UFC 300 speculation

Bus Surfer

I was speaking to my fiance before and said one of the rumours is Brock coming back and I looked at his UFC history and completely forgot he main evented both UFC 100 and UFC 200 so it would be cool and pretty big if he main evented 300 too I've seen big Tom talking about him and that would be fucking ridiculous but there isn't a clear route to expect it's being kept so hush hush 

The UFC make so much money, and with the way the PPV deal they have is, I dont think theyre even that arsed about wanting to spend $5 million+ on one or two fighters. Like you said Wand, the card is a banger already. Just add one more marquee fight for it and I think theyll be done. Spending mega money on a fighter just doesnt seem the way they go these days, and if it is, itll be to impress the Abu Dhabi money guys

• Paid Members

I feel bad for Aspinall. He’s got more going for him than any Heavyweight that’s came along in years, and he’s still young enough to have a nice long run in him. But right when he’s flying high coming off a first round KO at MSG to win the interim belt, Jon Jones doesn’t wanna fight him, Stipe is very unlikely to be fighting him and he’s left with a bunch of fairly uninteresting and lacklustre challengers on the horizon. Highly doubt the Brock thing is happening. Tom’s clutching at straws at this point just trying to get a big name to bite. 

• Moderators

The thought of Brock Lesnar trotting out there has zero value for me and it is odd to me that there is even a buzz about it - feels like a bad state for the  UFC roster to be in

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, neil said:

feels like a bad state for the  UFC roster to be in

Definitely is. The fact that the only fights that people are talking about as truly mega and ‘300 worthy’ involve nostalgia acts and big names from 5+ years ago isn’t good. I think years of oversaturation, increasingly lazy promotion and especially the relentless cross-divisional fights and spamming of so-called ‘Superfights’ has meant nothing involving the current roster actually feels that big anymore. 

• Paid Members

Ah not that fucking Guru pleb invading this safe space. Plus if his source is known bullshitter Chael then I think it’s safe to say it’s complete bollocks.

Hate to piss in everyone’s chips but I think people need to just let go of any hopes for some massive name returning. I’m thinking now they’re just gonna delay announcing the main event until they see how Strickland vs DDP plays out next week. Apparently Izzy’s gonna be in attendance so don’t be surprised if 300 is headlined by the Strickland/DDP winner vs Izzy. 

Just on a tangent, but looking back at it, how disappointing (from a fans point) is it looking at Khabib and realising he's still only 35! I'm glad for him that he's happy to get out when he chose, but we've missed out on what would have probably been one of the greatest runs of all time since 2020.

• Paid Members

I’ve been thinking it’d be Leon vs Belal 2 as main event but the longer it’s dragging on, I think if it was gonna be that they’d have announced it by now. I think they’ve settled on Izzy headlining 300 and that’s where the delay is in announcing the main event. They need Strickland vs Du Plessis to play out first. It’s risky though. What if the winner of that is injured or something and can’t make the turnaround in time for April?

I know I’m being a glass half empty cynical fuck but I can see it all going tits up anyway. They’ll make Izzy vs Strickland/DDP and one of them will get injured days before and we’ll end up with Zhang vs Yan headlining 300 anyway 🤣 you know something like that’s gonna happen. Looking back, they had a pretty much perfect UFC 100. It really couldn’t have gone any better. But remember the absolute shitshow they had trying to hold UFC 200 together? I laughed about Tate vs Nunes headlining that one but it wasn’t like that was the original plan at all.

IMG_9723.jpeg.c6d3ff028bafbaa09de451462e4c7392.jpeg

IMG_9724.jpeg.a2029ce07cb2df042ceb540b5b8510d5.jpeg

These fights were supposed to go down at 200 but Jones got USADA’d and McGregor had some dispute with the UFC which delayed the Diaz rematch to UFC 202. There were also plans for a Holly Holm vs Ronda Rousey rematch but that got pushed back to the end of the year. Obviously they’d never have put all 3 of those fights on the same card but I reckon we’d have got 2 of them at 200. Everything went wrong and they had to give Brock a call and cobble together that weird Cormier vs Anderson Silva fight just to give the card some star power. Shit got fucked up. That was 2016. In 2024 they’ve got even less to play with in terms of big stars. Fans bring up these names from the past and fantasy book the 300 card but I don’t think the likes of GSP, Rousey etc have been sitting by the phone waiting for Dana to call. From what I’ve seen, most of them have moved on, GSP’s 42 now, Ronda’s a mum now, Khabib seemed completely content from the day he retired and hasn’t given any indication since that he’s missing fighting. Time doesn’t stand still and life goes on. I don’t think they want to come back. There’s always the chance of Brock taking a fight. He obviously stays in shape year-round for pro wrestling and he’s a big slut for a paycheque. But the main name I could see him being interested in fighting in Jon Jones and he’s not available.

If they wanted to make 300 special, and I’m not sure they’re even that bothered to really, then they should’ve just whacked McGregor vs Chandler on there. There’s gotta be a reason it’s all the way in fucking June but, as much as I loathe the prick, McGregor’s return is the biggest thing they have right now. Although, saving that for another PPV is probably smarter from the UFC’s point of view.

20 minutes ago, Dai said:

Just on a tangent, but looking back at it, how disappointing (from a fans point) is it looking at Khabib and realising he's still only 35! I'm glad for him that he's happy to get out when he chose, but we've missed out on what would have probably been one of the greatest runs of all time since 2020.

It is but, as much as people try to act like Khabib ducked Charles Oliveira these days, it’s shite. In October 2020 when Khabib called it a day, Oliveira was on a nice winning streak but he was coming off beating Kevin Lee and that was his best win at 155 at that time. Looking back now after seeing Charles beat Ferguson, Chandler, Poirier, Gaethje and Dariush it feels like a massive fight. In October 2020, it wasn’t. At that point, Khabib had just finished McGregor, Poirier and Gaethje and there wasn’t anything massive for him to stick around for. Other than maybe a McGregor rematch if McGregor got his shit together. But Khabib didn’t seem arsed about that and McGregor never did get his shit together.

I get what you mean though. With 2024 eyes, to think of those potential fights with Khabib vs Oliveira and even Khabib vs Volkanovski. Would’ve been incredible. But he’d have never fought Makhachev and Khabib sticking around means Makhachev never gets to fully rise. Thinking about it, it’s really only the Khabib vs Charles and Volk fights I wish we got and feel like we missed out on. The rest would’ve been mostly rematches with Poirier and Gaethje and I saw nothing in those fights, or from those guys since, that makes me think rematches would’ve gone any differently against an active Khabib. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

So…still no main event announced then. And we’re only about 8 weeks out from the show now. It’s all a bit weird.

I still think DDP vs Izzy is the front runner now, with Leon vs Belal 2 as the backup option. Neither ideal but what else do they have? It’s strange how long they’re dragging out confirming the main event though. It’s fairly common knowledge that Tuesday is ‘matchmaking day’ at UFC HQ, yet for 2 weeks now Wednesday rolls around and all Dana’s announced is Power Slap cack, maybe a few UFC fights announced for Apex cards, if we’re lucky. What’s the hold up?