Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

From last night's Heat vs Bucks basketball game, Too good to be true?

B8Zj3oFCQAAMp4y.jpg

B8ZsQkFIcAApdLA.jpg

B8ZsQoXIYAE5Lmj.jpg

Heads up for anybody interested or not aware, there is a Ringside special on Manny Pacquiao tonight on Sky Sports 1 from 22:15.

Edited by Gooner

• Paid Members

Bloody hell, I think Mayweather vs Pacquiao actually might happen this time. I guess they've both realised they're not going to be around too much longer in boxing, and the insane money on the table for this fight is more than either will get fighting anyone else. Even Bob Arum is saying the fight is "imminent" now according to ESPN.

Between this and all the big fights being lined up in the UFC, 2015 is shaping up to be one of the best years ever for combat sports.

Great news on the ITV and 5 fights as well. I don't have Sky Sports anymore so I'm chuffed we're getting Golovkin vs Murray on 5.

Bloody hell, I think Mayweather vs Pacquiao actually might happen this time. 

It was always going to happen now.

When Pacquiao dropped that fight against Bradley I thought we may have seem some rumblings from Floyd, and after he was stopped in devastating fashion by a 39 year old Marquez I was certain the fight would become a reality.

Floyd is the king of knowing when to fight people. It's no coincidence that the fight wasn't taking place when Pacquiao was on his fifteen or so fight winning streak, jumping up divisions and looking great.

I know he's won three on the bounce since he lost to Marquez, but Manny isn't the same fighter he was before that crushing KO. Being stopped like that changes a fighter, and Mayweather knows it.

• Paid Members

Yeah, there's definitely shades of Leonard waiting and waiting until he felt Hagler was more beatable. Floyd will certainly see Pacquiao as a less risky fight now than if it had happened in 2009. But I honestly think Floyd would've won comfortably whenever the fight happened.

I love Pacquiao and Mayweather's a woman beating scumbag. But that win steak and playing musical weight classes from Pacquiao had to be partly down to PEDs IMO. He was moving through the divisions and wrecking everyone in devastating fashion. All the while avoiding the drug tests to get the Mayweather fight booked because he was 'scared of needles' or something. Apparently that's not an issue now though as he's reportedly agreed to Floyd's demands of Olympic level drug testing.

I'm not saying that hot streak from 2008-2011 was all down to PEDs. Clearly he was in his prime as well. It was the perfect storm of a guy reaching his peak, having a great trainer and training environment in Freddie Roach and the Wildcard gym...and boosting all that even more with naughty drugs. In my opinion. And it's funny how now he's willing to do the testing, at a time where he's not looking as impressive (ie: probably off the juice).

That's what pissed me off with all the shit Marquez got in the build up, during and after his fourth fight with Pacquiao. With Larry Merchant in particular being a cunt about it with the "new muscles" comment. Meanwhile the boxing commentators, media and fans almost completely turned a blind eye to Pacquiao's mystical success in bouncing around the weight classes and decimating everyone. Marquez was being accused before the fight even started. Then when he knocked Pacquiao spark out, it became a convenient excuse for why Manny lost. I didn't hear people crying 'cheat' when Pacquiao went up in weight and destroyed the likes of Cotto and Hatton though. Then again, Marquez wasn't the golden boy.

Pacquiao's an awesome fighter. I've got a twenty something disc set of his career and there's barely a dud to be found. One of the most exciting fighters in boxing history hands down. And if Mayweather vs Pacquiao happens I'll be rooting hard for Manny. But that run of form he had was partly down to some chemical assistance, I reckon. If Pacquiao would've agreed to the drug testing and the money split back in 09/10, this fight likely would've happened then. So it's not all a case of Floyd picking the right time (although I do think that's part of it). Pacquiao could've got a bigger split of the money back then and still wouldn't agree to it. Now he's apparently agreeing to a smaller cut.

They both fucked about too long. I really think the blame should be shared amongst the lot of them - Mayweather and his team, Pacquiao and his team, Bob Arum, HBO - all of them probably could've handled the whole mess better and we'd have seen this fight back when it mattered most.

Oh well. Better late than never. Hoping for a Manny KO, fully expecting a Mayweather domination.

Its Kevin Mitchell vs. Daniel Estrada tonight on Sky Sports. I've only seen Estrada fight once against Omar Figueroa, he seemed tricky and durable until Figueroa KO'ed him in the 9th round. Looking over his past record there have been a few occasions of head clashes due to his style. He also has a 2" height & 3" reach advantage over Mitchell. Winner gets a shot at Jorge Linares lightweight world title. I think this was the card where Anthony Joshua was going to face Kevin Johnson but was pulled through injury. Without that fight, the rest of the card is really weak.

• Paid Members

Mitchell looked world class last night. I've never really been a big Mitchell fan, and i've always rooted against him for some reason but there's no denying he looked legit last night. I think Estrada was limited to the point where it made Mitchell look great, but that's a World Title shot earned right there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

reports are indicating that Mayweather/Pacquiao is closer than ever, some are saying it's a done deal.

...and anyone catch Prizefighter last night? I think the format was struggling for a while, but the last one and last nights have been excellent. It was a quality night of action, capped off with a dynamite finish in the final. Great stuff...and despite getting flattened in the final, you have to love Cello Renda, what a character, a proper cult hero of British boxing.

Then Brian Rose stepped in against Kell Brook's old foe Carson Jones and got stopped in a fucking round! I think it was one of the more shocking moments i can recall seeing live. The stoppage was a shocker really, Rose was staggered but Ian John Lewis was looking to stop the fight pretty much straight away. I know figher safety is paramount but it's fucking boxing not tiddlywinks, you have to let it go in such a high-profile fight. The drama that followed was gripping stuff, the camera's followed Rose back to the locker room smashing shit as he went....people complained it off it being too WWE on camera, but the emotions were real and it made for brilliant TV depsite the fight being ruined. I'm all for the rematch.

That finishing early allowed me to flick over to Boxnation to catch the Terry Flanagan/Stephen Ormond fight...more controversy! The fight itself was scrappy but very comptetive, super hostile crowd (why do Frank Warren's shows always feel like there's a riot about to kick off?) and really anyone's fight up until round 9 when Ormond decided to continually headbutt Flanagan in the clinch. 4 times he did it over the space of 2 rounds and he got thrown out. You'd think chaos would ensue, but Flanagan and Ormond acted like best mates, such a weird ending.

You have to love boxing.

I tuned in just to see Rose vs. Jones. Stupid referee stoppage, he did the same thing with Enzo Maccarinelli vs. Ovill McKenzie. You don't want to see anyone get seriously hurt but Rose didn't even go down & Jones wasn't really laying it on thick. I don't think it helps that they build Rose up like he's a world title contender. He was a punching bag for Demetrius Andrade who's an average, untested champion, imagine what would happen if he faced Canelo Alvarez.

Ormond looked like he was getting pissed off with Flanagan constantly holding his left arm. He was doing it all fight and the referee didn't seem to be interested in stopping it. Ormond should have told him instead of constantly chinning his opponent. It seems a bit ridiculous that either of these two would be world title contenders. But they can thank their lucky stars that Terence Crawford is vacating and moving up so they get either Takahiro Ao or Juan Diaz. As its a Frank Warren fighter, they have to follow the long running theme of fighting for a vacant belt instead of beating a champion. If Flanagan loses his 0, he will probably jump to Matchroom like Frankie Gavin did.