UFC 284: Makhachev vs Volkanovski - Feb 11 🇦🇺

wandshogun09

Who wins?   

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Moderators

Dana channeling his eskimo brother Brayden Schorb with that "Don't even know your name B".

I'm a huge fan of Big Volk, so this actually captures my interest which is a first in a while. I think Volk is well placed to handle Islam's wrestling, especially as he has been working with Craig Jones who has a "just stand up" style of anti-wrestling jiu-jitsu.

• Paid Members

Bastard UFC scheduling. I was off last weekend when there was that poor effort of an Apex card. This week is my seven day stretch, get home on Sunday evening but the Superbowl is on that night and I'm away on Monday. Bollocks. Not sure when I'll fit this one in. Maybe up very early Sunday morning to catch the two title fights? 

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members

I suppose it's true, but it feels like a bit of a trumped-up claim, partly because this is only Makhachev's first defence. In a way, it feels like a bit of a waste of time making it a championship match, because there's more value in it being a P4P dream match than a champ superfight. But you can't have this match without it being for the belt, so it's kind of inevitable, I suppose.

4 hours ago, thevestofdeanambrose said:

8/1 for Volk to win by KO. A tempting flutter. 

Not so sure. In his seven fights against the top tier guys in the UFC, hes TKO'd in two of them. Hes fighting a guy who hasnt lost since 2015, and hes going up in weight. 8/1 doesnt seem enough for me.

• Paid Members

I’d love to see Volk win and he’s too good for me to count him out. But I’d be very surprised if he wins by knockout. Probably the only thing he doesn’t seem to have is that big fight ending punching power. He hasn’t been knocking people out at the top levels of Featherweight so then you factor in he’s going up in weight against a guy who’s probably not gonna want to stand in front of him for extended periods of time to where Volk can rack up the points/accumulative damage and a knockout seems highly unlikely. All that said, much weirder things have happened in MMA and it’s probably worth chucking a bit of coin on it just in case. I’m favouring Makhachev but the closer it’s getting and the more I’m seeing and reading from Volk, the more he’s convincing me he might pull it off. 

I’ve massively neglected the buildup (such as it’s been) for this. Just had other shit going on. Every time I’ve seen Dana White the last few weeks he’s just been shilling this rancid Power Slap shite and the times he has actually talked about this fight, he’s forgot Makhachev’s name. I get that the world tour of press conferences Makhachev was on about wasn’t gonna happen and I get that the real promotion of any card doesn’t fully kick in until fight week. But Jesus Christ. Nobody can tell me they couldn’t have done a better job of making this feel a bit more special. Even with Makhachev having just won the title, it’s such a fascinating matchup and probably the highest level champion vs champion fight the promotion has put on. At least since Jones vs Cormier anyway. I see the press conference was last night so I’ll give that a look in a bit. I might even watch the Countdown and Embedded this time. I’m well up for this fight but the fact it feels like just another card is madness.

05CE9859-A326-4F95-9E31-F423E7BDBC8D.jpeg

3AB9543D-0DD9-4CE5-9857-BF99F9C19555.jpeg