Joke and Phrase Retirement Home

gmoney

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, deathrey said:

When I trained as a Mental Health First Aider we were told to use the phrase 'completed suicide'. As @Jazzy G pointed out 'commited' is generally used for crimes. I don't particularly like that terminology either, sounds like they finished a computer game 

I've just done a MHFA course and I'm glad to say "completed" suicide never came up! Hideous use of language. 

This is neither a joke nor a phrase but here seems to be the place to hate all things yoof. My 12 year old daughter tells me there’s people her age who think Nirvana is a clothing brand and I find it hilarious. That’s what you get goths.

• Paid Members
On 8/7/2024 at 10:57 AM, BomberPat said:

A big one for me. There seem to be thousands of people on TikTok who don't know what "POV" means, because 99% of the time I see it, it's on a video that isn't from that person's POV.

My daughter tried to convince me that it stood for "Point of Video" after showing me a TikTok "POV" that I said was not a "Point of View" in any shape or form.  I remain unconvinced.

On 8/7/2024 at 3:37 PM, Slapnut said:

Similar to this, adding “not” at the start of a sentence when they’ve done the exact thing they’re saying they haven’t done.

Everyone knows that it should be added at the end after a small pause, just like Borat does it...  NOT!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2024 at 8:30 PM, thevestofdeanambrose said:

Has anyone said Demure yet? That is heading straight for this thread

File under "People assume I'm doing the thing but I've always used that word" for me. Got pulled on it yesterday. 

There's no way I could have known. I've only just started catching up with Brat Summer.