Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

That KO was pretty sweet. Groves had his leg all folded under him, like a less gruesome version of Gonzaga-Cro Cop. Hopefully that looked worse than it actually was.

Glad Froch won. I like Groves but there's still time for him to come back from this. A KO loss for Froch would've probably been the end for him. I guess Froch will fight in America next then. He's mentioned Vegas a few times now, like it's a bit of a bucket list thing before he hangs up the gloves. I could see him and Chavez Jr happening in the not too distant future. Groves probably goes into rebuilding mode now. There's always a second go-round with DeGale, then see where he goes from there.

Great atmosphere to the show. Must've been amazing being there.

• Paid Members

Found myself in a pub in Tottenham watching the fight.

Froch's knock-out was amazing, but was I wrong to think Groves looked liked he was on the verge of winning? He landed some beautiful, crisp shots right on the button. Just before he got smashed, I honestly thought he was about to move in and start the beginning of the end.

I had Froch ahead in points, but during that round it looked like Groves was moving into a higher gear. In fact though, it was a touch of desperation, and gave Froch the opportunity that he'd been looking for.

He'd been periodically trying to get Groves backed up to the ropes for that combo and I'm fairly sure it was the plan all along. A thoroughly professional performance.

I'd really like to see him fight Andre Ward one more time as I think Froch is on top of his game. I know he lost to him before, and so realistically there's not much incentive for that fight, but it'd be a massive fight if they could have it in the UK, especially if they could tie it in with Mayweather/Khan on the same bill.

More likely he'll fight DeGale and then retire I guess.

• Paid Members
I had Froch ahead in points, but during that round it looked like Groves was moving into a higher gear. In fact though, it was a touch of desperation, and gave Froch the opportunity that he'd been looking for.

He'd been periodically trying to get Groves backed up to the ropes for that combo and I'm fairly sure it was the plan all along. A thoroughly professional performance.

I'd really like to see him fight Andre Ward one more time as I think Froch is on top of his game. I know he lost to him before, and so realistically there's not much incentive for that fight, but it'd be a massive fight if they could have it in the UK, especially if they could tie it in with Mayweather/Khan on the same bill.

More likely he'll fight DeGale and then retire I guess.

Nah he wants a Vegas payday and he won't get it with DeGale. Reckon he'd like a farewell fight in Nottingham as well.

• Paid Members
I don't :( I've had a few drinks though.

It was this man's summary of the night

Gareth-A-Davies-Writer-Mug_20131028162154253_0_0.JPG

Haha, Jesus Christ, that bumbling lump really gets everywhere. I was spared. I didn't even see him thankfully because I was having a row on the miserable prick next door. Twat knocked during the DeGale fight to tell me to turn my telly down and to tell me to "shut everyone in my house up". Then he was banging the wall during the main event. I wouldn't be that arsed but this shithead has been either blasting music or having blazing rows/very loud sex with his junkie girlfriend most nights of the week, to no complaints from us up to now.

Anyway, yeah, was alright that fight wasn't it? I know it's still early days as well but I really like Anthony Joshua. Hope his career goes from strength to strength.

Haha, Jesus Christ, that bumbling lump really gets everywhere. I was spared. I didn't even see him thankfully because I was having a row on the miserable prick next door. Twat knocked during the DeGale fight to tell me to turn my telly down and to tell me to "shut everyone in my house up". Then he was banging the wall during the main event. I wouldn't be that arsed but this shithead has been either blasting music or having blazing rows/very loud sex with his junkie girlfriend most nights of the week, to no complaints from us up to now.

Anyway, yeah, was alright that fight wasn't it? I know it's still early days as well but I really like Anthony Joshua. Hope his career goes from strength to strength.

Sounds like a right knob

I like Joshua, seems to have a lot of upside. However, a few years back I felt David Price was going to really kick on become a serious threat at Heavyweight, then he got exposed when he stepped up. I would not like to estimate how far Joshua will go.

So far, so good though.

As I understand it, HBO had Groves winning the first four rounds.

The HBO gang don't like Froch & do whatever they can to undermine him, I think this is mainly due to Andre Ward being no.1 in that division and them trying to ram it down your throat all the time. Take the Kessler/Froch fight they were showing. Lampley told everyone in the broadcast this fight is between no.2 & no.3 in the division. No.1 in the division Andre Ward is the man standing to my right. And last night in their summary Max Kellerman said, "Froch has the characteristics like the last great British fighter, Joe Calzaghe to keep going up through the gears and giving more than their opponent. Unless that opponent is Andre Ward of course, who is the best fighter in the world." Floyd Mayweather doesn't exist in HBO land.

I personally wouldn't like to Froch/Ward 2. From a professional standpoint Froch is way too slow for Ward and Ward is a boring fighter. And from a financial standpoint, Andre Ward doesn't draw shit on PPV or on a live gate. Getting him to leave the country would be near impossible. In his last 10 fights, he has only fought once out of his home state of California and that was against Froch in Atlantic City, so he was still not at a disadvantage.

Did anyone see the farce in Macao that Boxnation aired yesterday afternoon?! It was Donaire vs. Vetyeka for the Featherweight belt. Donaire got a cut eyelid in the first round that was ruled from a headbutt, to me it looked like a punch from Vetyeka. In the 2nd round, Donaire kept stopping and walking away and the doctor kept examining the eye. In the 3rd round Donaire was setting down and throwing hard punches but Vetyeka was also giving Donaire some problems. Then in the 4th, Donaire knocked down Vetyeka with a powerful left hook. With Donaire now a lock to be ahead on the scorecards, the referee decided to stop the fight and go to the judges scores. Even though, the cut had stopped bleeding and seemed fine. When they read the scores out, Donaire won 49 to Vetyeka's 46. Which seems impossible in a 4 round fight.

The previous fight Vic Darchinyan vs. Nicholas Walters was much better. Walters was staying composed whilst Darchinyan kept taunting him trying to make Walters open up. This backfired on Darchinyan when he got caught with a big uppercut that put him on his backside. Rounds 3 & 4, Darchinyan was throwing a lot of nothing, not getting through with punches but kept trying. Then in round 5, on the spin, Darchinyan got caught with a short, sharp left hook that made him bounce around the ring, a couple of body shots and he had to go down for a count. Darchinyan never really recovered from this point & Walters was headhunting looking for the end. It came 30 seconds later with another vicious, short, sharp, left hook that sent Darchinyan to sleep.

3148dw4.gif

• Paid Members

well, being at the fight last night was pretty amazing, the atompshere and vibe in and around the ground all day was great, i thought the undercard delivered perfectly in what it was designed too do and that was put the British guys in winnable but meaningful fights in front of a massive audience.

Joshua needs to step up now, the guy's a rookie but he's so much better than the lower level heavyweights, McDonnell was made to work against that gutsy little Thai bloke and Britain again have another World Champ, i missed the first two rounds of the Kevin Mitchell fight but of the 8 i saw i only had him winning 1, thought it was an incredidble come from behind victory and Mitchell dodged a bullet because he was in with a guy that i think was better than anyone probably thought. DeGale needed to win impressively and did so, considering he was boxing in some middle of nowhere leisure center a few backs to now probably once again being the best prospect in British boxing, the knockdown was beautiful. The atmosphere and reaction was kind of muted throughout but you expect that at boxing shows, especially when the majority are in there for one fight...thoroughly enjoyed the undercard though.

7 fights in all, 7 finishes, how often does that happen at boxing shows?

As for the main event, Eddie Hearn couldn't have scripted it any better. The walk-ins and buzz beforehand was just spine tingling...the crowd was definitely split 50/50 everyone around me were on different sides but it was all friendly banter and chants, nothing hostile which was great to see. The actual fight didn't really deliver like a lot of people were probably expecting (including myself), Groves' prediction of a Hagler/Hearns affair was way off-base, it was a cautious, tactical affair that seems to have split everyone score-wise. I think i had it 4 rounds to 3 for Groves going into the 8th but it could have gone anyway. What made that KO so special and made the reaction so good was the fact that people were starting to get a little restless before it happened, a few boo's were starting to ring out and there was no hint that Froch was going to land that right hand, he barely threw it from the outside all night...when it happened though, fucking incredible, i'll probably never witness another reaction or myself react to anything like that again in my life, a truly special moment.

Well worth the trek and being a bit of a nerd about all this shit just being there and witnessing it all unfold was just amazing, loved it.

There was a great piece on some website today saying that when everything clicks in boxing and it delivers no other sport can touch it and i fully agree, i felt privileged to be a fan last night.

oh, and my acca came in :D