Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Unbelievable. What a spectacle.

I really thought that Bellew was playing with fire before the knockout. I was just waiting for him to get clipped again. It was a bit worrying when Makabu hit the canvas, Eddie Hearn looked petrified. Glad all was well. 

Chuffed for Bellew. He's always been a guilty pleasure of mine. 

Probably one of the biggest roars at Goodison this season when that KO happened, tremendous stuff from Bomber. Got a laugh reading the Twitter comments about his post fight interview, calling him a bell and claiming Haye would knock him clean out if he dropped back to Cruiser level, I honestly think Tony would cause Haye a lot of problems

• Paid Members

Was amused by the line from Jim Watt before the fight that Makabu isn't very good at Boxing. He's in the wrong sport then, surely!

I know what he means by it but if you're a new or casual viewer, it doesn't do much to build up the fight or Bellew.

• Paid Members

there's the KO for anyone who missed it, they don't come much sweeter than that.

I'm still buzzing from the victory. If i had to list my top 5 boxing moments it would probably end up on the list, felt like a real special moment. I've grown to love Bellew over the years. He's a very polarising figure and i can understand how some people hate him but following the UK boxing scene and seeing his appearences on IFL (which does wonders for UK boxing, i urge all fans to follow the channel) he just comes off as a real genuine down to earth good guy. He did an interview on a podcast with The Fight Disciples last week and it made me want him to win it so bad. Just seeing how much it clearly meant to him boxing at Goodison Park just made it all the more special too, it was goosebump central.

I think Bellew's biggest problem prior was he was a self great promoter (there are few better in the UK) but he failed to deliver in the ring several times, but up at Cruiserweight he's looked the part, now 7-0 with 5 stoppages and he's beaten one of the better World Champions. I love how he went straight back into promotional mode during his post fight interview too, Bellew gets it. What a guy.

What a fight last night between Francisco Vargas & Orlando Salido. Two Mexican warriors fighting in a phone-booth for 12 rounds. Billed as a potential fight of the year candidate, both fights threw bombs all night, neither stepping down and coming back for more. There's something about the StubHub Centre being a magnet for these brutal fights. They've also had Rios/Alvarado I & Bradley/Provodnikov.

God, those Warren cards are a slog to get through, aren't they. I'm glad I've never attended one.

Whilst its not Canelo vs GGG, I would be quite interested in seeing Liam Smith vs Canelo. Whilst I dont like Smiths chances and i'm not really buying the hype job Warren is putting on him it is a fight I wouldn't mind seeing

• Paid Members

fucking hell, my schedule's been tight this past weekend so i looked up the result of Vargas/Salido, fuck sake!

and yep, Warren's cards are generally tough to watch, they try to cram in as many meaningless fights as possible, and whilst some would accuse Matchroom of doing the same thing, the Boxnation cards lack that shine and big show feel of a Matchroom show.

• Paid Members

anyone see Enzo Maccarinelli's bid to become a 2 time European Champion last night?

He got ironed out in a round :( it has to be the end for Enzo, his unexpected resurgence against the odds the past couple of years has been great but that vunerability that has always plagued him came back to haunt him. Still, great career and never a dull moment from a fans perspective.

Only at a Frank Warren fight is there an announcement for a car to be moved because its blocking an ambulance, just as the fight is about to start. Enzo has said he's done now.

Ruslan Provodnikov vs. John Molina Jr. is on Sky Sports tonight. They will need a few ambulances for that one.

Vasyl Lomachenko vs. Roman Martinez on Boxnation as well tonight.