DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

Watched Run Ronnie Run the other day.

Wasn't expecting too much, obviously because of reading about David Cross and Bob Odenkirk disowning the final cut of the film (etc), but Ronnie and Terry Twillsteen were some of my favourites from Mr. Show anyway so thought that I had to watch it really. I thought that it was a pretty decent comedy film. It wasn't fantastic, but was very enjoyable. There were some really funny bits in it as well (my favourite being the whole of the 'Three times one minus one' music vid). It also had a whole bunch of celeb cameos (including Ben Stiller, Jeff Garlin, Trey Parker and Matt Stone, Mandy Patinkin, and also oddly David Baddiel), as well as other former 'Mr. Show' regulars like Jack Black and Mary Lynn Rajskub.

Also saw 28 Weeks Later a week or two ago. I hadn't seen much of the first film (but knew the general plot, and had seen the ending), but I thought that it was pretty average overall. There were some good bits (The start of the film, and several action bits during the rest of the film), but there were just too many boring bits that just seem to be there as 'filler material'. There was some wooden acting at times as well (particularly the kids), and some unlikely happenings in the film, but I don't see why people and the press seem to be raving about it. For a 'horror-style' film, there was also one slightly scary bit (at the start where they come through the windows), but Indepence Day had a scare in like that as well, so for a horror/thriller film, it should have been much better.

Edited by jerichoholictufcfan

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

I watched Them yesterday, and I quite enjoyed it.

It's a French film about an ex-pat couple living in Romania who are terrorised in their home during the course of a night. Aside from the odd tired horror clich

Edited by JLM

Chuckled to myself today when I read in the Daily Star there's a new film out today called "Wedding Daze" in which Jason Biggs plays a loveable loser who ends up pulling some attractive women in a film full of cock jokes.That's an interesting new direction the "American Pie" (x 3), "Loser" and "Evil Woman"/"Saving Silverman" actor is taking his career. :bored:

• Paid Members

Chuckled to myself today when I read in the Daily Star there's a new film out today called "Wedding Daze" in which Jason Biggs plays a loveable loser who ends up pulling some attractive women in a film full of cock jokes.That's an interesting new direction the "American Pie" (x 3), "Loser" and "Evil Woman"/"Saving Silverman" actor is taking his career. :bored:

Easy money and naked women. Fuck new directions.

The Player didn't expect much disbite the incredible reviews but unbelievely awesome from beginning to the fantastic end. It's between this and The Long Goodbye for Altman's best film from what i've seen. I'll be watching Short Cuts next week so this might change

I also watched Brewster's Millions for about the 60th time and Wayne's World for the Millionth time both still great

The Player didn't expect much disbite the incredible reviews but unbelievely awesome from beginning to the fantastic end. It's between this and The Long Goodbye for Altman's best film from what i've seen. I'll be watching Short Cuts next week so this might changeI also watched Brewster's Millions for about the 60th time and Wayne's World for the Millionth time both still great

The Player is awesome but for me it has to be between Mash or Mcabe and Mrs Miller for my favourite Altman film. I watched Short Cuts about a year ago and altough it shows flashes of greatness it's a little too messy to measure up to his other 'great' films imo. Well worth a watch though.

The Player didn't expect much disbite the incredible reviews but unbelievely awesome from beginning to the fantastic end. It's between this and The Long Goodbye for Altman's best film from what i've seen. I'll be watching Short Cuts next week so this might change

I fucking love Short Cuts. It's actually very, very similar to The Player in style but I'm a big Raymond Carver fan so Short Cuts edges it for me.Saw the first 40 minutes or so of The Black Dahlia last night before I had to leave the room - did anyone like this? And if so, can they explain to me why? What a mess.

The Player didn't expect much disbite the incredible reviews but unbelievely awesome from beginning to the fantastic end. It's between this and The Long Goodbye for Altman's best film from what i've seen. I'll be watching Short Cuts next week so this might changeI also watched Brewster's Millions for about the 60th time and Wayne's World for the Millionth time both still great

The Player is awesome but for me it has to be between Mash or Mcabe and Mrs Miller for my favourite Altman film. I watched Short Cuts about a year ago and altough it shows flashes of greatness it's a little too messy to measure up to his other 'great' films imo. Well worth a watch though.
I've not seen either but plan to. Up to this point i've already seenThe Long Goodbye (1973) FantasticThieves Like Us (1974) I think ni've seen this but don't remember it at allNashville (1975) Not really mePopeye (1980) AwfulThe Player (1992) As i've already said brilliant a must see for anyoneCookie's Fortune (1999) OkGosford Park (2001) Hated, got the twist straight awayAnd i'm planing to watch Countdown (1968) That Cold Day in the Park (1969) MASH (1970) Brewster McCloud (1970) McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971) California Split (1974) Buffalo Bill and the Indians, or Sitting Bull's History Lesson (1976) 3 Women (aka Robert Altman's 3 Women) (1977) Secret Honor (1984) Short Cuts (1993) Kansas City (1996) I'll end up watching this it's in a pile of ex rental vhs i've gotThe Gingerbread Man (1998)

• Paid Members

Just caught Enduring Love on film4, A British movie based on the novel by Ian McEwan. The story is about two strangers, who wind up becoming dangerously close after witnessing a deadly balloon accident. I really wasn

• 2 weeks later...

Last 3 FilmsA History Of ViolenceNowhere near as good as i thought it would be. Even though it's only about 90 min it felt over long, predictable. It's not awful but really was hoping for a lot moreThe KingReally good. Gael Garcia Bernal is one of if not the actor of the 00's. He pulls of an American accent with ease and is fantastically nasty, to go on would ruin the film Shocking in places a great William Hurt performance as well. RecommendUnder The SandA little dull. Charlotte Rampling may be knocking 60 but judging by her topless scene everything's still in place

Edited by ultimo the great

Some films I have watched over the last couple of months...

Hostel 2 - Starring Lauren German (the girls who blows her head off in the TCM remake), Heather Matarazzo, Bijou Phillips, Roger Bart (Desperate Housewives), Richard Burgi (Desperate Housewives) and Stanislav Ianevski (Viktor Krum out of Harry Potter 4), as well as having a short cameo from Jay Hernandez as Paxton, it is an improvement over Hostel even if it still takes about 45-minutes to get to the film I expect many want to see (the blood, violence etc...). It has better acting, seems more focused and Beth, the main character, actually has some sense and tries to keep her friends (and herself) out of trouble. It also has an interesting ending but one undoubtedly many people will laugh at, others will groan at and others will be disappointed by. It takes a look at both sides of the situation (looking at both the dilemmas of the torturers and tortured) and yet again Eli Roth shows he has a sick mind.

Vacancy - entertaining with a little humour at times, but takes about 20-minutes to get going and for the tension to start to build (when they get to the motel room), and for an 80-minute movie that is probably too long. The acting is of a required if pretty unimpressive standard; you do feel the characters desperation to escape though, while the short 80-minute runtime is both a strength and a weakness

Zodiac - a great movie which is very interesting and intriguing, with an authentic look (the film looks like it was set in the different time periods) and a great cast with good performances from all of the lead actors. The film looks mostly at the effect the case had on the lives and careers of the different men who got involved in the hunt for the Zodiac killer, and is a dialogue-driven movie and long at over 2-and-a-half-hours. The limited action and lack of answers & a definite killer in the end could be off-putting for some, but personally I had no problem with the way the film progressed and the ending, and I found it to be one of the best films of 2007.

Seconded. I watched this yesterday and really enjoyed it. I found it had a really odd pace in that it didn't really feel like it had a typical ABC narrative to build tension, it was more a labyrinth of dead ends. It also really nailed how easy it is for some people to become obsessed with unsolvable cases and how the red-tape of police/legal procedures can just as easily be masking the truth as it can provide the kind of red-herrings that lead such obsessives completely down the wrong path. This was just a really satisfying meal of a film.

The KingReally good. Gael Garcia Bernal is one of if not the actor of the 00's. He pulls of an American accent with ease and is fantastically nasty, to go on would ruin the film Shocking in places a great William Hurt performance as well. Recommend

This was my favourite film of last year, I loved it. I'm a sucker for all that 'dark underbelly of American suburbia' stuff, and this was just a beautiful film with a totally rotten core. Yay. Also, it reminded me a lot of Terrence Malik's Badlands, which can't be bad. Edited by Parkamarka

Deja Vu - flawed and long at 2-hours but enjoyable enough and carried quite easily by Denzel Washington in the lead role.

Deja-Vu was god-awful. How much money did they throw at Denzel for that piece of shit? Drive that car looking into the past Denzel, DRIVE IT!I watched Human Traffic the other day and loved it. Its not my scene at all and its a blatant Trainspotting rip-off, but a lot of things rip off each other, at least this had a couple of decent central characters and was an amusing film. Edited by HBAndy

• Paid Members

I watched The Prestige at the weekend. I really like Christian Bale and I thought it was a good story. My mate read the book though and she said it was completely different. And I got a bit confused with the last 2 seconds of the film...