Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I went to bed during the 11th round, so little did I care about the result. B-Hop was rolling around every five minutes as he did in the Calzaghe fight (although to be fair he took a pretty nasty-looking rabbit punch in the 6th). Really not sure now why I was even remotely looking forward to it - it was always going to turn out exactly like it did.

• Paid Members
Haye looked great again, so exciting to watch...the guy has defensive problems, but that adds to the excitement. Ruiz landed some decent shots that may quiet a few questions about Haye's chin.

Ruiz took some ridiculous damage though, he's often critisized for his style, but i dont think anyone will ever question his toughness, i thought it was David Tua all over again in the first round, but he hung tough.

Did anyone else think that 2 of the knockdowns shouldn't have counted though? Haye clearly hit behind the head, strange decisions.

Haye proved once again why he is heavyweights (fuck it, perhaps boxings) saviour. The guy's the complete package from a marketing standpoint. I watched this in a packed pub and everyone was going nuts for it, British boxing was left with a gaping huge hole after Calzaghe/Hatton retired, Haye has filled that gap nicely.

In the main I agree with that statement but boxing in this country only gets 'fans' when people are succesful, and even then it depend on their media coverage (Froch, Munroe and to an extent Witter coming straight to mind for being overlooked). The british public barely gave a shit for Calazaghe first 40 fights and many Hatton 'fans' only jumped on the band waggon for the latter end of his career. British boxing didn't have a gaping hole in talent, it has been strong for a good few years, what you mean is british boxing now has a cash cow for Sky and for housewives to shout 'Come on David' in a Henman-esque manner.

A great result for Haye and long may it continue. I think a Klitschko fight is now pretty much a shoe in. How many fighters like Sosnowski must they fight before taking a risk?

i never meant a hole in talent, i just meant someone to catch the imagination really. Boxing is a strange sport in that hardly anyone watches it all year, but they become the biggest fans around when a big title fight comes around like on Saturday (solidifying your housewife/tennis fans, because everyone becomes massive tennis ones one time a year).

I just find it exciting that the people are behind David Haye now, i know it won't be long before the same people who love him now will start wishing him to lose, but at least people are giving a shit about a boxer.

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

anyone else gonna be watching Audley Harrison/Michael Sprott 2 on Friday night?

this is [/i]it[/i] for Harrison, if he loses this he might as well hang up the gloves, but coming off the Prizefighter win it actually restored a tincy wincy bit of faith back in me that Harrison still has something. It's mad that Sky have gotten back behind him, but they must know that Harrison has to impress Friday otherwise he is fucked.

Audrey will also be dealing with the mental aspect of knowing that the last time he fought Michael Sprott, this happened...

I long ago lost all faith in Fraudley. I remember sitting up and watching his first few fight on the BBC and it was embarrassing.

I long ago lost all faith in Fraudley. I remember sitting up and watching his first few fight on the BBC and it was embarrassing.

I bought in to his hype and watched all his BBC fights. I know I shouldn't but when he gets aggressive (once every 4 fights) he does look a potential force. If he can look convincing against Sprott I can see a Klitschko taking a Harrison fight, seeing it as another soft title defence. Looking forward to the Andre Berto fight on Sunday too. Really happy Sky picked that one up.

Looking ahead a further week Kelly Pavlik Vs Sergio Martinez. Pavlik everyone knows about but Martinez was in 2 crackers last year against Paul Williams & the ever awesome Kermit Cintron :love:

Crazy victory for Audley tonight, behind on all the scorecards and pulls of a cracking knockout in the last round. Not a particularly great fight, but a cracking ending.

I can't believe he would be considered for a world title shot though, the commentators mentioned a potential Haye fight. Can't see that happening, he'd get mauled.

• Paid Members

The best heavyweight in the ring was the referee! Credit to Fraudley though, as much as he is a giant pansy who runs away if you hit him, he showed some guts to win with one hand in the last minute. He'd looked like he couldn't break an egg for 11 and a bit rounds so where the hell that left came from, I have no idea.

Harrison's comments about David Haye on Friday were ace. He might just talk himself into that fight. Then Haye will kill him.

• Paid Members

Audley Harrison marches on!

haha, unbelievable...the man was 90 something seconds away from the end of his career and he pulled that out of the bag, fucking insane.

It was actually a decent fight at times, but it was clear Harrison was hurting pretty bad, he didn't throw his right for 11 rounds! to still win by KO is pretty impressive and if someone like David Haye had done that he'd probably be knighted, but Audley still gets the stick, he'll never get any credit.

what a crazy career.

• Paid Members

cracking little finish from Evander. Can't ignore the fact that he was behind on the cards though and Botha was pretty much a static target at that point...Evander will never quit :(

There's a pretty harsh critique of Harrison's performance in The Star today...no mention of the injury, just says he sucked pretty much, like i said, he'll never get any credit haha.

cracking little finish from Evander. Can't ignore the fact that he was behind on the cards though and Botha was pretty much a static target at that point...Evander will never quit :(

There's a pretty harsh critique of Harrison's performance in The Star today...no mention of the injury, just says he sucked pretty much, like i said, he'll never get any credit haha.

He shouldn't get it though, he got lucky with a wild swing just like Sprott did in the first fight. He's been on the scene what 9/10 years now and has done nothing for himself. I initially got caught on his bandwagon when he first appeared but since then it's just false promises and deflating performances, this guy could of been so much more with the talent he has, anyone else in his shoes would have done so much more, he deserves to be booed/discredited.

The only plaudit I can give him in his professional boxing career is that he has been a World champion once (WBF which Holyfield now holds.), albeit a less prestigious one in the usual alphabet messes that is boxing titles.