Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Eubank looked good, he throws far too many punches though and definitely lacks true power. Fury was boring but comprehensive. Really want to see him fight a guy with a good record and of a similar size before Wlad.

Im going to the Liverpool show this weekend... was mainly for Derry Matthews against Abril but thats cancelled now. It'll be gbood to see Jazza Dickens and Liam Smith but Butler - Tete is the only real worthwhile fight for me.

• Paid Members

yeh, i'll be checking that out on the TV friday night.

Fury at this point is starting to frustrate because although the casual's still love to say he 'sucks', he's so far ahead of many of the other top heavyweights. You can talk the overall quality all day, but Fury is clearly one of the best heavyweights in the world. He defeated the no.3 ranked WBC fighter without breaking a sweat, he toyed with Hammer. Tighten up his defence and getting better has led to his fights no being as exciting as they once were, but im expecting fireworks when he's actually in with an opponent who troubles him.

Quick note to anyone that has Boxnation, they've add this weekend's NBC fightcard to the schedule, Guerro/Thurman, Broner/Molina double header...get it on the planner.

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

well fucking hell, bit of a shocker over on Boxnation. Paul Butler just got schooled and KO'd by Zolani Tete. Butler was the betting favorite going in but he was under the cosh from the opening bell. Fantastic jab, sharp counter puncher, rangey and a dynamite left hand. Zolani Tete looks the real the deal, keep an eye out for him. The uppercut to end was as sweet a punch as you'll see all year.

I've always kind of thought Butler was a bit of a hype job (i dont mean that in a negative way), he was guided to his World Title via an easy route in something like his 14th fight, then vacated the belt before defending it and moved back down to his natural division. It always felt like Warren was guiding him to make history by picking up title's in different divisions (that was the main selling point going in) without actually having beaten any elite fighters or mixing in top company, well that plan came unstuck because he walked into a true world class fighter tonight and he got levelled.

I think it was bad matchmaking for Warren to stick Butler in there with Tete. He was too long and strong (he has the same height & reach as Canelo Alvarez) for Butler, 16KO's in 19 fights made him a dangerous proposition. Also the opposing stances made the distance even longer for Butler to get in close. Stick Butler in with Naoya Inoue and then we will see how good he is.

So the PBC boxing starts up tonight with Broner vs. Molina & Guerrero vs. Thurman. I'm thinking Thurman should easily dispatch Guerrero but Broner & Molina looks trickier to decide on because Molina has the same style as Maidana which Broner doesn't like. But Molina has lost to a lot of average fighters and is on a two fight losing streak. Al Haymon has thrown a lot of money around to get boxing back on free US TV. He's brought Marv Albert & Al Michaels in as commentator and play by play, (combined age of 143) Sugar Ray Leonard as an analyst & Laila Ali & BJ Flores as interviewers. Hans Zimmer is doing the theme tune and this is what the venue will look like.

nbb8PYa.jpg

• Paid Members

yeh, from what i've read the production on the show is going to be pretty spectacular. This NBC thing could end up being the best thing to happen in boxing for a long time.

• Paid Members

It's a shame Martin Gethin had to pull out of that fight with an ear problem. A far more cynical man than me might think his ear problem was Eddie Hearn whispering in it "You're ruining a massive payday for me in the summer, here's 10k to pull out injured"

He certainly didn't look upset he had to pull out of the fight.

A far more cynical man than me might think his ear problem was Eddie Hearn whispering in it "You're ruining a massive payday for me in the summer, here's 10k to pull out injured"

I would be lying if I said this did not cross my mind.

It is very unlikely to be in anyway a fixed stoppage, but the rationale was there. 

I can't go any other way then a Thurman and Broner double here. I think both will turn out to be good fights,  competitive for first few rounds, but after that both fighters taking control. Broner via stoppage between 7-9, Thurman via UD.

I must be completely missing something here, but how is Luke Campbell vs. Tommy Coyle a superfight? It's one of Eddie Hearns, if we keep repeating it they might start believing it, promoting tricks. Tommy Coyle isn't even top of the domestic level at lightweight, whereas Luke Campbell has the potential to go to world level. Coyle said "Campbell hasn't fought anyone as good as him before." Well the common factor is Daniel Brizuela. They both fought him in 2014. Coyle KO'ed him in the 12th round and got knocked down 4 times. Campbell finished him in 5 rounds. It's madness to think this will be a competitive fight.

John Molina had a dissapointing fight against Broner. I had him losing every round and did nothing to unsettle Broner. Broner did well to get himself over as the bad guy for the crowd & TV.

Guerrero vs. Thurman was much more competitive but Thurman was crisper and harder with his punches. Thurman started stronger and showed Guerrero how hard he punches which detered Guerrero from taking chances. Guerrero's best shot was a headbutt in one of the earlier rounds. Guerrero tasted the canvas for what I think was only the 2nd time in his career. But he came back stronger, although that still wasn't enough to stop Thurman winning the rounds. I had that one, 120-109

• Paid Members

It's a superfight in Hull, which has no history of producing any boxers of note. All they have to look forward to is Steve Bruce's shiny face, average rugby league, and the Deep. For Hull this is bigger than the time They gave £100 to every teenage mother in the city and racked up a debt equal to Greece.

It will draw 20k+ and will be over in about 5 rounds.

It's a superfight in Hull, which has no history of producing any boxers of note. All they have to look forward to is Steve Bruce's shiny face, average rugby league, and the Deep. For Hull this is bigger than the time They gave £100 to every teenage mother in the city and racked up a debt equal to Greece.

It will draw 20k+ and will be over in about 5 rounds.

Not forgetting the Humber Bridge and Hull can lay claim to one of the best Christmas episodes of Only Fools and Horses. Seriously though, rather harsh comments for my home city. Luke Campbell is a very promising British Fighter and they are trying to progress his career in the right way in a few years time could be very much be in the big time. Of course it is going to be considered locally as a super fight - it is between to Hull fighters, however to many people it will just be considered a normal fight. One question though, where it be held? KC Stadium generally seems off limits due to the piss poor way it is operated! It only really leaves The Lightstream Stadium (AKA Craven Park)

• Paid Members

yeh, i don't think anyone's claiming Coyle/Campbell is in anyway superfight for boxing, it's always mentioned as a big event for the city of Hull. I love the idea of the fight, if they can put 15-20,000 in a stadium for a fight between the two most popular fighters in the City why not do it? What's the problems at KC Stadium?

Tommy Coyle for all his faults is a bit of a must-see fighter, never a dull moment and it's guys like that i like to watch. He won me a few quid on Saturday Gethin knockdown had me shit me pants...the talk of a fix was all over twitter, but realistically how did they think that even came about? If Gethin had came in and not tried i'd have seen the argument but he nearly took Coyle's head-off in round 2. Do people realistically think Hearn negotiated Gethin pulling out between rounds? it's ridiculous and makes no sense.

NBC's debut was pretty good, i loved the set-up and production except for the entrances which all looked a little gameshow-esque, but that's nit-picking really, the show looked mint.

Broner/Molina was a stinker to kick it off though, it was always a bit of a mis-match but the thing they expected was Molina to come forward and go out on his shield, he didn't and barely threw a punch, NBC must have been a little annoyed.

Thurman/Guerrero was much better but was far from a FOTY candidate that they were trying to lay on thick. Thurman was too sharp, and his in and out movement didn't allow Guerrero to have much of a sniff at it. It really came alive after the knockdown though, and Guerrero showed his spirit but this was all Thurman, i gave him 10 rounds. If the lasting impression is dictated by how something ends NBC did alright.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2015/3/8/8171515/pbc-on-nbc-debut-review-

there's Bad Left Hook's review of the show, i pretty much agree with everything there.

Edited by Ebb

yeh, i don't think anyone's claiming Coyle/Campbell is in anyway superfight for boxing, it's always mentioned as a big event for the city of Hull. I love the idea of the fight, if they can put 15-20,000 in a stadium for a fight between the two most popular fighters in the City why not do it? What's the problems at KC Stadium?

Campbell's first pro fight was suppose to be at the KC Stadium, but in the end it was staged at Craven Park, due to it being unavailable. When there were rumblings of the fight between the two earlier this year, KC Stadium was mentioned but the weekend they wanted to stage the event, the stadium is not available. For some reason there always seems to be some issue with the KC stadium, such as being unavailable due to a squash tournament(!) possibly hidden agendas with the Council/Allam/SMC.

I think one issue with the KC stadium is that the Council want to sell it but not to Assem Allam, fhe way it is going I can see another Coventry/Rioch arena type situation.

• Paid Members

I think one issue with the KC stadium is that the Council want to sell it but not to Assem Allam, fhe way it is going I can see another Coventry/Rioch arena type situation.

Allam didn't want to pay for the Stadium. He thought that if he paid for the expansion and the surrounding "Sports village" it should be handed over to him. He never made any offer.

The Coyle/Campbell fight will be huge around here but for me, Campbell wins all day long. I was at the show on Saturday night and had the argument with some Coyle supporters near me. The argument is that Campbell hasn't fought anyone yet which is pretty much true but he's so much more intelligent and technically proficient than Coyle. Coyle is a good guy and a real warrior but he's not smart and he's at a disadvantage with his size. Gethin tagged him easily on Saturday because of his reach and his technique. Was shaping up to be a good fight too, was a shame it ended when it did. The card was pretty naff in truth. The best fight was the Tom Knight fight early on. Not sure if that was on the telly.

Edited by tiger_rick