Lucha Libre Thread - AAA, CMLL, & the rest of the masked lads

BomberPat

5 hours ago, waters44 said:

@ultimo the great did Luchablog ever sort anything out with regards to CMLL footage or is that all over now?

I’m really tempted to track down Triplemania but I’ve heard it’s absolutely shite ? has anyone seen it?

Not that i know off. he has posted a couple of matches and a recent show from Arena Puebla on DailyMotion

Most shows get posted on x-w-t and some on youku

Both Triplemania's are on AAA's youtube

Monterry is pretty bad, Tijuana was an improvement but personally i'd only recommend the Wagner Family vs Psycho Clowns match

Edited by ultimo the great

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Cheapheat said:

I would love to watch the ZSJ Hechicero match. I really have no idea how to watch CMLL, is there a service I can subscribe to or is YouTube my best bet? Thanks if you can help. 

Did some Googling and found this from good ol’ luchablog. Looks like there are various CMLL YouTube subscriptions 

77FF9C24-B296-4A50-A3E8-B17FF2BAB6A6.thumb.jpeg.49df7e0e46f97e0965e0b4903ae75919.jpeg

On 6/22/2024 at 2:00 AM, JLM said:

I was praying to the grappling pervert gods that somehow during this Forbidden Door season they would find a way to get Hechicero and Zack Sabre Jr. in the ring together. I didn't think I'd get it in AEW because they're both outsiders, but with ZSJ in North America for a little while I was holding out hope. 

CMLL have answered my prayers and I simply must find a way to see this match. 4352hrxo1w4d1.thumb.jpeg.1624399e009e6f9d9c453e76486f2792.jpeg

spacer.png

• Paid Members

Oh good lord. I was only intending to do All In as a one day road trip like last year, they can’t do this to me. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Yeah only seen a few matches. A good’un against Giulia and I thought she looked fantastic at Forbidden Door. A cut above a lot of the North American women’s wrestlers in terms of athleticism and technique for sure. Her English isn’t great as far as I’ve seen, better than Giulia’s though and it can be worked around. 

Also found out her ex is a wrestler for AAA who is currently awaiting trial for attempting to murder her. A number of wrestlers including RUSH and Dralistico have been vocally campaigning for his release, because wrestlers will always find new ways to be the absolute WORST.

• Paid Members

If you’ve got NJPW World watch her match with AZM at Windy City Riot from earlier this year - absolutely fantastic match and one of my favourite Womens matches this year. Only ten minutes but it’s an absolute blast

1 hour ago, JLM said:

Yeah only seen a few matches. A good’un against Giulia and I thought she looked fantastic at Forbidden Door. A cut above a lot of the North American women’s wrestlers in terms of athleticism and technique for sure. Her English isn’t great as far as I’ve seen, better than Giulia’s though and it can be worked around. 

Also found out her ex is a wrestler for AAA who is currently awaiting trial for attempting to murder her. A number of wrestlers including RUSH and Dralistico have been vocally campaigning for his release, because wrestlers will always find new ways to be the absolute WORST.

Not to turn this into an AEW signing more rotters thread but fucking hell..

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, waters44 said:

If you’ve got NJPW World watch her match with AZM at Windy City Riot from earlier this year - absolutely fantastic match and one of my favourite Womens matches this year. Only ten minutes but it’s an absolute blast

Watched it this evening cracking match. AZM's high speed sprint matches are always spectacular, but she's just as good as the ultimate underdog against a larger and more violent opponent. She is "plucky" personified and can do the Lio Rush style evasive schtick brilliantly as the opponent tries to slow her down. Also still only 21 years old, madness. Vaqeur played the bully role brilliantly, definitely had the aura of a dominant champion who holds all the belts. Nice violent offense and lots of swagger about her. I love how crisp some of her moves look too; she does the X-Pac running leg drop and it looks just as snappy and satisfying as his. 

Lot of praise for Vaqeur vs La Catalina from CMLL/NJPW Fantastica Mania last month, will have to try and get hold of that one. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

not that I'm suggesting this is a good moral stance to take, but a lot of the stuff around wrestlers campaigning for Cuatrero's release isn't necessarily a case of them thinking he's innocent or doesn't deserve to be punished (though I'm sure for some that is the case - he's part of a big Lucha family, a lot of these people will have known him since he was a kid, and between broader Mexican attitudes towards masculinity and attitudes on domestic violence, misguided loyalty, and some of them probably thinking "oh that guy I've known all his life isn't capable of this"), but for a lot of them it's been a protest that Cuatrero has been held in jail without trial for over a year, rather than being allowed out under house arrest.

Again, it's still not a good look and still a pretty poor moral stance to be taking, but it's not that a bunch of luchadores are arguing that Cuatrero is innocent, and a little has been lost in translation and in a social media game of telephone about this.

Taking Cuatrero out of the equation and just making this about Stephanie Vaquer, it puts AEW in a rough position with their partner companies, if every time they put a CMLL star on TV they're risking effectively just acting as a shop window for WWE - WWE can sit back and let AEW do the work of getting someone over and established on US TV, and then just swoop in with a contract offer, and if AEW counter-offer, they look like the bad guys exploiting their working relationship by signing away the other company's stars.

Edited by BomberPat

According to Meltzer on WOR, CMLL and NJPW are both royally pissed off with how Vaquer's signing went down. 

Both promotions basically assumed she would fulfil her advertised obligations and drops titles etc. but she told them on Tuesday she was done. Speculation is that she'll be officially revealed as a member of the WWE/NXT roster at their house shows in Mexico this weekend. 

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

According to Meltzer on WOR, CMLL and NJPW are both royally pissed off with how Vaquer's signing went down. 

Both promotions basically assumed she would fulfil her advertised obligations and drops titles etc. but she told them on Tuesday she was done. Speculation is that she'll be officially revealed as a member of the WWE/NXT roster at their house shows in Mexico this weekend. 

It's a mad way of doing business on Vaquer's part, and I would assume WWE are kind of pushing her to cut ties a little quicker than wrestlers normally would, because they're in a wrestling war far more than they like to acknowledge they are, and this is all pretty cut-throat. It also means she's almost certainly out of the RevPro Copper Box show on All In weekend.

WWE have let people fulfil existing bookings to a reasonable extend in the past, so either Vaquer has cancelled those bookings herself, or it's a sea-change in how WWE do business with free agents - or, more likely, with people working for AEW-affiliated companies. 

It feels like a bad move on Vaquer's part, though. The old cliché is about treating people well on the way up because you'll need them again on the way back down, because what happens if her WWE run doesn't pan out? Or if there's an issue with her visa, or the WWE medical catches something that means they won't clear her to wrestle for them? Are the companies she just left in the lurch, screwed over for bookings (and not just the odd match here and there - we're talking title matches, main events, and forcing CMLL to vacate a title), and generally fucked around going to be queuing up to work with her again if she finds herself back on the market in 6-12 months?