Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Awards Moderator

That was a fucking joke. It shouldn't surprise me any more but it still sticks in the throat when something like that happens. I had Smith at 116-114 but even if the judges had just edged it to Abraham you'd take it, all things considered. The one who scored it 119-109 needs a P45, but I'm sure they're financially sound after that anyway.

Smith fought that brilliantly; body, body, body all the way and each time Abraham went at him he soon switched it before he lost control. Fight of his career, that, which makes it all the more gutting that it ended the way it did. 

• Paid Members

its just heartbreak for Smith, he put up a hell of an effort and the scorecards just seem to strip all that from him because it had no reflection on what actually happened in the ring. Like everyone's saying, it could have gone either way but the actual scoring is just scandalous, there's not a fair person on earth who gives Abraham 11 rounds, it's impossible!

Joke.

There's a new Russian in the light heavyweight division making a name for himself. Artur Beterbiev has only had 6 fights but this weekend, he demolised former world champion Tavoris Cloud in 2 rounds. Cloud who is only 32 and last fought Adonis Stevenson was down 3 times in the first round and another time in the 2nd. He wisely didn't get up. That's now 6 wins & 6 KO's for Beterbiev. The full fight is in the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kySTo0FcUik

its just heartbreak for Smith, he put up a hell of an effort and the scorecards just seem to strip all that from him because it had no reflection on what actually happened in the ring. Like everyone's saying, it could have gone either way but the actual scoring is just scandalous, there's not a fair person on earth who gives Abraham 11 rounds, it's impossible!

He gave it a good crack but needed to do more to get a points win v Abraham in Germany.

Really didnt deserve a title shot in the 1st place.

Joke.

• Paid Members

So Saunders vs Eubank Jr is still on? I thought it was off but I've noticed Steve Bunce tweeting about it. I'm way behind on my boxing news lately. Glad it's going ahead though. Been way too much talk from both sides for it to fall through now.

I know people don't like him but I actually hope Eubank smashes him. I used to not mind Saunders and I know Eubank is a cocky sod. But I think Saunders has come off as a right dick in interviews about it. He's come off the worse of the two for me. And he's been acting like it's going to be piss easy so he's only adding pressure to himself.

It'll be interesting to see Eubank finally take that big step up as well. I've got a feeling it will bring out the best of him. Eubank Sr was the same. Fought like a lion against Benn and Watson, and even later against Collins and Thompson, yet just did enough not to lose against lower level guys.

I hope BoxNation do a Ringside ripoff with these two like the Froch-Groves ones. And do another one for Fury and Chisora.

...and some serious twitter heat being generated for a possible Audley Harrison/Kimbo Slice fight.

Hearn had previously tried to get Slice on Prizefighter, but Slice and Shaw asked for too much cash. Hearn has been in touch with Kimbo and Audley this week. I would not be shocked if both are on the next Prizefighter late this year.

Hearn also says that he still has 2 or 3 new fights to add to the Clev vs Bellew card. There was a rumour last week that Hearn is trying to get Haye to fight on the bill!. 

• Paid Members

anyone catch Josh Warrington's fight on Sky last Saturday? a bit slow catching up, but holy shit that might be the new Ricky Hatton right there. Not in terms of fight style but what an atmosphere in Leeds. Sky put it down to Leeds not being a big fight town and them getting excited to finally have a fighter for them to get behind. Incredible atmosphere, outside of Leeds not so much but in that city, unreal. There's gonna be some special nights in Leeds.

The knock on Warrington of course is his lack of KO's, now just 3 in 19 fights, but it looks like he's a young man who's developing power and he's getting older, he was packing some wallop on Saturday night, unbelievable workrate too.

On the flipside, Ricky Burns struggled throw his comeback, he looked a little soft and spoke afterwards about going back to Lightweight but i don't think anyone expects Burns to get anywhere near world level again...Hearn himself afterwards seemed to be interested in settling up some domestic battles, sounds the right way to go with me.

I mentioned about about British boxing being on a roll, it really is pretty amazing. Each area of the UK seems to have their own stars.

this Saturday, it rolls on...

MomentOfTruth_lg_950x440-1.jpg

• Paid Members

Apologies for going off topic by going on topic, but that poster style of "Hey, look, we've got two photos of the stars and their names in big writing next to each other, but actually when you look closely they are each fighting a different opponent" is exactly what Joint Promotions used to do with McManus and Pallo.