Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I have to admit, this is quite suspect to be honest.

Mayweather has been making noises about how Pacquiao has managed to climb through the weight divisions whilst not losing anything by way of performance.

In short, he's accused Manny of some illegal activities as far as performance enhancing drugs go, which is why he insisted on Olympic-style drug testing.

Why Pacquiao didn't agree to this, pass the test and say a big "fuck you" to Mayweather is beyond me.

He's even started legal proceedings against Floyd;

Boxer Manny Pacquiao made good on his threat and filed a defamation lawsuit against rival Floyd Mayweather Jr., as well as members of Mayweather

• Paid Members

In any sport whenever someone does what Pacquiao does there is always the question of performance enhancing drugs. If something looks to good to be true it usually is (Sean Sherk take a bow) so Mayweather has every right to be suspicios.

He could have gone about it more diplomatically though, but that is not Mayweather's style I guess.

He could have gone about it more diplomatically though, but that is not Mayweather's style I guess.

He may have had an inkling that Pacquiao wouldn't go for the testing, so it gives him ammunition to use in his claim to being the best "pound for pound" fighter on the planet, and an out for the fight not happening.

Worst case scenario, Pacquiao takes the fight, agrees to the testing, and it's another factor in selling the fight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I doubt Mayweather was ever talking about Anabolic steroids (Testosterone, Winstrol, Nandrolone Decanate etc), or even Human Growth Hormone. People seem to be under the impression that the suspicion is due to Pac-man's ability to go up in weight and maintain his power. That is not the case, as Pacquiao has more or less been fighting as a Junior Welterweight since as far back as 2007, weighing in on the Super-Feather limit, then going in the ring over 140lbs, sometimes 144-145 like he was in the second Marquez fight in 2008. I think that Floyd geniuneley does have concerns about Paquiao's super-human fitness as he goes up in weight, and believes he may be using the blood-doping drug EPO. This drug is responsible for the production of red-blood cells and thus would make a performer have a massive advantage in stamina. Personally, I think Pacquiao is clean, he just hasn't done himself any favours by offering up the excuses he has for not agreeing to or coming to a comprimise on Floyd's demands. I also refuse to believe that Mayweather is afraid of Pacquiao, I think he geniunley believes it is an easy fight for him. For all of Pac-man's immense talent, he makes far too many technical mistakes and Floyd would exploit these mistakes. More often that not, it is Pacquiao's overwhelming athletisism that wins fights for him, although on the whole, technically he is brilliant, he just makes one massive mistake by over-reaching with his left-cross and coming square-on with his feet immediatley after. Mayweather would time this so he would make Pac walk onto one of his brilliant lead right hands, and the problem would be compounded with the fact that a southpaw is a sucker for that punch anyway. However, looking at Floyd's past exploits with southpaws, Zab Judah, Demarcus Corley, Sharmba Mitchell etc. He generally does have trouble, especially so against Zab Judah who , while not on the same level as Pacquiao, was also a speed-demon, and buzzed Mayweather in the early rounds until Mayweather was able to adapt his shoulder-roll defense to the Left-handed stance. I feel Manny would have some sucess early on, but Floyd would of chased Pac's early lead and had Manny off his feet late on, en-route to a late stoppage.

I'm more a Paquiao fan than a Mayweather fan, yet I feel Floyd is the party who is 'more in the right'. Yes, he was probably using all this blood test controversy to unsettle Pac-man, but I also believe he really believes that Manny could possibly be hiding something, and as a potential opponent in a FIGHT, he has the right to protest that his opponent undergo any tests within reason. And I'm very sorry, but Manny has offered up some lame excuses on this one. He himself says his reputation is the most important thing to him, above any fight, any win, any title, any amount of money. And that some point you "Have to draw the line", one of his reasons for pulling the plug indefinatley on the fight. If that's true, then why not agree to Floyd's demands, take the tests, even if it means "Weakening" your body, and subsequently losing the fight, but your reputation would be intact because you would have tested clean. Pacquiao himself has stated he feels (and rightly so), that his boxing legacy is safe in history with or without Mayweather. So a loss to Floyd wouldnt be heartbreaking, but if he agreed to the tests, cleared his name, and in doing so beat Floyd, then that would be the icing on the cake as they say.

I don't think Manny is a drug user. I think he is an immense Athlete who through his impoverished background has an incredible hunger inside him which drives him to be the primed performer he has became. Couple that with his alliance with the great Freddie Roach taking him from a one-armed bandit to a complete fighter with Roach's great strategies at disposal, all that comes together to make a special fighter.

I just think that sometimes, he does not make the correct decisions, whether it be due to his (sometimes Archaic) beliefs, or his hangers-on ill-advising him. Also, Bob Arum was looking to pull the plug on this fight at the soonest oppurtunity. When Manny was going to pull the plug on a fight with Hatton, Arum flew to the Phillipines and talked him round. Not this time, Arum has went on holiday, he's made not much effort to save it as he could and should have, probably due to the fact he HATES Mayweather and never wanted to deal with him for at least 2 months.

Boxing fans lose in the end, again. As this fight may never happen if they cannot agree to blood tests. So while a Pacquiao fight with Joshua Clottey will be entertaining, and a Floyd fight with Shane mosley (should Shane defeat Andre Berto this month, which is no gimme) touted for May 1 being a long-awaited match-up, none of the fights on the horizon are anything like Pacquiao Vs Mayweather.

We also have to look forward to Hopkins Vs Jones II after all. I bet Dana White is shitting himself now.....

Worst case scenario has happened. Claim Pacquiao is a drug cheat, mega money super fight cancelled, get sued, have to fight Pauli Malinaggi

That simply means that Mayweather can run through Malinaggi, and still claim to be the number 1 fighter in the world.

Pacquiao won't get anywhere with his lawsuit. All he's managed to do is to plant a seed of doubt in a lot of peoples heads about his accomplishments.

• Paid Members
I've also heard that Pacquiao is fighting Josh Clottey next.

The Pacquiao V Clottey match has been set for March 13 at the Dallas Cowboys stadium. With Andre Berto pulling out of his fight with Shane Mosley which was scheduled for Saturday due to him losing family members in the Haiti disaster, Mosley now looks set to fight Mayweather on March 13 as Golden Boy promotions have had that date booked on HBO for a long time now and aren't giving it up, so a Mosley/Mayweather match up seems the most possible scenario now.

Two pay-per-views going head on the same night. Numbers will no doubt take a hit. HBO will probably show their loyalty to GBP which will leave Arum looking for another outlet to show Pacquiao V Clottey. A simulcast from the two sites would be a great thing on HBO, but it will not happen.

Even though it's not quite Pacquiao V Mayweather, a Mosley fight with Floyd is still a very welcomed consolation prize, and quite winnable for Mosley, although it will be interesting to see if Mayweather insists to the same blood testing demands as he has with Manny, seeings as Sugar Shane is a known drug user. If he does then Mosley will agree to anything as he has wanted this fight for a while since his career went on the decline. Yet a few years ago he was the one dodging Floyd. It should be very interesting whatever happens.

• Paid Members

Just heard that the proposed Mayweather/Mosley fight is in the works for May 1, and not March 13. Leaving HBO to breathe a big sigh of relief that they do not have to choose between Pacquiao and Mayweather. Given their ties with GBP, they would have reluctantly chosen Mayweather whoever he fought.