UFC 300 speculation

Bus Surfer

• Paid Members

See, I’d have thought it makes much more sense to hold Pereira back for the May PPV which is gonna be in Brazil. Pereira and Pantoja are the only Brazilian champs they have now. And Pantoja doesn’t have an obvious opponent. There’s the winner of Moreno vs Royval 2 but that could be a war and what if the winner isn’t good to go again by May? Pereira against either Jamahal Hill or Magomed Ankalaev seems like the most obvious choice ever for the Brazil card. And let’s face it, the Brazil PPV is gonna need that fight way more than 300 does.

I don’t know, you might be right. But it’d be a bit stupid I reckon. Plus, am I the only one who isn’t really arsed in the slightest about Aspinall vs Pereira? I mean I’d obviously watch it and I don’t doubt that I’d enjoy it on the night. But it just feels like Pereira’s one of the more popular fighters on the roster these days and he’s one of the only good things about 205, and Aspinall is the present and future of Heavyweight and a guy they should be looking to try to build that division around. Pitting them against each other now just feels counterproductive. I’d much rather they both just stay in their own divisions. I get it more from Aspinall’s side because he’s really been left out as the spare prick at a wedding with Jones blatantly avoiding him in favour of fighting Old Stipe. But I’m not feeling Aspinall vs Pereira much really. Just feels like a desperation move to me. 

• Paid Members

Yeah Dana’s pretty much confirmed that something hasn’t gone to plan or something has fallen through. “It’s been interesting” is how he describes trying to make the 300 main event.

I’m stumped. All this time I’ve been convinced it’s either DDP vs Adesanya or Leon vs Belal 2. But if it was gonna be one of those fights then surely they’d have just announced it by now? There’s no reason to sit on the announcement if it’s one of those fights, and actually, dragging it out only to announce one of those fights is only gonna make it feel more underwhelming. I still think DDP-Izzy was the plan but maybe someone’s injured or DDP’s still banged up from the Strickland fight or whatever. Looking at Dana talking about it there, I think they’re out of ideas. Maybe they will end up doing something out of the box like Aspinall vs Pereira or even another Pereira vs Adesanya fight at 205 after all. 

Interesting he says there’s “two more fights” left to add to the card though. I think everyone just assumed the card was pretty much finalised now and just waiting on the headliner.

Whatever they do, they’re gonna have to sort it out soon and get the main event locked in because we’re 2 months out already.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

From scrolling Twitter this afternoon it seems a load of fans utterly convinced themselves that Dana was gonna announce the 300 main event during the Superbowl. Of course, he didn’t and there’s been moaning 🤣 I’m the last person who’s gonna stick up for Dana but I don’t recall him ever saying he was gonna do that. To announce a fight during the Superbowl it would have to be something like a McGregor fight. I don’t think Dana announcing the big rematch between Leon Edwards and Belal Muhammad would have quite the same impact really, would it? 

• Paid Members

Yeah, I think that was simply fans and media just trying to latch onto anything they could to make up for the lack of announcement. The thing is, no fight can justify the anticipation now, it's all abit silly.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I actually don’t know what fans even want for 300 anymore. Seems like nothing is gonna be good enough for some. Even when Gaethje vs Holloway got announced I saw complaining. It’s mental. It hasn’t been helped by the UFC dragging out announcing the main event though either. I think it’s clear they simply don’t have this monster fight that fans want, but the longer it’s taking to announce just feeds the silly expectations and feeds into the speculation. Seems like a lot of fans are assuming that the delays mean they’ve got something massive up their sleeve when, really, the exact opposite it probably true and the delays are because they’re scrambling and coming up with nothing.

• Paid Members

Are there really any monster fights left? Apart from Jones/Ngannou, I'm not sure there are. Jones/Lesnar might be a freakshow spectacle, but nobody's calling for it, I think.

Mate khamzat going for a belt would fucking be my top main events that's a possibility and in the running.

What's the deal with khamzat struggling to fight in the US all of a sudden I don't get what has suddenly happened to throw difficulty for him and them now??

I do think it's fairly obvious now they had a few main events in mind for it and every one of them has fallen through or been a big fat no so they're now scrambling and I completely understand why but Dana will be starting to sweat about it now with all the hype and stuff he's said and promised in regards to this main event.

I don't think it's justified though because this card is absolutely ridiculous and won't be matched at least until UFC 400 anyway 

• Paid Members

Normally, I'd be thinking it would be something to do with his Russian citizenship, but they don't seem to have any problem with the many other Russians competing in the UFC. I know he's now repping UAE instead of Sweden as a fighter, but, given that the US has less of a problem with the UAE than Russia, I can't imagine that would be a particular issue.

BTW, is it just me, or does anyone else have this weird perception of Chimaev that he seems to fight really infrequently, despite the fact that, numbers-wise, he's actually fairly prolific?

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

The Khamzat issues surely stem from his tight relationship with Kadyrov, no? 

The fact that Ariel is reporting UFC were considering him for both the 170 and 185 title matches is pretty insane based off his inactivity and inability to actually make 170lbs. Either way, he's since come out and said he won't be on UFC 300 because of Ramadan, so all this if true has been for nowt. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Bus Surfer said:

The Khamzat issues surely stem from his tight relationship with Kadyrov, no? 

I did wonder about that, but wasn't sure as it didn't harm the other fighters who have a relationship with him, like Khabib. But then maybe things have changed because of Ukraine.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

I did wonder about that, but wasn't sure as it didn't harm the other fighters who have a relationship with him, like Khabib. But then maybe things have changed because of Ukraine.

You'd certainly be more in the loop with those issues than I would, but I feel it has to be a little deeper than what's on the surface. Dana has looked redder than ever this week talking about the hurdles they're having to try and get over to make whatever fight they're alluding to actually happen at 300.

Khamzat barely fights once a year and hasn't really settled on a weight class despite obviously struggling to make the Welterweight limit... It's such an odd run, and the UFC seem happy to accommodate him regardless. I can't imagine most other fighters getting the kind of rope he has. 

Edited by Bus Surfer