Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Great night of boxing.

Eddie has brough us some great fights and shows these last couple of years so why does he get booed?

Even though Parker has lost his last 2 fights i don't think he has lost any credibility.

Edited by W35ty

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, W35ty said:

Eddie has brough us some great fights and shows these last couple of years so why does he get booed?

Eddies just a pantomime villain at this point, theres no specific reason i think they just boo him for a laugh now

• Paid Members

That was the best night of Boxing I've seen in ages. Enjoyed absolutely everything on there. 

First of all, Chisora vs Takam...fuck me. If that's not the FOTY then I can't wait to see what is. Unbelievable. Just non stop from start to finish. Takam was a beast right from the off and I really thought Del was in deep shit as the first round ended. Takam just never let up. Chisora did well to weather the storm and got back in it but I thought the commentators were being a bit generous to Chisora at that point. After a few rounds they were talking like he was winning and having some masterful counterpunching performance. He was landing shots but he was still eating a shitload and after 5 or 6 rounds I think I only had him winning a couple at most. It was still edge of the seat stuff because they were both constantly connecting, I just thought Takam was up by a few rounds. Then just when you thought 'well Chisora's fought valiantly here, hopefully he sees the final bell', he goes and decks Takam twice and that's that. Amazing. There was no coming back from those shots. One thudding off the temple then the second flush on the jaw, knocking sweat, spit, snot, phlegm and whatever else flying. Surprised he got up from the temple shot, to be honest. Incredible fight. 

Chisora is a weird one. He's had genuinely some of the shittest plodding fights I've ever seen over the years. But every now and then he'll show up with a point to prove and we get a classic like this or the Whyte fight last year.

Don't really know where he goes next though. He's already 0-2 to Fury and Fury won't be fighting anyone good yet anyway. He's mates with Bellew. Haye's gone. If Parker won last night that would've made sense. But Whyte winning, as great as Whyte vs Chisora 1 was, it just feels a bit too soon for the rematch. And what does Whyte really gain from that? If Joshua comes through against Povetkin and we finally get that Wilder fight on, they might have to do Whyte vs Chisora again. But Whyte's not going to want to commit to that yet because if AJ-Wilder falls through again, Whyte is surely the frontrunner to jump in against AJ. Interesting times. 

Anyway, Whyte vs Parker had an almost impossible act to follow after Delboy vs Takam. It didn't come close to topping it but it was far from a letdown. Really good fight, solid performance from Whyte and that last round was dramatic as fuck. Parker had him in all kinds of bother in that last minute, and right down to the final 10 seconds I thought he was going to put Whyte away but Whyte hung on. Thought the commentaries were fucking shite most of the night, and this fight more than any other. I'll always be a huge fan of Carl Froch as a fighter but I think he's crap as a commentator. And Bellew is awful. He's alright when he's just breaking down a fight and stuff but once the bell rings he's ridiculously biased and often seems to only see it from the point of view of who he wants to win. I get that Parker didn't look too good most of the fight but Froch and Bellew were proper channeling Jim Watt here with how negative they were on Parker's performance. Constantly banging on about him 'feeling sorry for himself' and stuff. He was just losing. Whyte was simply outworking and outlanding him. In fact, being so negative about Parker actually does Whyte a disservice IMO. Whyte was clearly winning but every time Parker did land something they'd either ignore it or just go 'yeah, but Whyte took it well'. Even when Parker had a moment, they'd try to downplay it and spin it as a positive for Whyte. I'm happy Whyte won but I was glad Parker at least had that big 12th after the commentators shat on him all night. Anyway, fuck all that. It was a good one and Whyte winning opens up more possibilities for more fun fights so I'm happy with the result. 

Undercard was quality as well. Benn vs Peynaud 2 wasn't as good as their 6 round war in December but it was an exciting fight. Peynaud again looked a right handful the first few rounds but couldn't sustain that mad pace over 10 and seemed to fade a bit in the middle rounds. Positive stuff from Benn, few knockdowns, got the 10 rounds experience in etc. Still likes a slugfest a bit too much at times but it's in his genes, what are you going to do? Katie Taylor smashed her opponent up, the Buatsi KO was brutal and I was chuffed for Dave Allen. Not the best of boxers but such a likeable guy you can't help root for him. He was thrown on this card last minute when the Kell Brook fight fell off, stepped in, scores a huge KO over Webb and gets paid. Wasn't Hearn offering a big bonus for the winner on top of the purse for this fight because they stepped in on short notice? For a guy like Allen who isn't making big money from Boxing, this was a special night for him. 

Tremendous show. Not one bad thing on it, commentary aside. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Chisora/Miller is a good fight, Miller is already lined up for a fight on a Matchroom US card though. Im not against Chisora/Parker after last night either despite Parker losing 2 on the bounce.

Echo wand. on the commentary team. I like all involved but i think Sky need to stop using their ex-fighter panelists to commentate. Froch is so overly negative sometimes its tough to listen too and Bellew is biased. Then there's Haye who spent 90% of the Chisora/Takam classic talking about himself. Its a weird one. During Parker/Whyte i had to pull myself away from the commentary because it was starting to effect how i was seeing it at one point. 

I'm a casual boxing viewer, and to be honest, don't know too much about Whyte or Parker, but that ending was enthralling. I genuinely thought Parker was going to spark him in the last 15 seconds.

I watched on a Hungarian stream, so missed the biased commentary, but even to me, up until round 9 or 10, Parker looked absolutely uninterested in fighting at all. It was almost bizarre how nonchalant he was at one point, he was absolutely there for the taking.

That Chisora KO? OOOOF!!!