Favourite character transformation ever?

air_raid

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Does Real Mans Man Steven Regal change to William Regal count? Because if so that’s my pick. That run from debut, through European Champion to tagging with Tajiri and becoming commissioner was an excellent run. Or at least through my rose tinted specs.

I enjoyed the 1993 bland babyface Steve Regal morphing into Lord Steven w/ Sir William more than anything he did in the WWF tbh. What a joy it was and you could also tell that they were having a great time. The WCW character always felt a bit more organic than the forced WWE stuff.

Used to tickle my Dad that he insisted on being announced in stones rather than American lbs, which was quite a feat given how much he hated wrestling.

Could surely have dropped Blackpool for Windsor or something after the turn though!

• Paid Members

The other side of Regal character transformations is him moving from a purely comedic heel to a more vicious and sadistic one in the WWE, with the longer hair, the robes, and so on, and being a believable threat without ever feeling like he'd just started playing a brand new character, then growing from that into a kind of respected elder statesman role. 

As far as recent transformations go, Miro switching from Kip Sabian's videogame addict buddy to The Redeemer has to be my favourite. It's hard to even consider that these two characters are the same person, his Redeemer character feels so far removed from the shit that came before it. 

Brodie Lee's journey from Luke Harper, to the sinister, bullying leader of The Dark Order was also fantastic. He stumbled a little, with his initial Vince McMahon tribute act, but when he found his footing, he became an integral part of AEW television. 

• Paid Members

I mean, for all his problems and everything else, Vince McMahon going from mild mannered butt-of-the-joke announcer to admitting he owned the company to embracing his arsehole self and becoming Mr McMahon was one of the greatest character changes in wrestling history. Who would have thought there was such a wildly entertaining heel in there, capable of being the other side of the feud to the most over wrestler of the time? 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Could surely have dropped Blackpool for Windsor or something after the turn though!

I always assumed that was a bit of an in joke / personal think for regal the Americans wouldn't think about what with Eaton being billed from Stoke of all places 

• Paid Members

Kenny Omega going from happy-go-lucky, Mr. 50/50, to unbeatable, arrogant, selfish dickhead is my all time favourite. It’s even better that it happened on a meta level too, where for nearly two years it felt like Kenny was another one of those, “good in Japan!” chumps who could never put it together on American television, and then in one single moment he switched it on, pulled the troll face, and revealed he was so fucking great that he could simply decide to be the best in the world whenever he was ready to do so.

DE07D51F-0514-451B-9D36-B115571D9E2D.gif.0213a8010e22e881ae071782935cdf74.gif

For me, that’s up there with Mankind ripping the mask off to reveal Cactus Jack in January 2000. In one moment he turned into the greatest heel in decades. Extra points that it took Dave Meltzer another few weeks to realise it.

The run he went on from that moment on was like he’d purposely been so average and disappointing up until that point on purpose. Like the generic workrate exhibitions and wanky BTE babyface stuff had been a conscious decision to lay this rubbish foundation he would eventually pull from underneath everyone. “Psyche! I actually am as good as everyone always said! If not better!”

It was the perfect run. Amazing heel work. Awesome matches. Brilliant clobber. The greatest story ever told with Hangman. The greatest pay off in the history of the business. If Omega had retired at that point he’d have completely proven his point. He is the best. Waltzed in from Japan and did American TV pro-wrestling arguably better than anyone ever. Look at this superstar!

C43C73C1-94AD-4341-9EEB-F120FFC02E8A.thumb.webp.50aee98cc3fa6ceccc065d12a0b45682.webp

Fuck, I miss him. I cannot WAIT for his return. The Bucks and Hangman getting beaten down by the Jericho Appreciation Society some time soon? Send The Cleaner!

Edited by Supremo