AEW London 2023

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

Fucks sake, 2023 and people are still banging that 'wrestling fans stink' drum?

This weeks Dynamite got me proper excited for this show. Stadium Stampede is the icing on the cake for me, and seeing the greatest champ in history Orange Cassidy in this match pretty much justifies the ticket price for me.

I've never been arsed about Adam Cole but they've won me over with this storyline, it's probably the match I'm looking forwards to most after Stadium Stampede.

AR Fox getting a showcase match in front of 80'000 people is mental, fair play to him.

I watched the second Stadium Stampede this morning, to see how they structured the match with a live audience.

It was 29 minutes from their entrances to the point where they were in sight of any fans. Over 30 before they made the ring, and then over within a few minutes once they got there. Only Guevara and Speers made the ring. 95% of the action happened out of sight of the crowd.

Surely they’re going to change that for Wembley? Maybe just have them fight around the inner bowl of the stadium, but still in sight of at least some of the crowd?

You don’t draw a record crowd and then film for half an hour in the corridors whilst people watch on screens… do you? Surely the most valuable thing for them is going to be the visual of 80,000 fans going mad?

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

2 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I watched the second Stadium Stampede this morning, to see how they structured the match with a live audience.

It was 29 minutes from their entrances to the point where they were in sight of any fans. Well over 30 before they made the ring.

Surely they’re going to expedite that for Wembley? Maybe just have them fight around the inner bowl of the stadium, but still in sight of at least some of the crowd?

You don’t draw a record crowd and then film for half an hour in the corridors whilst people watch on screens… do you?

Unless i'm misremembering. Didn't the 2nd Stampede start in a completely different building? They had to go from the Stadium to justify the name and make their way to Daily's Place. It's not really a fair comparison. I've never thought of this as being a cinematic match. Just Anarchy in the Arena by a different name.

Just now, Infinity Land said:

Unless i'm misremembering. Didn't the 2nd Stampede start in a completely different building? They had to go from the Stadium to justify the name and make their way to Daily's Place. It's not really a fair comparison. I've never thought of this as being a cinematic match. Just Anarchy in the Arena by a different name.

Started across the road yeah.

But even then, they didn’t spend a long time on the pitch, they were into the corridors very quickly.

I mean, it’s the only comparison really. As it’s the only other Stadium Stampede they’ve done with a crowd.

I suspect it starts in the ring, so they can do their surprise entrances, works outwards, then works back inwards for a finish in the ring.

In a stadium that big, the only thing everyone can see is the ring and arguably the entrance way. You’d hope they’d increase the time spent in those areas, otherwise that’s a lot of people watching screens.

Still, I’m looking forward to it. But the last time, those Daily’s Place folks did a lot of TV watching.

• Paid Members

I reckon it'll be closer to the Anarchy in the Arena match. Plenty going on in the ring, some comedy stuff going on elsewhere. I doubt they'll be going 'let's not do the match in front of 80,000 people'.

I also now reckon the other three will be Kip, Butcher and the Blade. And, oddly, I hope so. Gets Kip onto the show (and I'd be happy for him if that happens). That way, you split out the more comedic stuff in one section, and the more violent stuff elsewhere.

Surely you don’t do the silhouette poster for Butcher and the Blade??

Kip I could see.

I still think Harry Smith and ZSJ are in with a shout. It ties into the British connection with the stable.

Maybe if Danielson, working around his injury, is a pipe dream it could just be Kip/Harry/ZSJ. Get Danielson out for the finale.

• Paid Members

Three mystery partners is such an odd situation; I wonder if they'll announce two on Dynamite next week, then leave one still a surprise for the night. It's asking a lot for both audience and performers to keep up the "who could it be" energy for three people rather than just one big reveal.

Given all the talk that he's trying to get cleared, I could see one being Nigel McGuinness - this kind of chaotic match could hide his ring rust and any precautions he has to take around how he works, he's a good fit for the BCC, and it's a built-in feud for a returning Bryan Danielson to take exception both with his old rival Nigel and with his stablemates for letting him in. Could do much the same story with Zack Sabre Jr, of him being welcomed in without Danielson's consent. 

It's weird, and as much as I hate to lean into CM Punk politicking stories, that they were doing a Samoa Joe/Zack Sabre Jr story for quite some time on ROH, and then Wembley comes along and Joe's got a match with CM Punk instead, that presumably isn't for the ROH TV Title, and Zack is nowhere to be seen. 

I've seen a lot of people suggesting that it will be some NJPW names, given that some will be in town for RevPro, and that Shota Umino in particular has history with Moxley. No offence to Shota, but that would feel a bit like just making up the numbers, though if they get Minoru Suzuki, it'll be worth it for Wembley singing Kaze Ni Nare. 

Edited by BomberPat

7 minutes ago, Chris B said:

You think they'd shift more tickets/PPV buys by being on the poster?

No, but I think you do a silhouette poster when you have something to reveal that people will like.

Butcher, Blade and Kip is proper shite. Like someone wrapping a turd for Christmas.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

It's weird, and as much as I hate to lean into CM Punk politicking stories, that they were doing a Samoa Joe/Zack Sabre Jr story for quite some time on ROH, and then Wembley comes along and Joe's got a match with CM Punk instead, that presumably isn't for the ROH TV Title, and Zack is nowhere to be seen. 

I've seen a lot of people suggesting that it will be some NJPW names, given that some will be in town for RevPro, and that Shota Umino in particular has history with Moxley. No offence to Shota, but that would feel a bit like just making up the numbers, though if they get Minoru Suzuki, it'll be worth it for Wembley singing Kaze Ni Nare. 

Part of the reason I was thinking Minoru Suzuki and Zack Sabre Jr was their history as Murder Grandpa and Pretzel Boy. Then just adding in whoever the third is - Danielson, Wardlow, Murderhawk... could be anyone there. But Kip and the Double-B's turning up on Dynamite felt a bit like a reminder that they're around.

Edited by Chris B

I tell you what, in terms of expectation management for this show, Edge’s ‘last match’ has come at a horrible time for Tony Khan.

The internet is alight with the fantasy booking for something that isn’t going to happen.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

No, but I think you do a silhouette poster when you have something to reveal that people will like.

3aef036869a32a41-600x338.jpg.095a2f6b1c649e62123ece02ef69e3b4.jpg

Generally, I tend to think if you have someone to promote, you promote them. If you have something disappointing, make them the mystery person. But then the job is to make the match fun enough that nobody minds.

Edited by Chris B

4 minutes ago, Chris B said:

3aef036869a32a41-600x338.jpg.095a2f6b1c649e62123ece02ef69e3b4.jpg

Generally, I tend to think if you have someone to promote, you promote them. If you have something disappointing, make them the mystery person. But then the job is to make the match fun enough that nobody minds.

The fact that people still talk about Savio makes me think if you build up a mystery partner, you have to have some meat behind it.

If they go into Wembley with silhouetted mystery partners, and then it’s Butcher and the Blade? Jeez. The silence would be impressive, at least.