Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

That was a brilliant interview from Thompson, I hope he comes over here again and gets his hands on Fury, I'd love to see him do the same thing. He does deserve more respect, you take losing to Wlad twice out the equation and he has a very good record.

• Paid Members

Thompson did some announcing with Bunce and co last week. He's got a ton of personality.

I wrote this on another forum (and maybe here as well) after the first Thompson/Price fight. I think it applies again.

...There is a narrative espoused by some British boxing folks (like Frank Maloney) that the Klits' opponents are terrible. When those people make that argument there's also a tacit suggestion that when a real fighter comes along that he's going to expose those Ukrainian clowns. So, those British boxing folks do end up with egg on their face when, for instance, David Price gets TKOed by someone Wlad thoroughly outclassed and stopped twice or David Haye goes over to Germany and, well, gets treated like every other Wlad opponent...
Edited by nfc90210

Buncey loves to sugarcoat it to gain favour . "Its not his chin, it was a stamina issue." Was it bollocks. His stamina was shot because he was battered about with hooks and uppercuts. The only reason Price didn't go down was because the ropes were holding him up in the corner when he went to hide.

Apparently David Haye has signed up to fight Tyson Fury on 28 September 2013.

Much as I would love to see this fight, this smacks of gamesmanship from Haye, and appears as carny as a WWE title contract signing. I can't find anything from Fury's camp suggesting this is even close to being "deal done". All this will do is allow Haye to claim Fury is ducking him, unless Fury signs..

EDIT: Taken from ESPN - Haye signed...adding that he would post it to Fury to add his signature and confirm the eagerly anticipated bout.

Edited by bigfoote

Matchroom have got a mash-up of fights to accompany Luke Campbell's pro debut tonight on Sky. Anthony Ogogo will be in action. Lee Selby takes on the unbeaten Romanian, Viorel Simion. The Brook/Jones rematch is on there too, as well as a Derry Matthews fight.

Watched the Kel Brook and Luke Campbell fights tonight. Backed both of them to win by KO, so was happy with both results. The Luke Campbell fight never got going though did it. The commentators were hyping his opponent up a bit, and he got finished inside 1 round.

• Paid Members

early olympic careers are usually a frustrating affair because there's obviously there's a demand to see these guys fight, but there's also a need to protect them, after 3-4 fights there'll be complaints that he isn't being challenged but it's all part of the process.

...whilst im here i'll comment on Thompson/Price II (i found a bar advertising it in Gran Canaria, got there to watch and they couldn't get the signal, tamping), i caught up on it and you gotta feel that Thompson and his camp made a big mistake going for a Thompson rematch, whilst i predicted a Thompson win, i don't think anyone really expected Thompson to come over in much better shape and even more motivated, it was a move that bit em in the ass. Thompson put a bit of experienced master class in how to not panic under extreme pressure, and how to drag superior athlete where he isn't comfortable. Where Price goes is anyone's guess? he's a hugely likable guy and you hope to see him do well but it appears that he just doesn't have the bottle for it when it gets tough, its harsh to say but it's not something everyone has.

I'm still not sold on Kell Brook. When he's on-point he's world class no doubt about it but there were times that he struggled again against Carson Jones who's basically a top-end journeyman at this point. I sense Brook's the kind of fighter that needs a higher level of opposition to actually go up through the gears but his frustrating stop-start career isn't seeing him take the leap. He's said he's bringing over a world class opponent for September, hopefully that's the case.