The General Politics Thread v2.0 (AKA the "Labour are Cunts" thread)

David

On 9/16/2024 at 12:26 AM, Tamura said:

It has now been 10,000 days since the last time a democratically elected prime minister was voted out of office in the UK. It's a strange kind of democracy we live in....

I think thatā€™s fairly common. Before the election you talk of (Major > Blair, 1997), the occasion before that where a democratically elected PM was voted out was Heath > Wilson in 1974.

Thatā€™s the result of a democratic political system that does not have a maximum term, both parties will tend to throw the current incumbent to the dogs in the hope of getting the ā€œnew manager bounceā€ in the run up to an election. Ā 

17 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I know it's not top of the pops in terms of importance but this really highlights how out of touch and tone deaf Starmer can be.

Buy your own ticket you millionaire scrub.

Difference is that Starmer is PM and as such comes with higher stakes of protection...Corbyn nobody really would give a shit if someone whacked himĀ 

7 minutes ago, Tim Healys Chutney Spoon said:

Difference is that Starmer is PM and as such comes with higher stakes of protection...Corbyn nobody really would give a shit if someone whacked himĀ 

I dunno, Starmerā€™s got all the charisma of a soiled towel, and won the election by doing and promising nothing. Heā€™s already proven himself to be a liar many times over. So basically, just another bog standard politician, weā€™ve got plenty of those.

And letā€™s not forget that Corbynā€™s Labour at its lowest point was more popular than Starmerā€™s Labour in 2024 (10,269,051 vs 9,708,716). Corb has more people that love him, but also more people that think heā€™s a KGB agent sent by the IRA to kidnap children and provide free higher education after heā€™s finished tending his allotment.Ā 

• Members
2 hours ago, Tim Healys Chutney Spoon said:

Even if the above was true (it's not) and the issue is security (which is fair enough) I am certain that millionaire Keir Starmer will not struggle to pay for his own hospitality ticket.Ā 

And I can accept that some things do have to be put on expenses, most of us on here probably claim them, but going to football isn't a right.Ā 

• Paid Members

That's the thing, isn't it? I think Starmer is probably right that the Prime Minister can't just be sat in the stands with Joe Public - best case scenario is that he has to have his security detail take a bunch of seats away from ordinary people. But to suggest that the only solution to that is forĀ someone elseĀ to buy him hospitality tickets is where it doesn't add up.Ā 

He's clearly aiming for a relatable "well, I'm just a bloke like you, you can't expect me to give up watching the football, can you?", but has landed in an even more elitist and out of touch place to where he started.Ā