EURO 2024

Weezenal

Posted (edited)

Better from England yesterday but agree with most of what Super Bacon's saying regarding Southgates ability to get the best out of the team. 

And I think Southgate extended for 2 years to the World Cup is a nightmare.

Pickford saving penalties is always a buzz though! Although it should never get to that stage.

Edited by NeverYield

• Paid Members

What annoyed me about leaving Rashford and Grealish at home was when Gordon and Cole were not getting any time off the bench at the start of the tournament, you just know that if the other two had been in the squad, they’d have been sent on and would have had potential to do something.

• Paid Members

I think Harry Kane said something in an interview during the group stages where he says the pundits shouldn't be so critical of the players, especially the ones who've played for England at tournaments before. It was proper "stop being mean" whinging to which the response would naturally be "stop being shit". 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cd111ynrg2do

• Members
53 minutes ago, Jazzy G said:

I think Harry Kane said something in an interview during the group stages where he says the pundits shouldn't be so critical of the players, especially the ones who've played for England at tournaments before. It was proper "stop being mean" whinging to which the response would naturally be "stop being shit". 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cd111ynrg2do

That was after they'd been called shit (it's up to you whether you think that's fair from one of the main broadcasters in this country, I'm not saying its right or wrong)

And a completely dignified response from Harry that is, as was the one from Declan Rice.

• Paid Members

Still, throwing a wobbly because the pundits have been critical of your performance is a bit crappy. If you don't want the pundits to be harsh, don't give them reason to. Bet he wouldn't have said that if it was Roy Keane slating them.

• Members
2 minutes ago, Jazzy G said:

Still, throwing a wobbly because the pundits have been critical of your performance is a bit crappy.

I honestly don't know how you can read that and think he's throwing a wobbly but each to their own.

Like I said, I think that's a pretty dignified response.

• Paid Members

Past England teams have been on the receiving end of much harsher critiques from the pundits than this one, and I don't remember their captains talking about it like this in the media. Just ignore them.

• Members
7 minutes ago, Jazzy G said:

Past England teams have been on the receiving end of much harsher critiques from the pundits than this one, and I don't remember their captains talking about it like this in the media. Just ignore them.

He was asked a question and answered it?

He didn't just stop the press conference and say "Oh and another thing Gary Lineker..." did he?

So what do you want him to do in that situation, not answer it? Ignore it and move on? Triple H it?

Jesus.

• Paid Members

Been really enjoying The Rest Is Football podcast with Lineker, Shearer and Micah Richards. Lineker basically said they were shit on there. It’s been interesting with the behind the scenes talk around the EUROs. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

It does read very much like "we don't want any criticism when we're playing shit". "Please tread lightly with us because you're ex-players". You just know if the TV pundits going in hard were journalists he'd be saying "Well it's easy for them to criticise, they've never been in this position."

It's his job as captain to support the team I know, but as Jazzy points out, the best way to answer that would be to play well. 

Edited by gmoney

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

He didn't just stop the press conference and say "Oh and another thing Gary Lineker..." did he?

So what do you want him to do in that situation, not answer it? Ignore it and move on? Triple H it?

Jesus.

We’ll never know how great Joe Kinnear could have been as England manager.

England’s problem is the same as it ever was. They’re less than the sum of their parts. Even proper world class managers struggled to get a tune out them. I often think they’d be better off if the players were a bit more average and they only had one or two stand out players. They’d still play boring football but the machine might be a bit more well oiled.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Jesus.

"I'm not here to talk about pundits, I'm here to talk about the tournament." 

At least Lineker and Shearer won trophies at club level. One of them with Tottenham. 

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, gmoney said:

It You just know if the TV pundits going in hard were journalists he'd be saying "Well it's easy for them to criticise, they've never been in this position."

Really grateful we’ve been spared that one. The most blockheaded response wheeled out in so many walks of life - sports, entertainment, consumerism. People that think “You haven’t done it so you can’t criticise the work” are beyond help.

This is from Grace Robertson’s Euros newsletter, about why Foden isn’t working in this England team and why Palmer is a better fit:

“England did gain a bit more zip about their play in extra time through some decent subs. I don’t think Cole Palmer is a better footballer than Foden, but he plays in a way in which he has to think about it less. Foden has spent so much time adapting to intelligently fit into Pep Guardiola’s positional play structure that you can’t just give him the ball and expect something to happen. Palmer just wants to try stuff. It’s what England need more of. International football is a different sport to the club game, and Palmer is better suited to this than Foden.”