to a DVD?

Thanks guys

There seems to be something wrong with my Xbox connection to my TV. I've had the console plugged in to a different TV for a while without problem, but now I've put it onto this other TV and it shows up like this:

It's connected via HDMI, but I've tried 2 other HDMI cables and the same thing is happening. However, my Blu Ray player works fine on this TV connected via HDMI, and the Xbox works fine on two other TVs, leading me to the conclusion that my TV and Xbox just don't like each other. Does anybody have any idea what could be going on here?

Plug it back into the other TV that works, then change the resolution that it's outputting at to something else, like 1080i or 720p. Then plug it back into the LG and see if that works. Maybe it's at 1080p and the LG can't cope. Alternatively there might be some setting on the TV that you can change. On certain plasma TV's, not all the HDMI ports were capable of doing full HD - check it's not some bullshit like that. I would think that lowering the resolution of the Xbox output would be the way to go, though. If all else fails, you could do component video out of the Xbox if the TV has the connections for it - that'll get you baby HD at 720p. I have it on my 42" and it's pretty sharp.

Thanks for this, but I already tried that to no avail unfortunately. Not to worry though, the TV itself started playing up in other ways so I cut my losses and got a new one.

I have looked at this online but feel that I am missing something so hopefully someone could give me or show me an idiots guide for this:

My mate is a cop so has strict privacy settings for his Facebook. He has sent a friend request and I would like to accept but do so in a way that no one can ever trace him should they look at my page. What is the easiest way of doing this?

Thanks as always folks

The privacy settings required for this will be in your friend's settings rather than yours. There's an option somewhere so you don't appear in friends of a friends lists.

Magic Si. Thanks for that.

Sent a parcel about ten days ago, and the tracking on the Royal Mail website says "We have tried to deliver your item from our [redacted] Delivery Office before 12:34 on 05/09/13 and we have left a while you were out card.

There are instructions on the card on how to collect your item or arrange a Redelivery."

Do they actually update after that point when the recipient goes and picks it up, or will it just stay on that status forever even if the guy went and collected it on the 6th?

• Paid Members
Anyone on here a letting agent? I've heard of the 'Annual Salary to be 30x your monthly rent' rule but am looking for clarification, is this gross or net salary? And does it consider any other deductions? Cheers.

As far as I've experienced, it's gross salary, and it tends to be very, very flexible. It can go down exponentially if they just like your face.

A language question: chatting with my wife last night, for whatever reason the word "rhetoric" came into the conversation. I pronounced it as you would pronounce the first part of the word "rhetorical" rather rhan ret-o-rik. This led to a conversation about etymology and how a derivative of a word can come to be pronounced in a completely different way. (The beauty of English, I suppose). Then we got on to how a word spelt the same way, like wind as in the prevailing wind, and wind, as in, my brother winds me up, is actually two words. Is that to do with English assimilating lots of different languages over time, so it's a coincidence that you have a basic four letter word spelt the same in two different languages, and it has two different pronunciations?

Does anyone use eBay?

I've sold a bass guitar/amp combo on there for a little over 70 quid. The successful buyer messaged me after the listing closed with the question 'can you post to Glasgow?'. The listing clearly stated for collection from London.

I replied, and now he hasn't bothered to message back.

It's only been a couple of hours but if he doesn't message back, or doesn't want them, what do I do?

I'm new to this lark.

Archived