Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

i agree with David in that the division will likely be more exciting when the Klitchsko's hang em up. The Klitchsko's are weird in that, it aint just that their far more advanced than anyone else, it's just they don't have the style to excite people. Mike Tyson sold out arena's based and did ridiculous PPV because people knew he was going to destroy someone, the Klitchsko's do the same thing but people aint excited to see it (except Germans).

I think the division will come around again, Deontay Wilder is a step in the right direction, and of course David Haye is gonna hang around for a few years. It's just one of them transitional periods, and whilst i'd love to see the heavyweights shine again, boxing's been so good recently (and looks like it will continue to be) that it doesn't harm my enjoyment of the sport.

...and i have to add, i'm one of the few (especially on here), that actually enjoys the domestic heavyweight scene :laugh:

• Paid Members
...and i have to add, i'm one of the few (especially on here), that actually enjoys the domestic heavyweight scene :laugh:

Ha, Butch loves him some British heavyweights as well, you must've noticed.

To be fair I've enjoyed more of the UK domestic heavyweight fights than I have anything from the States in years. Just remembered I loved Martin Rogan vs Matt Skelton from (I think) 2009. And as much as I can't stand the prick, Tyson Fury's had some fun fights. It's not all bad but compared to the glory years of the 70s, and even the 80s and 90s where you had Tyson, Lewis, Holyfield, Bowe etc, heavyweight now is arse compared to those decades. It's undeniabe that it's the shallowest the division has been in decades and decades.

There's been suggestion that the rise of basketball in America has robbed the heavyweight division of large, athletic African-Americans. Where in the 70s and 80s, young disinfranchised black kids would look to boxing as a way out of poverty, now it's basketball.

I don't know enough about US sociology to know if that's true, but it kinda makes sense.

Glad to see Money/Canelo is confirmed. I give both guys credit for taking the fight. Canelo was saying only a few days ago he wouldnt drop a single pound to make the fight happen, good he changed his stance to get the fight he has been calling for. Just like Guerrero, be careful what you wish for, cause you may just get it. It should be a good one but can't see anything besides May schooling him and taking a UD.

• Paid Members
I'm struggling to even think when the last really great heavyweight fight was.

I got Wlad vs Sam Peter from 2005

Huck/Povetkin last year was a fight for the ages. Seriously, it was tremendous.

• Paid Members
There's been suggestion that the rise of basketball in America has robbed the heavyweight division of large, athletic African-Americans. Where in the 70s and 80s, young disinfranchised black kids would look to boxing as a way out of poverty, now it's basketball.

I don't know enough about US sociology to know if that's true, but it kinda makes sense.

I think it's the NFL and not the NBA they always cite. I'm not sure if I buy that though. I would suggest that it's the fact that boxing has fallen in prominence in US culture. I'm sure if you dug up some stats regarding active amateur boxing gyms in the US now versus active boxing gyms in 1950 there'd be a lot less now.

Plus, my understanding (and, yeah, there will be exceptions to this rule) is that to play any of the main US sports at a professional level you need to be big. God bless Floyd Mayweather but he's five-seven and it's not like he missed his calling as an NFL linebacker. When people cite the NFL I always find myself wondering where all the star American (or non-Hispanic American) fighters in the lower weight divisions are. Sure, there are some but it did seem that in earlier decades there were a lot more.

Also, why are there no elite level white America fighters? You ask some Americans that and they will start constructing a narrative based on African-Americans having advantages due to selective breeding practices during slavery. That's all well and good, but there are a lot of white Europeans who compete and succeed at the elite levels. So, I don't buy the slavery argument. Who's the best (or most successful) active white American fighter? Pavlik retired. Who does that leave you with? Paulie Malignaggi? I can't think of anyone else.

Edited by nfc90210

Glad to see Money/Canelo is confirmed. I give both guys credit for taking the fight. Canelo was saying only a few days ago he wouldnt drop a single pound to make the fight happen, good he changed his stance to get the fight he has been calling for.

There's no re-hydration limit though. So once Alvarez hits the weight limit, he can spend the next 36 hours bulking back up to 170lbs or such. Floyd won't be able to do that and will have to give up his size to Canelo. Its a dangerous fight to take and maybe one of his biggest tests since the De La Hoya & Castillo fights.

Glad to see Money/Canelo is confirmed. I give both guys credit for taking the fight. Canelo was saying only a few days ago he wouldnt drop a single pound to make the fight happen, good he changed his stance to get the fight he has been calling for.

There's no re-hydration limit though. So once Alvarez hits the weight limit, he can spend the next 36 hours bulking back up to 170lbs or such. Floyd won't be able to do that and will have to give up his size to Canelo. Its a dangerous fight to take and maybe one of his biggest tests since the De La Hoya & Castillo fights.

He will be giving up size but there is a reason why May made sure that was apart of the deal. It doesn't seem much, but for a young guy who has always fought at 154lbs, who is growing as times goes by it will be an effort. It shouldn't affect him too much and it's only right he sacrifices something to make the fight happen. It's a dangerous fight for May to take, but I can't see him not winning this. I don't think Canelo poses enough speed.

I'm struggling to even think when the last really great heavyweight fight was.

I got Wlad vs Sam Peter from 2005

Huck/Povetkin last year was a fight for the ages. Seriously, it was tremendous.

I forgot about that, it was good.

I thought Huck should have got the nod, one more round and he would have won by knockout

I agree Povetkin-Huck was great. I think I had Huck winning it, would need to watch again though.

Ruiz - Haye was good fun but not a great fight. Have enjoyed plenty other HW fights below title level, Dimitrenko - Pulev was a decent one.

Edited by HeavyT

I think the Klitschko's, a bit like Lewis, will be remembered and recognised more maybe ten or fifteen years from now. Their skill level and knock out ratio is really something else, especially when you consider how long they've been on top.

There aren't many fighters who can stay on top as long as they have, especially considering it's a division where one big punch can really make all the difference.

• Paid Members

the startling thing is for a pair who have such a ridiculous high KO percentage (im sure they have the best KO ratio's in heavyweight history), they still don't catch on :confused:

does anyone know if Sky & Barry McGuigan had a fall out? i dunno if i missed anything but i aint seen McGuigan on Sky in a while and Carl Frampton has just signed a deal with Boxnation/Frank Warren (he'll fight on the July Wembley show).

...and in a decent piece of news, it looks like Channel 5 has decided to keep boxing on, there's a show headlined by James DeGale next Saturday, details here.

Edited by Ebb