UFC 284: Makhachev vs Volkanovski - Feb 11 šŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗ

wandshogun09

Who wins?   

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

OK, this is still a way off and the card isnā€™t finalised yet but itā€™s a big one and I wanted to get a thread up to get the ball rolling on some discussion. Because this fight deserves it. Weā€™re off Down Under for this one, the Octagon lands in Perthā€¦

600920-B4-7357-4-F98-9-A7-A-9-A52-E08-B6

PPV MAIN CARD
Islam MakhachevĀ©ļøvs Alexander VolkanovskiĀ - Lightweight Title

Yair Rodriguez vs Josh EmmettĀ - Interim Featherweight TitleĀ 

Jack Della Maddalena vs Randy Brown

Justin Tafa vs Parker PorterĀ 

Jimmy Crute vs Alonzo MenifieldĀ Ā 

ESPN PRELIMSĀ 
Tyson Pedro vs Modestas BukauskasĀ 

Josh Culibao vs Melsik Baghdasaryan

Kleydson Rodrigues vs Shannon Ross

Jamie Mullarkey vs Francisco PradoĀ 

ESPN+/FIGHT PASS PRELIMSĀ 
Jack Jenkins vs Don Shainis

Loma Lookboonmee vs Elise Reed

Blake Bilder vs Shane Young

Zubaira Tukhugov vs Elves Brenner

Ā 

Again, this is not the final bout order. Iā€™m almost certain thereā€™s gonna be a few more fights added yet. And hopefully some good ones because this card in its current form is piss weak below the top two fights. To be fair, we were supposed to get Robert Whittaker vs Paulo Costa and Kai Kara-France vs Alex Perez on this card. Losing those fights has changed the look of this one for the worse. But at the very least we should be getting a Jack Della Maddalena fight added. Heā€™s from Perth, born and bred, so it wouldnā€™t make much sense to not have him in a prominent position on this card. Ideally something like Dariush vs Poirier would round this card out nicely, and it would provide a couple of backups if anyone drops out of the main event. But itā€™s getting late in the day to get a fight like that made now.

Ā 

8854-E55-F-A98-B-43-DA-9-AC9-F7-A07-E29-

Islam Makhachev vs Alexander Volkanovski is proper big time stuff. Lightweight champ vs Featherweight champ. About as high level a champion vs champion fight as you could ask for right now. Two men who are surely in the prime of their careers. Unless thereā€™s somehow better to come, which is a scary thought! Itā€™s almost a shame in a way that there hasnā€™t been any time for people to really clamour for this because Makhachevā€™s only just got the belt. I think thatā€™s why it doesnā€™t feel as big as it probably should. But purely as a fight and the way the styles match up on paper, itā€™s truly a fascinating clash.

3685199-A-B6-C2-4-DB3-B4-B2-26-C0496-D87

Makhachev just reached the top of the mountain in October, taking the Lightweight belt away from Charles Oliveira in one of the best performances of 2022. Definitely the best performance of Makhachevā€™s career to date. Thereā€™d been a fair bit of criticism of Makhachev going in. Mostly a load of complaining that he was even getting the title shot to begin with. Granted, he hadnā€™t beat any of the top ranked big names at 155 but he was on a long winning streak and the ā€˜namesā€™ like Poirier, Gaethje and Chandler only seemed interested in fighting each other anyway. Makhachev finished Drew Dober, Thiago Moises, Dan Hooker and Bobby Green in consecutive fights and, to be fair, was scheduled to fight Rafael Dos Anjos and Beneil Dariush before injuries nixed both. When Oliveira vs Makhachev was announced, I was chuffed. Never got all the moaning about it myself. It was a mega interesting matchup on paper and way more preferable to Oliveira just continuously defending against the same few names in re-runs.

33-FF4890-D6-E3-4-F86-9-B7-E-1-F8-C1-FEF

Going into that fight, I went through the whole range of scenarios I saw playing out. I was hovering around 50/50 the whole time but was initially leaning towards Makhachev. As the fight got close though, I swung towards a Charles win. I wanted Charles to win so maybe there was a little bit of wishful thinking there but I genuinely thought Oliveira would just prove too well rounded. I donā€™t think even the biggest Makhachev/Dagestani bum sniffers couldā€™ve predicted the fight to go quite how it did. Makhachev pretty much bossed the fight from start to finish. Got tagged a few times but held his own in the striking way more than I expected, then finished it by submission! Post-fight, Makhachev dedicated the win to his late coach Abdulmanap Nurmagomedovā€¦

ā€œYou know, Abdulmanap always told me when I was young, ā€˜You gonna be championā€™. My coach was the first to believe in me. I wasnā€™t special, I wasnā€™t different from the rest and throughout my career he believed in me and told me that I would be champion, that I just needed to practice. And today, when I became champion, I would really like to put the belt on my coach in the octagon.ā€ - Islam MakhachevĀ 

7821-F525-98-BD-408-B-8-C30-ABA52-DA1405

Khabibā€™s been quoted in the past saying Makhachev was always one of his Dadā€™s favourite students and saw him as the next in line behind Khabib. ā€œWhen you leave, Islam will arriveā€ is how Khabib remembers him putting it. Itā€™s a shame he didnā€™t live long enough to see that moment. Very interesting times ahead. Itā€™s kind of unusual but Makhachev winning the title feels like the start of something more than the culmination of a journey. Because he didnā€™t face all those big names on the way up, itā€™s all fresh fights going forward. And this one is as intriguing as any of them.

4-A6-D62-B1-CCDA-41-CD-886-B-2-B5-B9-EF3

Volkanovski, in my opinion, is the pound-for-pound number one fighter in the sport right now. Name me a better choice. A man in his absolute prime and firing on all cylinders. Heā€™s 25-1 with 15 finishes and currently on a 22 fight winning streak. His only career defeat was way back in 2013 in a fight up at Welterweight. Hard to really hold that against him considering it was only his fourth pro fight and he was fighting 2 divisions out of his optimum weight class. If heā€™d been at 145/155 his whole career, heā€™d obviously be undefeated now. It was a bit of a slow burn for a while but heā€™s just kept winning and winning and winning. Over the last few years heā€™s stopped Chad Mendes, beat the legendary Jose Aldo in Brazil, survived the BJJ onslaught of Brian Ortega and battered him, smashed up the Korean Zombie to the point Zombieā€™s now talking about retiring. Oh and heā€™s gone 3-0 over some bloke called Max Holloway.

1-C87800-F-837-B-47-CD-A882-F181-E51-D38

An insane run. That third Holloway fight in July was probably the best performance of Volkā€™s career, and thatā€™s saying a lot. Honestly, when you factor in how great Holloway is, the way Volk just completely shut him down and outclassed him, it was one of the greatest displays Iā€™ve ever seen. I never thought heā€™d be able to top how clearly he beat Max in their first fight but he really drove a final nail in their rivalry with that third fight. It was a complete shutout. Nobody dominates Holloway like that. Even up at 155, Poirier had to go life and death with Max in a war to beat him. Volk just looked on another level. It was hard to imagine who could even be next in line to challenge Volk after that. As much talent as there is at 145, everyone seemed to be a win or two away. Volk made it clear after the fight that heā€™d be up for going up to 155 and doing the champ vs champ thing. Given the state of the Featherweight division and what Volk had accomplished, the UFC couldnā€™t really deny him. He was even the backup for Oliveira vs Makhachev in October. Thankfully that fight went ahead but it was only fair that Volkanovski would get first crack at the winner.

DDF9885-A-2-CB0-4-F8-E-BA1-A-E6-D13-FA48

The ā€˜Superfightā€™ is on. Like I said, it doesnā€™t feel as big as it should. Maybe thatā€™s just because itā€™s still a bit of a way off but I think itā€™s a bit more than that. I think if Oliveira had won that Makhachev fight, this would feel like a bigger deal just because Oliveira is more popular and had put a little run together as champ at 155. Him coming off those wild fights against Gaethje, Poirier and Chandler and then facing Volkanovski whoā€™s been dominating at 145 wouldā€™ve felt like a real clash of titans. Whereas Makhachevā€™s literally just won the belt. There hadnā€™t been time for us to build up a desire to really wanna see this one. But now itā€™s booked, I canā€™t wait to see how it goes. Volk sounds bang up for it as well.

ā€œNo disrespect, but thatā€™s why this fight is so big to me. Itā€™s the Dagestani wrestling, no-one can figure it out, theyā€™re on a roll and all that. Khabibā€™s there, Islam, what heā€™s been doing his last few fights. All that. I was chasing the ā€˜champ champā€™, thatā€™s what motivated me even before I knew who I was fighting. As soon as Islam won and the people started talking, bang, thatā€™s all I cared about is taking out Islam. Especially being a Featherweight moving up to Lightweight. Then fighting not only any Lightweight, youā€™re going to Dagestani wrestling Islam whoā€™s known to just control and throw around all these Lightweights. When I get my hand raised, it just makes it so much bigger. Itā€™s going to be extra special getting both belts on them shoulders, but also who Iā€™m taking out in the process.ā€

ā€œDo I think this is gonna be easy? No. Does it need a lot of preparation? Yeah, it does, definitely. But just because itā€™s a challenge, should I just protect my record, protect this pound-for-pound spot? Nah. Take it on. Itā€™s going to make you a better fighter. And honestly, Iā€™ve still got 8 weeks left and Iā€™m already twice the fighter I was. Iā€™m stronger than Iā€™ve ever been. I love people doubting me. Seeing people like, ā€˜Heā€™s gonna be too big, too strongā€™ and all this. The challenge, the opponent Iā€™ve got, that excites me. Going for ā€˜champ champā€™ and taking out Islam is really what people are going to remember. A lot of people think heā€™s unstoppable right now, Iā€™m going to show that he is stoppable.ā€ - Alexander Volkanovski

I like it. Confidence but not delusional. I still get the feeling we havenā€™t seen the best of Makhachev yet. Which is quite scary to think about. The toughest opponent heā€™s had so far was Oliveira and he rose to the occasion and looked better than ever in that one. I get the feeling heā€™s one of those fighters who needs to feel that element of danger to bring the best out of them. While Volk doesnā€™t offer the immediate threat Oliveira does in terms of knockouts or submissions, heā€™s so technically sound and makes so few mistakes that, even with the size disadvantage, heā€™s gonna be the trickiest test for Islam yet. Iā€™d love to see Volk pull this off. Itā€™d be a career defining achievement in an already all time great career. Heā€™s already one of the best ever for me, a win like this would undeniably cement him as the possible GOAT. I am slightly favouring Makhachev though. I just think at this level, that size edge is probably gonna make the difference. But the more Iā€™m thinking about it, I can see this being a lot tougher for Islam than I originally thought. Volkā€™s the better striker, we know that. But even the grappling, I donā€™t think Islamā€™s necessarily gonna have an easy time getting those takedowns. I think Volkā€™s short, stocky frame could actually benefit him there. Itā€™s such an interesting matchup. Crossing everything that it goes ahead but I do think they should try and get a couple of backups on the card just incase. Or even just pay Beneil Dariush to make weight as a precaution. Hopefully it wonā€™t be necessary though because I really wanna see this fight play out now.

Ā 

2-C728-BFF-BD51-480-F-AA41-F09-C902-FB2-

Yair Rodriguez vs Josh Emmett co-headlines. For interim Featherweight gold. Yeah, not really needed but you know the UFCā€™s fetish for interim titles. Any excuse. And with Volk up at 155 challenging Makhachev, it gives the division something to fight over in the meantime, I guess. Iā€™m not usually the biggest fan of interim belts but I donā€™t mind it in this case actually. And of course, thereā€™s always the chance Volk wins the 155 belt and never comes back down in weight. I think thatā€™s unlikely but at least if that happens, they can just upgrade this interim belt to full champ status. I think Volk will be back at 145 regardless though. As a fight this is fine. Although I do think itā€™s a tad harsh on Arnold Allen myself. I think he deserved to be in there but I did read he was injured so fuck knows? Thisā€™ll do.

274-C7-C19-560-D-4995-B905-AB7-F15620115

Yairā€˜s a funny one. Weā€™ve discussed it a bunch over the years but heā€™s such an odd case. Exciting as fuck to watch, he just does these disappearing acts every now and then and heā€™s wasted big chunks of what shouldā€™ve been his prime fighting years. At this point Iā€™m just grateful when he does show up. Heā€™s only just turned 30, heā€™s still got some time ahead of him as long as he stays healthy. And maybe now heā€™s in the title mix heā€™ll stick around. Maybe weā€™ll look back on his breaks as a smart move. Heā€™s got such a wild and aggressive style, it probably wouldnā€™t be a good idea to fight 3 times a year, to be honest. The fact he was able to come back after 2 whole years of inactivity and have that 5 round war with Max Holloway was crazy. Then he got that win over Ortega in July but it was a bit of an anticlimactic ending with Ortegaā€™s injury and stuff. The more Iā€™m thinking about it, it is a bit weird that Yairā€™s going for an interim title based on recent results. Oh well. Shouldnā€™t be boring.

5-ACB2-DD8-3863-4-AC8-82-B7-623149612-A5

Emmettā€™s deserving of the spot for sure but even then, his last win over Calvin Kattar in June was a very debatable decision. I think I had Kattar winning actually but it wasnā€™t some terrible robbery or anything. Heā€™s on a solid 5 fight streak though. And at nearly 38 years old, time is of the essence. This is surely his last run at UFC gold. Heā€™s never gonna get it done while Volkanovski is around, but maybe he can at least hold the interim belt. It sounds harsh but thatā€™s as good as itā€™s getting for either man here, isnā€™t it? Unless Volk falls off or permanently moves up to 155, everyone at 145 is fighting for the silver medal. Not sure how this one goes. Havenā€™t given it much thought but my first feeling is Yair on points. Emmett has the bigger punching power and it wonā€™t shock me if he clips Yair. I think the more likely scenario though, is Yair just being too fast, having a wider variety of weapons and getting the better of most of the exchanges over 5 rounds. Should be enjoyable enough.

Ā 

74-D71240-4-DCD-4-BD9-B173-956-E6-FBCF49

Jack Della Maddalena vs Randy Brown is ***WANDā€™S ONE TO WATCH***Ā now. Was the Tyson Pedro fight but I said if something better got added Iā€™d change it, and here we are. Really like the sound of this. Iā€™ve been pretty high on Maddalena since I first saw him, thought he was one of the best signings of 2022 by far myself. Only 26 years old, 13-2 and on a 13 fight win streak, 12 finishes. He made his UFC debut last January and has gone 3-0 in the Octagon since with 3 first round knockouts and picked up two POTN bonuses. Stopped heavy handed Pete Rodriguez in his debut in January, finished durable Russian Ramazan Emeev in June, then bashed up Danny Roberts in November.

image.gif.49d74103f7ae38e72a209fd5ccd9d17d.gif

He looks the business. Of course thereā€™s questions to be asked. Weā€™ve only really seen his striking so far and, while he looks really sharp there, obviously thereā€™s more to MMA than that. And one of his early losses was by submission. Still, canā€™t knock his performances so far. I like him as well. From the few interviews Iā€™ve seen he just seems like a normal, laid back family man. Young Volk vibes. He was actually born in Perth as well so getting him on this card was a no brainer. Glad they got him a fight. There were some rumours of him fighting Li Jingliang, which wouldā€™ve been a fun one, but thisā€™ll do nicely. Randy Brown is a fairly significant step up, I reckon. Heā€™s not a big name but heā€™s definitely a tougher test than anyone weā€™ve seen Maddalena in with yet. Heā€™s 16-4, on a 4 fight winning streak himself, and has wins over Francisco Trinaldo, Khaos Williams, Alex Oliveira, Warlley Alves, Bryan Barberena and Mickey Gall. Yeah, not a whoā€™s who but itā€™s a decent resume. Brownā€™s a big Welterweight as well at 6ā€™3ā€ with a 78 inch reach. Could be a tricky one for Maddalena. Really interested to see how he does striking with someone like Brown.

Ā 

0-AC8-CA99-06-BE-48-EB-83-EC-1-C830992-B

Justin Tafa vs Parker Porter is the obligatory fat fuck Heavyweight offering this time. Every card must have one, I guess. I donā€™t mind this though. Neither are much good but Tafa is a guy Iā€™ve had a soft spot for ever since I saw his barmy slobberknocker with Carlos Felipe a while ago.

image.gif.98c4f826efd7e4bf9f844dc36cb6c006.gif

Somehow it went the distance with them swinging like that! Like I say, Tafaā€™s not gonna amount to much. Even in a shallow pool of talent like HW. Heā€™s 5-3 and going nowhere. But as low a level as heā€™s operating on, Iā€™d rather see someone like him kept on the roster than a lot of the shitehawks that populate the division. At least heā€™s not boring. Heā€™s coming into this fight off a first round headkick knockout over Harry Hunsucker but hasnā€™t fought in over a year. Tafa made history in that one as well. He became the first fighter in UFC history to miss weight at Heavyweight!! A true pioneer. With emphasis on the pie. I hope he wins here because Porter is cack and doesnā€™t even have the good grace to be entertainingly shit. Heā€™s 12-7 and coming off a quick submission loss to Jailton Almeida in May. Aside from that, I say it every time he fights but all these years later, the most notable thing about Porterā€™s record is still that he got knocked out in 36 seconds by some rookie named Jon Jones back in 2008. Says it all really.

Ā 

35-FD9-C8-F-768-C-4157-8076-3940-D7-B271

Jimmy Crute vs Alonzo Menifield is a decent enough fight for a mess of a division like 205. Even this though, both were kind of seen as prospects at one point but itā€™s clear theyā€™re not really going anywhere now. Feels like theyā€™re both just gonna stay in this middle of the pack spot forever, trading wins and losses at the same level. Kind of sums up what the Light Heavyweight division has become in recent years. Cruteā€™s gonna be the crowd favourite being an Aussie. Heā€™s still only 26, which is very young by 205ā€™s standards of today. He has some solid wins over Paul Craig, Michal Oleksiejczuk andā€¦Sam Alvey. But heā€™s already lost to Misha Cirkunov, whoā€™s nothing special and now gone from the company. And heā€™s coming into this fight off a couple of stoppage defeats to Anthony Smith and Jamahal Hill. The ceiling has been hit a couple of times now.

CF545-A46-CBF4-44-A4-8-E85-0-D53184475-D

Menifieldā€™s my guy here. He came in a few years back off DWCS. He was undefeated at the time, with all his wins by knockout and had brief spells in Bellator and LFA. His UFC stint got off to a good start and he stopped Paul Craig in a round in 2019. It all went to shite after that though. Heā€™s 13-3 now and the losses were to very average opposition. Heā€™s no better than Crute on paper. I just like him more. Seems a likeable guy from bits Iā€™ve seen. Heā€™s got back on track a bit lately as well. He got a TKO over that ā€˜one and doneā€™ weirdo Askar Mozharov in June, then sparked Cirkunov in about 90 seconds as pictured above. Not a bad little fight for what it is. But it feels meaningless and certainly not PPV worthy.

Ā 

6-AE65-D2-A-85-BD-4-A41-AF31-F1202-C4-E6

Tyson Pedro vs Modestas Bukauskas is a late switch up. Pedro was originally supposed to fight Octagon newbie Zhang Mingyang who fought on that ā€˜Road To UFCā€™ thing. Mingyang withdrew and that cleared the way for Bukauskas to make his UFC return. He was a former Cage Warriors champion and sounded quite promising when he signed with the UFC but it didnā€™t pan out for him. He went 1-3 overall in that stint and his last loss was gruesome. UFC watchers last saw him in September 2021 getting his knee kicked backwards by Khalil Rountree in fucking horrific fashionā€¦

image.gif.6029ad0181cda8d671c47473158b313a.gif

Christ! The UFC let him go not long after as well, which I thought was harsh but he was on a 3 fight losing streak. It was hard not to feel bad for him though, getting binned right after that injury. He returned to Cage Warriors in November and has won 2 fights there since. He reclaimed their vacant Light Heavyweight title with a 4th round knockout in his last fight in December and here we are. Iā€™m a fan of this matchup actually. I like Pedro and itā€™s been great to see him return and get a couple of wins after the absolute horror show of injuries heā€™s dealt with in recent years. He was on the shelf from 2018 all the way to 2022, a lifetime in MMA. Heā€™s came back with a couple of quick finishes but it was only Ike Villanueva and Harry Hunsucker, nothing to get too excited about. But if anyone needed a couple of squash matches, it was Pedro. On paper, this should be more of a test though. Hopefully Bukauskas has his swagger back now and itā€™ll make for a good scrap.

Ā 

6-A390-CCE-1527-49-A0-A96-D-6650-C65-E4-

Josh Culibao vs Melsik Baghdasaryan is filler but not bad filler. Culibaoā€™s Aussie, 28 years old with a record of 10-1-1. His only loss is against Jalin Turner, no shame there, Turnerā€™s on the rise. Since then heā€™s managed to take Charles Jourdain to a draw and has picked up a couple of points wins in his last two outings. Nothing amazing about him but I vaguely recall him being decent. Baghdasaryan is 31, Armenian and 7-1 with 5 knockouts. He also had a Kickboxing record of 9-2 with 4 knockouts and a Boxing record of 3-0 with 1 knockout. So heā€™s had a bit of a dabble in pretty much everything. Made his UFC debut in July 2021, getting a second round finish over Collin Anglin. I remember him looking really good in that one. He then took a decision off Bruno Souza on the MSG card that November but was inactive throughout 2022 for whatever reason.

Ā 

77-B10-EA7-A2-C1-451-D-B2-EA-1448-B6679-

Kleydson Rodrigues vs Shannon Ross. Iā€™ll give it a bash. Never seen Shannon Ross before but Iā€™m gonna be rooting for Rodrigues regardless. Heā€™s a student of Big Nog! How could I not?Ā 

7-BC358-E0-83-A6-4928-9-FE9-9-BF88-BCBBD

Heā€™s 27 years old and has a record of 7-2 with 5 finishes. Nogā€™s high on him but he would be with him being his protĆ©gĆ©, wouldnā€™t he? Heā€™s already hit a roadblock in his UFC debut in May though, losing a split decision to CJ Vergara. I donā€™t think I saw that fight but maybe the split decision could be an indicator it was close or even controversial? Whatever the case, I hope he gets his first Octagon win here. Ross is Australian, 12-6 with 7 finishes and coming off a TKO loss on DWCS in August. Bit odd that heā€™s being given a shot coming off a stoppage loss when other guys on DWCS donā€™t even get picked up after a win. But I guess they just want Aussie bodies to fill up this card.

Ā 

E8-AB43-A2-D096-45-F1-8058-533-DDB2-DBB5

Jamie Mullarkey vs Francisco Prado is a late change thatā€™s kind of caught my eye. It was supposed to be Mullarkey against Nasrat Haqparast but Haqparast is out and I think this might actually be better. Mullarkeyā€™s the definition of a scrapper. Doesnā€™t seem like the brightest bulb and that picture of him with his UFC Venum shorts on backwards pretty much confirms that, but heā€™s always in entertaining fights win or lose. His UFC debut against Brad Riddell a few years ago was an absolute barnburner that I loved. I mention it every time him or Riddell fight and I make no apologies for it. If you never saw it, fix that. Heā€™s 15-5 now and coming off what I remember being a bit of an iffy split decision over Michael Johnson in July. Once again though, a fun fight.Ā Prado makes his first Octagon appearance here. Never heard of him but, just looking him up now, he sounds like a good signing. Heā€™s Argentinian, only 20 years old and he currently has a perfect record of 11-0, all finishes. None of the names on his record jump out but at 20 heā€™s not gonna have fought a whoā€™s who. Fair play to him because Mullarkey is a tough fight for a 20 year old making his UFC debut. Especially considering itā€™s on short notice and on Mullarkeyā€™s home turf in Australia.

Ā 

5-B84-AA32-44-DF-47-D9-A2-EC-5-D1903-DAB

Jack Jenkins vs Don Shainis. Donā€™t know, donā€™t particularly care but it might be OK. Iā€™m just not familiar enough with either man to be looking forward to it. Sherdog tells me Jenkins is from Melbourne and his record currently standsĀ at 10-2Ā with 8 finishes. His age isnā€™t even listed! He got a late TKO win on DWCS in his last fight in September. Thatā€™s about it. Shainis is 12-4 with 10 finishes. He made his UFC debut on short notice back in October and got guillotine choked in 30 seconds by Sodiq Yusuff. Not the best first impression but it was late notice. Letā€™s see what heā€™s got after a full training camp. If nothing else, these two sound like they go for the kill so it might be decent.

Ā 

9497-DD5-E-DCFD-4-AEF-AA6-C-3-CFF9-D9-C1

Loma Lookboonmee vs Elise Reed is obviously nothing to get excited about but I usually enjoy watching Lookboonmee fight. Sheā€™s never gonna be a contender I donā€™t think. Sheā€™s only 27 but I just donā€™t see her ever having enough of a well rounded MMA skillset to really make a dent in the Strawweight division. But for where she usually is on the cards, I donā€™t mind watching her style on these ham and eggers with her Muay Thai every now and then. This is the type of fight she usually wins as well. I donā€™t really rate Reed. Sheā€™s had a couple of alright decision wins over Cory McKenna and Melissa Martinez but I reckon Loma should school her on the feet here.

Ā 

3-B6035-BA-B781-4581-9-C59-C267635-CBF70

Blake Bilder vs Shane Young is a bit of a mystery really but Iā€™ll take a look. Itā€™s Bilderā€™s Octagon debut and Iā€™d never heard of him before this fight was announced but heā€™s undefeated at 7-0-1, with 5 finishes, and is coming off a submission victory on DWCS in August. The last time we saw New Zealandā€™s Young was March 2021. He lost on points to Omar Morales that night. Heā€™s 13-6 overall now and hasnā€™t really done anything of note, although he did go the distance with Volkanovski on a UFC undercard in 2017.

Ā 

F17-DB7-DD-8743-4-F00-AE4-C-E03-A02-E16-

Zubaira Tukhugov vs Elves Brenner.Ā Not arsed. Tukhugov does nothing for me. Heā€™s got a decent enough record of 20-5-1 but heā€™s been on the roster since 2014 now and has done very little that sticks in the memory. He beat Ricardo Ramos by decision last time out, which isnā€™t a bad win. But that was well over a year ago now. He missed all of 2022. Honestly, the only thing I remember Tukhugov for is that he was the guy who jumped in the cage and suckerpunched Conor McGregor during the chaos after the Khabib fight years ago. If thatā€™s your claim to fame after a 26 fight career, itā€™s not saying much is it? Brenner is making his UFC debut here and stepping in on late notice. Heā€™s filling in for Joel Alvarez who pulled out for undisclosed reasons. A quick look on Sherdog tells me Brenner is 25 years old and 13-3 with 12 finishes, 11 via submission. Nothing leaps off the screen about his record but heā€™s coming off a first round submission in PFL in his last fight nearly a year ago.

Ā 

UFC Perf.Ā 

09B89AF7-48AE-4478-AE5E-F165B47CB7EE.gif

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Don't think I've watched a UFC live in the past few years but Volk vs Makhachev feels like one to be there for - you've either got Volkanovski cementing himself even further among the best to ever do it, or you've got more evidence that Islam is about to be 155's Volkanovski. Might just set an alarm for it though because as you say the undercard is underwhelming for this one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Those top two fights are great, supported by a Fight Night undercard.Ā 

Volkanovski Vs Makhachev is pretty huge. Two guys at the peak of the powers, undeniably the best in their respective divisions, facing off to decide perhaps the best lighter weight fighter in the sport. Probably the pound for pound best fighter in the sport really.Ā 

For once I don't have a big issue with the interim FW belt. If Volk loses here, it firmly sets out his next challenger for the summer. If Volkanovski wins the Lightweight belt, I do expect him to come back down to 145, but not until after he would try to defend the 155 belt first in the summer. In that case it's good to have another champ set up in case it's 2024 before Volkanovski would be ready to fight at 145 again.Ā 

Justin Tafa Vs Parker Porter on a PPV main card though? Don't care if it's in Oz, that's pish. Needed maybe one other strong fight with divisional importance in that 3rd main card slot.Ā 

• Paid Members

Makachev/Volkanovski skill for skill might be the best 'Superfight' in the history of the sport for me, its great. If Volkanovski pulls this off he enters legit GOAT territory. Cannot wait.

They've fallen a little unlucky with the card, they lost Whitaker and Kara-France leading in.

Edited by Egg Shen

Makachev has come out on Twitter (and for once a fighter takes to social media too air a grievance and its a fucking valid point) and said it's almost insulting that this fight with volkanovski is round the corner yet there has been no advertising or push for it at all yet power slap is being promoted and pushed online massively.

You absolutely cannot disagree or argue with this at all, 2 champions going in there for potential double champ status and the company is more interested in promoting a venture that is being panned and demolished worldwide yet this ppv is being overlooked and under valuedĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

Adding to what Ebb says, Mayweather/McGregor this aint. Suggesting a world tour for this fight makes him sound like his ego has gotten way out of control. As good as these guys are, Volk and Islam are not going to set the PPV world on fire with this one. The added 'draw' of Champ vs Champ means nothing these days either. Theres going to plenty of 'bigger' fights (in terms of interest) in the coming year, so have no issues with the lack of promotion so far.