Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Groves vs DeGale. Groves has a defence like Lincoln City and leads with his chin more than Jimmy Hill. I cant see him lasting 12

I give Groves a chance for 2 reasons.

1) DeGale hasn't had a gut check like Groves had in his last fight. And because of that...

2) DeGale might believe his own hype, drop his hands get over confident and lose like he did in the amateurs.

I personally want Groves to win as I think DeGale will benefit more from the defeat, like the way Khan has.

On a seperate note, that undercard has a cracking fight on it. Frankie Gavin v Young Mutley should be superb. Mutley is not as good as he was a few years back but he is stilla huge step up in class for Gavin and could be a very interesting yardstick indeed.

• Paid Members

After watching all the media stuff between Haye and Klitschko over the past week, I'm even more determined to see Haye get knocked out. Klitschko is so frigging classy, whilst Haye is a petulant dick.

• Paid Members
After watching all the media stuff between Haye and Klitschko over the past week, I'm even more determined to see Haye get knocked out. Klitschko is so frigging classy, whilst Haye is a petulant dick.

I fucking loved that Ringside special this week- fantastic yet surreal. Klitschko is hilariously crazy, the 'Borat-off' was bizarre and his 'shake my magic hand' thing was mental. Klitschko definitely came out looking better, Haye refusing to be near him whereas Wladimir wanted him there, although Haye looks as though he is taking this more seriously.

Terrific build-up though, although I have a soft spot all of a sudden for Klitschko you have to want a Haye win- purely in hope that they can then start to build a potential Haye/Vitali bout. I know Haye claims he will retire, but as if he's going to turn down a big payday VS Vitali, especially with an opportunity to become undisputed world heavyweight champion. That would ensue a fantastic climax to the Haye/Klitschko Brothers feud- which would prompt Sophie to say "This feud has been built superbly, I would end it with a big gimmick bout and move the workers onto new feuds".

• Paid Members

anyone see Abraham/Ward? after the Froch fight i didn't think Abraham would have much for Andre Ward and that was the case, Abraham just doesn't seem to have much for the skilled boxers at Super Middleweight, he just covers and up and throws very little, it's a weird way to fight. Abraham looked ok for around 3 rounds but after that it was a bit of a shutout.

Think we're gonna get a Ward-Froch final.

Just watched Groves v Anderson & have to say that i was shocked at how poor Groves was tactically. He has power & guts but has to get street smart before Saturday or he will be a sitting duck!

I know i am contradicting the above sentence, but i think Groves will win on Saturday. This prediction is based purely on gut instinct, much like when i predicted Eubank to beat Benn in their first encounter. When you have bad blood & undefeated streaks, the underdog often rises to the challenge........Interesting!

• Paid Members

Been watching/reading up on loads of old boxing stuff lately and came across this story I hadn't heard about before.

In 1983 undefeated prospect Billy Collins Jr (14-0 with 11 KOs) fought Luis Resto. Resto was a journeyman brawler and thought to be a decent test but wasn't known to be a hard puncher and was considered a stepping stone for Collins.

Anyway the fight started and within a couple of rounds Collins was getting fucked up pretty bad and over the course of the fight sustained a lot of damage to his face with huge swelling around his eyes. It went the full 10 rounds and Resto got the decision.

After the fight Resto went to the Collins corner to show respect and Collins' dad noticed Resto's gloves had been tampered with. Here's the moment where Collins' dad realized

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLV1EP82Yp4...feature=related

Resto's trainer Panama Lewis had taken out a load of padding from Resto's gloves in the locker room before the fight and it came out later that Lewis also wrapped Resto's hands in a kind of plaster which would harden like a cast. So basically Resto was hitting Collins with rocks for 10 fuckin rounds.

Collins the day after the fight

billycollins.jpg

Collins never fought again, fell into depression and died a year later in a car crash but there's speculation that it was suicide. Resto had his license taken off him and also never boxed again. And Panama Lewis was banned from cornering for life although he's occasionally trained the likes of Mike Tyson and Zab Judah since and still made money off the sport.

Not sure how well known this story is but I found it really fascinating/disturbing. I'd heard of the incident before this in the Aaron Pyor/Alexis Arguello fight where Panama Lewis gave Pryor some drug in his water in the corner to give him more energy but never heard this story till now. Panama Lewis is a total piece of shit

• Awards Moderator

Cheers for posting the summary of what happened and the link to the documentary - I'm going to watch that when I get home tonight. Stories like that fascinate me for some reason yet I'd never even heard of what happened in that fight. I've just emailed my mate who is up on his boxing and he knew about it, but has never seen the documentary (so a thanks from him, too).

I've not actually watched the documentary yet, it's been on my 'to watch' list for a fair while.

But there is a fairly good account of the story in the book Four Kings, which I always recommend when people are on here looking for boxing books. It's predominantly about Hagler, Hearns, Leonard and Duran, but covers other big boxing incidents in the 70's and 80's, including this one. It's a fairly well known incident in the boxing world, and it was brought back in to the headlines recently with the whole Margarito shenanigans, and that HBO doc that was on around the same time.

Edited by Sergio Bellend

It's in Four Kings? I bought my old man that very book for Christmas, so I'll be swiping it off him at some point for a read. Nice one.

Yeah I'm 99% sure it is, though it's a good couple of years since I read it. I was vaguely aware of the Panama Lewis thing before then, but it was in Four Kings that it was fully explained.

Double post, obviously but big news this morning, Jurgen Braehmer has pulled out of the fight with Cleverly this Saturday. Apparently he's been stripped of the belt, and Clev will get it, so presumably they will find some shitty late notice opponent, the majority of the public don't care and it stays on PPV.

SKY aren't having much luck recently with their boxing lineup's being decimated. Thats Khan v McCloskey ditched from SBO, Prizefighter became a bit of a farce after the two biggest names withdrew on short notice and now a world champion main eventing their next PPV offering dropping out on less than a weeks notice.