Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah March 17th for Brook vs Hatton. Sergio Martinez vs Matt Macklin is confirmed for the same night at Madison Square Garden.

And Tommy Karpency is Cleverly's opponent on Feb 25th in Cardiff. Enzo Maccarinelli is meant to be on the undercard for that one.

And Frank Warren is saying he'd like to make a Cleverly vs Froch fight for June

"I would like to see Nathan fight again in early June at Cardiff City's ground in a big open-air show and if Carl Froch wants to step up a weight and fight him then I'd take that fight in a heartbeat, he's made for Nathan. Then I'd be looking for Nathan to have a unification fight hopefully in September against one of the other title holders.

I aim to bring big-time boxing shows back to Wales regularly again and Nathan is the man to spearhead that. Karpency is a hard fight for Nathan, but it will bring out the best in him and it will be a sparkling homecoming on February 25th at the Motorpoint Arena and live on BoxNation. He's only had a few fights as a world champion since winning the title and first I want to establish him in Wales so the fans get to see their new star in action again.

Nathan's fought around the country in the last few years and showed a lot of grit and determination in going to Liverpool last time out against Tony Bellew so now he deserves a homecoming fight. With Nathan it's about the right time and the right moment, picking up the experience and confidence, winning and unifying titles as we go towards bigger things."

I'd be surprised if the fight ends up happening but it would be a pretty big domestic fight if it was promoted well. Not Benn vs Eubank but it would be good. I thought Froch was meant to be fighting Lucian Bute again next though so this is unlikely.

Edited by wandshogun09

While Khan has bitched and moaned and generally come across as a bad loser, it is now clearly obvious that something dodgy went on at that fight. I've seen the footage, and if that guy isn't an official, what the hell is he doing talking to the judges? I personally scored it by 1 point to Peterson, so would have had Khan winning if the 2 points hadn't been deducted, but that's beyond the point now. There was someone who shouldn't have been there, and he may have affected the outcome. It's not going to be proven one way or another.

Well done to the WBA for doing the right thing and ordering a rematch. I'm hoping the IBF will do the same when they meet next week. It would surprise me slightly if the Washington DC Athletic Commission decide to call it a n-contest, but I suppose it is a possibility if they can't prove what actually happened with the judges and the scorecards.

Bring on a rematch, it was a cracking fight and I'll happily see them go again.

• Paid Members

I agree with that Craig. The guy outside the ring shouldn't have been near the judges. As it was, I scored it for Peterson. Thought he had a lot of success in the exchanges and threw Khan off with his constant pressure and edged it close. The points being deducted was the right call imo. But Khan, despite all his whinging being annoying, has a legitimate argument with how that guy was allowed to get so close to the judges during the fight. It was a close fight so I don't see any problem with the rematch to be fair.

It's just a shame all this moaning and controversy has pretty much overshadowed what was one of the best fights boxing had in 2011 and it's also kind of taken a little away from the great underdog performance Lamont put in. People will most likely remember it for that bloke at ringside more. The rematch is not ideal for Peterson but he should look at it as a chance to prove the right man won and erase all controversy.

• Paid Members

Today is the 70th birthday of Muhammad Ali

Anyone been watching all the Ali programming lately to coincide with his 70th? There was the 'When Ali Came To Britain' documentary on ITV1 last night (probably find it on Youtube). Loads of stuff on ESPN Classic too and there's a 5 part series called 'Ali: Still The Greatest' which is on every night on ITV4 this week presented by Des Lynam and Barry McGuigan. Good stuff.

All these should be on you tube - of the top of my head in no particular order..... they range from short fights to distance fights. Some of the fighters names might be spelt a little wrong but if you type them into you tube you will get them. Didnt include any of the heavyweight fights of the 70's as i'm not sure if they are on yt in their entirity.

Bowe V Holyfield trilogy

• Paid Members

You can't go wrong with these

Diego Corrales vs Jose Luis Castillo 1

Arturo Gatti vs Mickey Ward (All 3 fights)

Marco Antonio Barrera vs Erik Morales 1

Felix Trinidad vs Fernando Vargas

Aaron Pryor vs Alexis Arguello 1

Roberto Duran vs Iran Barkley

Marvin Hagler vs Tommy Hearns

Marvin Hagler vs John Mugabi

Nigel Benn vs Gerald McClellan

Evander Holyfield vs Riddick Bowe 1

Michael Katsidis vs Graham Earl

Roberto Duran vs Davey Moore

Arturo Gatti vs Wilson Rodriguez

Larry Holmes vs Ken Norton

George Foreman vs Ron Lyle

Ricky Hatton vs Kostya Tszyu

Jorge Arce vs Hussein Hussein 1

Salvador Sanchez vs Wilfredo Gomez

Arturo Gatti vs Gabriel Ruelas

James Toney vs Vassiliy Jirov

Naz vs Kevin Kelley

Nigel Benn vs Chris Eubank 1

Manny Pacquiao vs Juan Manuel Marquez 1

Julio Cesar Chavez vs Meldrick Taylor 1

Jamie Moore vs Matthew Macklin

Bobby Chacon vs Cornelius Boza Edwards 2

Bobby Chacon vs Rafael Limon 3

Most of these should be on Youtube. Some of my favourite fights ever and I know I'm forgetting a bunch more. Seriously pick any of them and you're in for a treat.

Khans team have withdrawn their appeal over the result of his fight, what's this all about.then? With the WBA agreeing he should have a rematch I thought this matter seemed cut and dry but obviously not.

I hear Pacquiao has turned down the May 5th fight against Mayweather and Khan is one of 3 potential opponents for Floyd now along with Cotto and Saul Alvarez

• Moderators

The A-Force is back in action in order to realise his destiny as he takes on Ali Adams in a 10 rounder next month. The masochist in me wants Harrison to win and then call out Tyson Fury and they can have a titantic tussle as Tyson Fury can join the real Clash of the Titans which is any combination of Harrison/Williams/Sprott/Skelton.

The A-Force is back in action in order to realise his destiny as he takes on Ali Adams in a 10 rounder next month. The masochist in me wants Harrison to win and then call out Tyson Fury and they can have a titantic tussle as Tyson Fury can join the real Clash of the Titans which is any combination of Harrison/Williams/Sprott/Skelton.

Butch, that set of scenarios makes more excited than anything Mayweather could come up with. We can but hope, my friend.