Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Well put Carbomb, totally agree.

The footage they show at the end of Ali in his prime is night and day compared to the Ali he fought Holmes. I always have Ali's prime down as when he first won the title to when he got drafted, no one could touch him in that timeframe and he was the best Heavyweight the world has ever seen. Despite this, his most memorable fights came after that.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Also, sadly, he was probably also the best heavyweight the world never saw - we were robbed of what would most likely have been his peak years, when he'd have reached the right stage of balance in youthful energy and veteran experience. It's actually almost scary to think what could have been had he not been banned from boxing those four years.

• Paid Members

That doc is great, albeit sad to watch. It's called Muhammad and Larry, it's been doing the rounds for years and regularly pops up on ESPN Classic.

I agree on Ali's prime. Ali himself said that the young Ali (well Clay at the time) from the 60s was better physically, faster etc but the Ali post ban from the 70s on was a smarter fighter. I've always felt, like Carbomb, that the 4 years he was out of commission would probably have been his absolute peak. When he'd be a blend of both versions of the Ali we know.

Larry Holmes was a fucking great fighter who deserves more recognition than he gets in my opinion. He had a great career in his own right, a long title reign and also had a decent comeback from retirement. Big fan of Larry.

Edited by wandshogun09

The saddest part of the fight (cant remember the round) is when Ali is in the corner and Holmes doesnt want to hit him anymore, realises Ali has nothing left- but Ali is telling, almost ordering Holmes to hit him.

I've still not seen the doc- will need to keep my eye on ESPN Classic more.

• Moderators
Larry Holmes was a fucking great fighter who deserves more recognition than he gets in my opinion. He had a great career in his own right, a long title reign and also had a decent comeback from retirement. Big fan of Larry.

Not to mention him making Trevor Berbick look a total bitch.

Tonight's showdown between Rees and Broner should be a decent clash. I didn't realise how short Rees was and with a 7inch reach deficit, I can't seem him having much luck all night. He will have to fight up close which will play straight into Broner's hands and will wear Rees down for a late finish.

Rees is probably a few to many years past his prime to put up a really good challenge for me. His last couple of fights against Matthews has shown this, he has started to slow. While he got away with this against Matthews in the second fight, he will not be given the chance tonight if he starts that way.

If he starts slow i see him getting stopped within 4 or 5. If he starts fast i see see him struggling for gas and getting stopped around 7 or 8. I would pick Rees to get stopped around 5 or 6. Not knocked out, just stopped from the onslaught of punches.

Martinez and Murray is on Boxnation which is a good coup for them.

I watched the Lennox Lewis sporting hero's thing of Sky Sports with Newbon the other day. Lewis truly is the King of boxing. Almost regal like. Nice story he mentoned about sparring with Tyson. He said when he first went to the gym Tyson was really friendly and took him upstairs in the gym showing him old fights of legends on an old school projector etc.... then when they sparred the next day Tyson tried to take hos head off.

Broners ring entrance... bloody hell. What a twat!

I don;t need to say anything on the fight but I might go in to training for a chance to be in the same ring as that smarmy american prick of an interviewer after the fight. His complete lack of any dignity or respect was disgraceful (but the same could be said of each and every american in that ring tonight)

Edited by rubbafish

• Paid Members

it was a quality little fight though. Rees gave it 100% and went out on his shield, it took Broner a few rounds to figure him out but once he got going he's just on another level. I know they apparently weighed the same on fight night and Broner is 2 inches taller but fucking hell he seemed huge in there compare to Rees.

HBO continued their run of showing the families of the fighters during the broadcast, it's a fascinating yet tasteless thing to do...the winners is fair enough but seeing Gavin Rees' girlfriend leaving after the first knockdown just felt intrusive, still it's all about the drama.

Broner's gonna be a guy that everyone's gonna love to hate, he's the most exciting prospect in boxing and will likely end up the biggest boxing star on the planet once Mayweather hangs em up, he's very annoying and he's cocky as shit but that sells. It's all an act though, the guys like a pro wrestler, he hams it up like fuck for the camera's, ive read loads and seen footage that says that Broner's a good guy.

Broner was superb yet again. He's an entertainer on top of a boxer, he is putting it all out there and it's working. He was respectful in his interview with sky, but it's all a persona. Some of the shots he hit were devestating and hopefully a fight with Burns or Vasquez will happen so we have a huge unification fight in the summer.

• Paid Members

Broner hams it up so bad though. Doesn't know when to easy off with it and becomes embarrassing. Watched one of the press conferences and he was coming out some shite and it was just dead silence.

Then he was doing a rare thing in boxing of still disrespecting his opponent after the fight with the HBO interview (Which Kellerman is getting alot of stick for.) Sky studio team looked like they was about to cry but thankfully he came across a lot better when he jumped into Rees UK interview.

Vibe i'm getting is Vasquez isn't too great (anybody seen him?) and even if Burns wins would Warren put him in with Broner.

Can't wait for him to move up and surely in line for some 24/7 treatment.

• Paid Members

i think Broner would dispatch of Burns without much of a problem (pardon the pun).

My dad is watching the fight now, i sat with him as Broner made his entrance, my dads exact words were 'there's something wrong with his brain mun'.

• Paid Members

The thing about the entrance is how unfazed he seems. Guess he was pretty confident of winning against Rees be interesting to see if he keeps it for a big fight.

Thing his got going for him are his fights are more friendly than Floyd's and Ward's.