Awful sections in great video games

RedTwoster

Two jump out at me

-Red Dead Redemption 2 where you get marooned on that island, only take about 40 mins to complete but it completely takes you out of the game. The game is brilliant because there is so much freedom and then it makes you stuck with limited free play choices.

-Hogwarts Legacy, any of the broom flying missions, just terrible

19 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

Hogwarts Legacy, any of the broom flying missions, just terrible

This is a great shout. I didn't play the game but my wife did.

One day she shouted me in and asked me to do have a go on one of the broom flying missions. I literally felt like the controller was broken. It was so unintuitive.

24 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

-Red Dead Redemption 2 where you get marooned on that island, only take about 40 mins to complete but it completely takes you out of the game. The game is brilliant because there is so much freedom and then it makes you stuck with limited free play choices.

Both brilliant shouts, but this is a particularly good one for me. It actively takes away from the game - it removes you from the brilliant Western setting, it limits what you can do and it feels a bit stupid and unrealistic compared to the rest of the story. I'm amazed it made it into the game, there must have been people who suggested it be cut as it's so widely criticised online. 

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

This is a great shout. I didn't play the game but my wife did.

One day she shouted me in and asked me to do have a go on one of the broom flying missions. I literally felt like the controller was broken. It was so unintuitive.

Sorry but I don't want any family anecdotes from you that don't include your father in law please!

9 hours ago, JNLister said:

"Great game" is pushing it, but Mafia 2 has a mission involving a wharfside warehouse that, as far as I can tell, is virtually impossible. All the walkthrough guides that are normally "it's not difficult, you just do this, so you must suck at gaming" simply wrote "yeah, it's fucked, the only way to do it is to take advantage of a glitch where you die in a very specific location and respawn with half the enemies missing."

Not sure why this suddenly reminded me of one of the Wily level boss fights in Mega Man 2 because it's a completely different type of section in an even older game in another genre, and the strat needed isn't even a glitch. After navigating invisible gaps in floors over one-hit death spikes, basically you have to know which items you need going in and make every shot perfectly.

If you don't know which power you need then you're gonna have to make it there a few times over (don't think the last checkpoint is just before the boss room like some later MM titles) to eventually figure out that it's Crash Bombs you want after some trail and error. Then you also need to use one of those extra numbered abilities you've unlocked to create platforms since you can't jump high enough to get to some of the higher ledges even though it looks like you can and on top of that, the only defence against the offscreen enemy that keeps firing pellets at you from all directions is the old pause buffer trick.

Growing up, the only tactic I knew was to destroy the barriers, deliberately die (as long you weren't on your last life before a Game Over) and then actually attack the onscreen enemies on the second go-around because that's what my friends did. All in all, absolutely brutal. Don't know how we put up with it as kids. Of course in more recent years I've seen it's actually possible to one-shot it and even speedrun but your average primary school kid in 1988 was unlikely to figure that out on their own. And yet I'm nominating it here because much of the rest of the game remains a delight.

• Paid Members

The island bit on RDR2 would have been pretty perfect DLC material. Including it as part of the main story was a mistake. The events leading up to it are so ludicrous as well. You rob a bank, get in a firefight with the Pinkertons, escape on a boat, the boat sinks, you end up on a tropical island in the middle of a civil war...just really stupid.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is an expansive, exploratory game that openly encourages you to try different things, experiment with everything and discover so much by yourself. I could wander for hours just finding materials, chasing horses, looking for caves and so much more in that game without ever choosing to touch the story itself.

However, in this world which wills you to look into every nook and cranny of the map, occasionally you might end up pulling a thread you wish you hadn't. And you might just be unlucky enough to, like me, stumble upon the Yiga Clan Hideout.

The Yigas are fascinating in BOTW. They disguise themselves as regular citizens, the sort who you're usually keen to talk to in case it garners you some rupees, weapons or a tasty meal. When they reveal themselves, they ambush you and teleport around in front of your very eyes. After a while, like any enemies, you learn their tricks and can even have some fun with them if you're more capable than I am. But none of this is at all related to their hideout, of course.

Because it's everyone's favourite: FORCED STEALTH SECTION.

If you're discovered, you are set upon by Blademasters and slowly pounded to death, unable to fight your way out. And unlike virtually every other section of the game, you can't even do this irritating challenge incrementally. They've disabled saves. Particularly frustrating if, again like myself, you stumbled upon the hideout at 11:55pm, just before you were about to go off to bed.

It's dull, it's stressful and it takes far too long, especially because the game isn't designed for this sort of stealth level. In a game which is otherwise my absolute favourite console experience bar none, this section still makes me cross to this day.

Edited by Daaaaaad!
too many spaces

Talking of Zelda, I’m going to suggest the depth in Tears of the Kingdom. When I first ended up underground, I expected to find interesting things - maybe an underground village, or creepy abandoned ruins of a town or something adding to the story, making you wonder what happened there - instead, it’s just as copy/paste expanse, which isn’t particularly fun to explore and doesn’t have much to it. The fact the game forces you down there at various points is a a bit annoying, it’s just not a fun area to visit.

5 hours ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

Astro Bot, I love you. But the square symbol level that utilises a rubber duck to navigate a lava level is pushing me to the brink. 

Edit: never mind, I’ve finished it. Sorry Astro Bot, I didn’t mean it. You don’t belong in this thread.

I struggled with this one too! ‘To The Beat’ is even harder though, I’m seriously struggling with that one. And it’s what stands between me and getting every bot right now…

EDIT: I completed it! Turns out there is an even harder optional challenge, which is now eating up my time…

Edited by RedTwoster

• Paid Members
On 9/10/2024 at 10:50 AM, FLips said:

You have to go left too much is the perfect way to describe Marble Zone and I will think of that every time I play it now!

On the subject of Sonic, the precision jumping below Flying Battery always puts me on edge. The rest of the level, even with it’s magnets and crushers and spikes feels like a breeze and then you go outside and it’s instant death pits and I lock up every time.

IMG_9750.webp

I love the music on that stage, though. 

The item degradation and constant recrafting in Animal Crossing New Horizons did my head in. There was so much busy work in that game. If it hadn't been for lockdown I'd have given up on it pretty early. I wasn't a fan of how all the island folk had the same limited dialogue based on their character type as opposed to in the previous games where they all had their own individual personalities. It felt pretty lazy. 

• Paid Members
On 9/14/2024 at 5:11 PM, RedTwoster said:

Talking of Zelda, I’m going to suggest the depth in Tears of the Kingdom.

I agree. Every time I'm forced down there it pisses me right off. More than anything it's just the fact you have to deal with the constant darkness everywhere and making sure you light everything up. It's so tedious and the whole area is the same grey/red/black rocks so it feels like it drags on and on.